Anyone hunted Frank SWA?

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Anyone hunted Frank SWA?

Postby HereDuckyDuckyDucky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

I have never made a reservation at an SWA before. Just wondering if anyone has ever hunted the Frank SWA. Any thoughts?
HereDuckyDuckyDucky
hunter

Re: Anyone hunted Frank SWA?

Postby duckman27 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:19 pm

From my experiences I can tell you two things:

1) It Sucks
2) Bring candy for the kids that walk down the edge of the river while you're hunting
duckman27
hunter

Postby Cherokee6675 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 pm

It's duck hunting in the suburbs.

I actually hunted there this morning (on the eastern side of the property) and did pretty good. Like Duckman27 alludes to, it is a little strange with a jogging path that runs about 20 feet from you (and we did see one jogger) and the fact that you are parked right across the street from a suburban neighborhood...but other than that, we saw lots of birds and dropped some good looking mallards. We actually spoke with the guys who were hunting the western side and they did pretty good too. They had a couple mallards, pintail and teal. They were on the big pond right by the parking lot and we were further down hunting on the river just before the spill way. I think on the right day it could be even better. Also saw lots of geese that were routinely flying over us at a shootable height. With all that said, it's not my favorite place to hunt, but serviceable if you want to sneak in a hunt before work (as I did). Its less than 10 minutes from my house, so thats a plus too.

We did get some strange looks from the soccer moms who were pulling in and out of the burbs, as we were unloading guns, deeks and birds into the truck. You could do better, but you could do worse too. For a close spot, I like it better than Big Thompson ponds.

Hope that helps
Cherokee6675
hunter

Postby HereDuckyDuckyDucky » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:22 am

I appreciate the info. Thats the feeling I got looking at the aerial photo. I'm just looking for an easy place to get my dog out. My rem. 11-87 broke and I just bought a new gun so my dog wouldnt miss the season. I'm not very familiar with colorado's duck hunting because I'm new. I typically hunt alone because my hunting buddy is unreliable. at least I'm a young guy still able to do everything alone.
HereDuckyDuckyDucky
hunter

Postby Cherokee6675 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:06 pm

would be a great place for a quick hunt and to get the dog working. What gun did you get as a replacement?
Cherokee6675
hunter

Postby HereDuckyDuckyDucky » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:12 am

I sold my browning bar II an just bought a nova.
HereDuckyDuckyDucky
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting