Looking for some help with Wounded Warriors

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Re: Looking for some help with Wounded Warriors

Postby Lngbrdr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:26 am

fishenmitch wrote:I was talking with Max (foundation founder) this eve and we have been seeing a need for waders and camo gear to be able to send home with the vets so that they will be able to continue to hunt afterwards. If any one has some extra gear that they are not using we can get it to those who could use it in a great way. I am located in Sac but get around the valley, and we also have a board member in So Cal. Just let me know, thanks for all the help, Mitch.

XL Columbia 'Widgeon' wading jacket with liner in 'Delta Marsh' pattern is yours! It has been used but is washed, clean, and in very good order. I will bring it to the event. :thumbsup:
Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association
CEO/Founder
www.cvwa.us

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -Thomas Paine, 1776
Lngbrdr
hunter

Postby fishenmitch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Lngbrdr wrote:
fishenmitch wrote:I was talking with Max (foundation founder) this eve and we have been seeing a need for waders and camo gear to be able to send home with the vets so that they will be able to continue to hunt afterwards. If any one has some extra gear that they are not using we can get it to those who could use it in a great way. I am located in Sac but get around the valley, and we also have a board member in So Cal. Just let me know, thanks for all the help, Mitch.

XL Columbia 'Widgeon' wading jacket with liner in 'Delta Marsh' pattern is yours! It has been used but is washed, clean, and in very good order. I will bring it to the event. :thumbsup:

Bro I can't thank you enough for all that you are doing here, getting a club hunt together and now some gear to, this is awesome.
fishenmitch
hunter

Postby Lngbrdr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:39 pm

No thanks needed friend. :fingerpt: Im just stoked I can help out in some way. :thumbsup:
Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association
CEO/Founder
www.cvwa.us

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -Thomas Paine, 1776
Lngbrdr
hunter

Postby fishenmitch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Lngbrdr wrote:No thanks needed friend. :fingerpt: Im just stoked I can help out in some way. :thumbsup:

We got 4 great wounded vets for the hunt on 1-11, we have a Viet Nam vet, a vet from Dessert Storm, 1 from Iraq Freedom and 1 from Afgan, 3 out of the 4 have never been on a vet hunt before, they are all stoked to hunt, should be awesome to see and be a part of..
fishenmitch
hunter

Postby hunt4geese1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:24 am

Mitch
Call me at Cibola Sportsmans Club. I will get you set up .

Thanks
Tim Corbett
hunt4geese1
Newb

Postby Oroville » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:50 pm

I can take a guy out, if you got any vets in Walnut Creek area that are itching for a spot to hunt let me know! I have a 2 man blind between Sacramento and Delevan Refuge. Always down to take a wounded warrior out!
Oroville
Newb

Postby fishenmitch » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:52 pm

hunt4geese1 wrote:Mitch
Call me at Cibola Sportsmans Club. I will get you set up .

Thanks
Tim Corbett

Thanks Tim, left you a message, Mitch.
fishenmitch
hunter

Postby fishenmitch » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Oroville wrote:I can take a guy out, if you got any vets in Walnut Creek area that are itching for a spot to hunt let me know! I have a 2 man blind between Sacramento and Delevan Refuge. Always down to take a wounded warrior out!

Thank you so much we will get with you on this and line up a shooter, that is great!!
fishenmitch
hunter

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:50 pm

i dont have any property but happy to help in any way i can..pm me if you can use me please
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter

Postby fishenmitch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:50 am

SmackinTheQuackin wrote:i dont have any property but happy to help in any way i can..pm me if you can use me please

Will do, thanks bro !!!
fishenmitch
hunter

Postby MaxBuilder » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Hello all,
My name is Max Fregoso and I would like to thank you for all the positive comments and the offers for hunts and equipment. My wife and I started the foundation about a year ago with the idea of taking 2 or 3 Warriors out on hunts in the first year, well that has all changed and we are not sure where this will take us as in the past 10 months we have taken active duty and veterans out on over 40 hunts and 2 military families on skiing trips. This is all because of guys like you that believe not only in hunting but giving back to our military men and women who have given so much.
I would like to thank you again and if you have any questions or comments you can call me directly at 916-275-5372 (yes Mike I will answer), I'm thick skinned so don't think you will hurt my feelings if you feel there is something we are doing right or wrong as we are very new to this and appreciate the input.

Regards,
-Max Fregoso
MaxBuilder
Newb

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:09 pm

no problem brother just let me know :thumbsup:
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter

Postby SGT Greenhead » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:29 am

I can say as a vet who has been on 2 hunts with the Fergoso foundation that the foundation is top notch and that max is an incredible man. What he is doing for guys like me is unbelievable. myself and others are honored to be blessed with these hunts. If doing something for charity this is your opportunity to support a great organization. And Max, if you read this, thank you for everything!
Jake
SGT Greenhead
hunter

Postby MaxBuilder » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks Jake that means a lot to hear this.
This post has generated some great hunts in the near future that I will post about. You guys have really stepped up as a matter of fact thanks to Mike Callison (qakhntr26) we were able to get a soldier his daughter and his father on a duck yesterday. It was a great thing seeing this soldier his daughter and his father hunting together when only a couple years ago this was something very far from all their thoughts. Here is a great clip on that soldier and how far he has come, that soldier was Bret Miller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31YwsDpdmQ
MaxBuilder
Newb

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:20 am

Short notice, but if you have anybody who would like to come up here and scull with me before the 20th I've got the two man boat ready to go.

Gene
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby fishenmitch » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Mean Gene wrote:Short notice, but if you have anybody who would like to come up here and scull with me before the 20th I've got the two man boat ready to go.

Gene

Gene that is really awesome and I know that it would be a special hunt for sure, we will see if that will work for 1 of the vets, thanks again.
fishenmitch
hunter

Postby fishenmitch » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 pm

vet hunt matthews 005.JPG
vet hunt matthews 007.JPG
vet hunt matthews 010.JPG

This last wed we had a vet hunt that came about from this forum with a member stepping up big time, (Lngbrdr) Derek thank you so much for getting the ball rolling on this. here is a quick story about the hunt.

I had the pleasure to join the Fregoso Foundation on a wounded veteran hunt outside of Marysville on a bluebird day in mid-January. To say that this hunt was a success would be a huge understatement as all I ever saw on this trip were big smiles and high fives.

The vets included Brett Miller from Oregon, Katrina Self from Redding, and Howard Garlinger from West Sacramento. These three gave their most honorable service for the USA in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Viet Nam.

At the invitation of the Fregoso Foundation, and the generous hosting of Robert Mathews of Mathews Farms, this trip was a time for healing, a time for companionship, and a time for blasting some ducks.

After a huge dinner spread at the Matthews home, the plan was to meet at the Flamingo Duck Club at 0 dark thirty, a hot and hearty breakfast was served and the Vets were off for blinds unknown.

The group was split up, one group headed off to a blind on the Flamingo property while the other went to the close by Family Club.
Both groups enjoyed excellent conditions with Sprig being the game of the day. The Sprig two bird limits were filled along with some green winged teal, and a few spoonies.

Even with such clear skies and dry ground there was plenty of shooting to be had, there were thousands of sprig willing to work, grinds of ducks and geese filled the horizon. We were treated to a bald eagle soaring 10 yards off the water looking for an easy meal; the rice fields were indeed very good to us.

Like every trip there were some great shots that hit the mark and some easy shots missed, but new friendships were made and many memories were etched in the minds and hearts of all that were there.

These trips are so important for the healing process of these heroes who have served our country with so much sacrifice. To listen to the many conversations between the Vets that take place on these hunts is priceless. There is no such thing as age barriers or cultural differences. They are brothers and sisters in service.

The Fregoso Foundation was established for the sole purpose of making these types of trips a reality. The foundation also works with the Wounded Warrior Project and other Vet organization’s to make these trips happen.

Max Fregoso, the founder of this nonprofit foundation, is a man with a huge heart and the drive to provide this so very important service to those that have given so much. More information can be found at www.fregosofoundation.org. Please check them out and feel free to give Max a call.

There were several others that that helped in a huge way to make this hunt happen including Derek Gregory, Jeremiah Morrell, and the ladies in the kitchen at the Flamingo Club.

When the hunt was over and we were all back at the flamingo clubhouse for another fantastic meal, Max and Robert were already making plans for another hunt in the near future. I would have to say that everyone was blessed by this hunt.

I am not a Vet but I am a father of one and I was so touched to be there, to see the generosity and dedication on so many levels. Thank you Vets for your sacrifice and service to this country and thank you Max Fregoso for your vision and your heart, and thank you Robert Matthews for you generosity and hospitality.
fishenmitch
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Good stuff!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Very good post :thumbsup: :clapping: To all those involved. :beer:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby gonefirefighting » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:34 am

you forgot about the part of shooting dozens of rats at the rice dryers with night vision rigs!

I had a great time and it meant alot to all of us vets who were pulling triggers! thanks to all who where involved!
gonefirefighting
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Glad theres people out there with the means to help helping out! :clapping: Good to see the smiles on the faces of the men and women who have given so much for this country. I am forever grateful :bow:
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Ineteresting, im a disabled vet here in california, deployed in 06 and 07. I e-mail this org and I never got a response of any kind. Hope this isnt one of those org's profiting off donations
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby fishenmitch » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Hey wanapasaki why don't you call Max at the Fregoso foundation, its not a scam, e-mails can fail to make it where they are intended some times.
fishenmitch
hunter

Looking for some help with Wounded Warriors

Postby bill in san jose » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:11 am

My archery club is having our annual Wounded Warrior benefit shoot next Saturday 9/15 at Stevens Creek County Park archery range. PM me if you need more info.

http://www.bhuarchers.org/bow7/uploads/ ... r_2012.pdf
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby Waterfowler7 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:30 pm

gonefirefighting wrote:you forgot about the part of shooting dozens of rats at the rice dryers with night vision rigs!

I had a great time and it meant alot to all of us vets who were pulling triggers! thanks to all who where involved!

Robert is a cool guy, shooting rats at that rice dryer is a kick. The Matthews are great people.
Lock em "n" Rock em
Waterfowler7
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting