catahoula lake

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

catahoula lake

Postby metalworx » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:57 pm

if anyone has an old spot that they are interested in giving up, selling , leasing etc
looking for a place on catahoula that we will not have any issues with squatters causing problems

3 blinds torn up this week alone out there, just want to hunt without trouble out there this year

PM me if you have anything
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Re: catahoula lake

Postby metalworx » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:03 pm

gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 pm

You would have better luck asking for a kidney. :lol3:
POKER1
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 pm

man i heard that place isnt so friendly to outsiders. idk if i would gamble it, i would try Turkey Creek
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby TensasBayou » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am

If the local rednecks are tearing up other people's blinds, then surely the whole lake should have permanent blinds banned as just happened at Wham Brake converting to a WMA.

I beleive that the lake is now a WMA and a NWR anyway

A retired physician from Alexandria told me last year he used to hunt that lake until some vandals tore up his blind out there many years ago. Said he'd put in a lot of work on it. Sad selfishness down there.
TensasBayou
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Wham was turned into a WMA because International Paper who owned wham shut down its plant in bastrop so they had no use for it anymore so they donated it to LDWF. And no permanent blinds are allowed on any WMA
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby metalworx » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:04 pm

i wouldnt mind seeing it become a wma, would be less trouble with others out there, probably better hunting too. wouldnt have 2000 black jugs every 300 yards so a decoy spread would actually mean something
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby TensasBayou » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:29 am

I agree. the State needs to take that property by the horns and put these squatter in their place. The rest of the state's/nation's license holders and taxpayers should have as much access as the "game's locked" local bullies.

Heck, this could probably become a real treasure of a wetland for holding birds in central louisiana if all of those permanent blind and their back jug spread were removed and people hunted from boats like they do in Wax Lake and Venice
TensasBayou
hunter

Postby Toledo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Loads of problems out there that the state ignores. Add massive littering on one of the greatest wetlands in the nation. Every year the locals haul thousands of jugs out on the lake bed and leave them at the end of the season only to add more the next year.

Unfortunately, it will take someone getting shot in an argument before anything is done about the squatters.
Toledo
hunter

Postby metalworx » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

has me stumped as to why they let it operate the way it does
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby Toledo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 am

metalworx wrote:has me stumped as to why they let it operate the way it does

A lot of it lies in the fact that a lot of the squatters are people with pull. Local Judges, DAs, Sheriff, Drs, Etc. You know, the people that everywhere else in the state would normally pay for leases. These people have had their own FREE private lease on public water for years and will fight til the death to keep it.

It WILL change, its just a matter of when.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:48 pm

a lot of the lake is privately owned.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Toledo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Underradar wrote:a lot of the lake is privately owned.

According to some that may be the case. The Louisiana Office of State Lands says otherwise. A settled court case is the only thing that can prove them wrong.
Toledo
hunter

Postby MonsterMallard » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:05 pm

my friend is 34 and has been hunting catahoula his whole like and said he refuses to go on the south side of the lake. he said its real bad down there around catfish lake. north side isnt as bad. ive hunted it several times and had no problem. but he is friends with abuncha them necks but he said he still wont go down south
MonsterMallard
hunter

Postby flight canceler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:25 am

i have had many surveys mailed to me about turning that place into a managed area and i have hunted it for years and i still have problems with people out there, for a while i was against getting rid of permant blinds but now im thinkin it might not be a bad idea, and yes the reason they let it go like it has been is because of the people who have "pull"
flight canceler
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Get rid of the blinds. That place could be crazy good with out all the lazy DB out there that want to just pull up and hunt. Oh we will here about tradition this and that. The tradition is hunting out there nobody said you can't hunt you just can't be lazy. LReynolds needs to post the results of the survey. I also think that alot of the blind crap stays the same because of dumbazzes that have pull
Park Duck
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting