Cedar Creek Lake

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Cedar Creek Lake

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:30 am

are there any special regulations there? we went out there fishin yesterday afternoon and I couldn't beleive all the ducks!!!
Man they were a bunch of them. I can't wait til t-day. We are gonna bust em up!!!!
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Re: Cedar Creek Lake

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:30 am

You and 10 other boats will be there. I know some guys who youth hunted it saturday morning.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:28 am

Best thing to do is hit that lake around 10:00a.m.. That way most of the so called duck hunters are gone!!! Afternoon hunting there is the best...Most people leave after the morning!!!
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:45 am

Its going to be packed on Cedar on T-day i hunted there last year and the parking lot was full and no one there has any consideration for the hunters. I had a guy fishing about 30 yards from me and wouldnt leave. Best advice for that lake is to have a boat if you dont your areas for hunting are very limited, ducks on that lake are not only decoy shy but call shy year round best thing to do is put about 6 decoys out and just sit there, dont call because they will most likely pass you by at about 100 yards in the air. If you are wanting to hunt in the morning get there at about 4am and get all of your stuff set up and just wait for shooting hours. Best days to be on that lake are on the nastiest days of the year. Best day i had was during a snow storm with about 30 ft visability.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Good feedback qs6. Right on target!!!
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby kydog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:20 pm

We don't have I lot of duck on cedar creek right now!!! A lot of coots !! is that what you saw jameduck!!! A coot is not a duck!!!! There is a few teal around!!!
kydog
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:36 pm

on cedar creek you can limit out of coots in about 5 minutes. Just get in your boat and go down the sloughs and i promise you will see about 1200 coots in just one of them. someone needs to do something about all of them. Quackstacker2 i cant always be a smarta$$ if he wants some honest advice i will give it to him. As for me, i wont be going to cedar on opening day i will be in southeastern ky on a farm smacking some big honkers. I might go to cedar once the second season comes in but i will only go through the week, it gets pretty packed on the weekend.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby kydog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Dix river WMA !! Holds more ducks then cedar creek and no coots !!!!! Hard to get to it's!!!
kydog
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:15 pm

kydog i might do me a little hunting on dix river somewhere near rankins bottom. Been seeing some ducks there for a while and just like you said no dang water chickens. :biggrin:
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:32 pm

There's a lot of quackin and stackin going on in central KY. :rolleyes:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:04 pm

duckbuster06 yall always have birds in western ky i know i went to murray and hunted barkley, kenlake, trigg county, ballard and hendo i saw more birds during early season than i did the entire time i hunted in central ky. Where abouts are you from? Here in central ky its a big deal to see a few birds on the lakes. How are the backwaters filling up in that area after that rain we got?
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby kydog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Not sure about that end of the river but Stanford end is great !!! Dix river WMA is some of the best hunting around did not see a hand full of hunters in there last year!!! But if you don't take all your friends to keep the duck moving it can be tough!!! Most of the ducks that come in to cedar creek hang out in the WMA!!!!
kydog
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Hunted it saturday morning for the youth hunt. Saw maybe 10 ducks and around 8,000 coots. My brother shot 2 coots and we loaded up. Shot at a suzie but missed. Cant believe we were the only people out that day. Last year everytime I went the parking lot had atleast 10 trucks in it. and all the pull offs were loaded with walkins. Couldnt believe the crowd last year. Next year things are gona change on that lake with the help of myself and several others. :thumbsup:
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby kydog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Well what's on your mind for the change ! And I bet one of them trucks was mine!!!
kydog
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:51 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:duckbuster06 yall always have birds in western ky i know i went to murray and hunted barkley, kenlake, trigg county, ballard and hendo i saw more birds during early season than i did the entire time i hunted in central ky. Where abouts are you from? Here in central ky its a big deal to see a few birds on the lakes. How are the backwaters filling up in that area after that rain we got?

I've been spending too much time on the wrong creek. I'm closer to you than I am to my spots back home.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:04 pm

i know how you feel when i was in college down there all i did was scout and ask permission to hunt and i got a bunch of places. But luckily i also have some good friends in southeastern ky that i can hunt with so it all evens out. I have also learned how to hunt cedar creek through the years of living here. All that matters is scouting and being willing to adapt. :yes:
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby kydrake » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:19 pm

Dang you all just about got me talked in to leavin w ky opening weekend and coming that way :hammer:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby kydog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:15 am

Kydrake! I would not take it that far Nov. Can be slow around here!!
kydog
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:12 am

quacknstack6 wrote:i know how you feel when i was in college down there all i did was scout and ask permission to hunt and i got a bunch of places. But luckily i also have some good friends in southeastern ky that i can hunt with so it all evens out. I have also learned how to hunt cedar creek through the years of living here. All that matters is scouting and being willing to adapt. :yes:

No time for scouting but luckily I know a person or two that can throw me a bone up here every once in a while. From what I've heard, y'all can have Cedar Creek, I'll stick to Tates. :hi:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:44 am

i wish i was down in my old stomping grounds, i had some decent places on lbl that wasnt the easiest to get to but they always had ducks on them.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:30 am

Waste of time, way over hunted. Maybe during the week during a cold front push, but that's it. I've had boats troll through my decoys, and people shoot when I had a small group workin. Scout rivers. I see your from Harrodsburg, what's your name?
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:26 am

that is why i love having a boat, i try getting as far away from the other people as i possibly can. Yea i do agree it is over hunted but the best days out on that lake are when you have snow pouring down or rain coming down. I enjoy that lake but there are a lot of idiots out on that lake. Gotta be careful when you go out on that lake people just dont care about hunters and its the same way when fishing out there.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:01 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:that is why i love having a boat, i try getting as far away from the other people as i possibly can. Yea i do agree it is over hunted but the best days out on that lake are when you have snow pouring down or rain coming down. I enjoy that lake but there are a lot of idiots out on that lake. Gotta be careful when you go out on that lake people just dont care about hunters and its the same way when fishing out there.

yep kyfowl20 is one of em lol
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Yeah I agree. I hunted it a couple times last year when my local ponds were empty. I had a lil boat so I had to be careful. I got a bigger boat this year, so there's a couple other places I have scouted with less hunters. I work for myself, so I hunt alot during the week on public, and a few ponds and corn fields on weekends.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:32 pm

wouldnt surprise me one bit if it was, but o well that is why they call it "public" land. I try to get there before everyone else but sometimes that doesnt happen i normally try to get there around 4am if im going to hunt in the morning. Havent really tried hunting it in the afternoon are you even allowed to hunt after 2 i know some places like ballard and sloughs wont let you? :huh:
quacknstack6
hunter

Next

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting