What type of 9mm is good?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

What type of 9mm is good?

Postby Jr.waterfowlslayer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:38 pm

I was wondering what you guys have to say about 9mm's. Im looking to buy one, but dont know what type and what brand is good. Your advice would be greatly appriciated!!
Jr.waterfowlslayer
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:51 pm

try a cz its amazing
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:57 pm

yeah i would deffintly go with a CZ. and also depends on what your looking for. Im pretty sure S&W makes one. you cant go wrong with them. and i would strongly recommend a Walther. Its really to your likeing. 9's are probably one of the most affordable guns.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:56 pm

Just a few questions about 9 mm. Why are they so popular? Is it price? I know they are cheap, as is the 9mm ammo. From what I understand most all law enforcement officers no longer carry 9's simply because they don't pack the punch they were once touted to. I've also heard they're no where near as accurate as they should be. Now I would guess that would be gun/brand specific, but I've only heard bad things from law dogs regarding the 9mm's. What are ya'll thoughts?

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:16 pm

i personally don't like the 9mm round for a lot of the reasons UT mentioned. some of the advantages are the hi-capacity mags that you can get, around 15/mag in the beretta and most other full-size models. they are relatively inexpensive. i had someone offer me a hi-point for $100 the other day. the ammo is available everywhere too. any of the popular gun manufacturers are going to have several 9mm models including; colt, glock, s&w, sig, cz, h&k, etc. for those that don't make a model, you can get aftermarket drop in barrels calibered in 9mm for almost any gun. to me, the most important dislike is the lack of power. of course, any situation your in is going to determine the effectiveness of the pistol, regardless of caliber. odds are though, a 10mm or .40 and > caliber is much more effective. but, you can kill someone/something with a 9mm if needed. it just depends on what you want...hth!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:38 pm

the taurus 24/7 is pretty nice... i thought about buying one, but decided to go with the .45 ruger p345 instead... go to the gunshop and hold every one they have until you find one that fits your hand just perfectly, and sights nice... i would stay away from the extremely cheap ones like hi-point unless you are only carrying them for home or self defense or dont plan on shootin a lot because even though they have a lifetime warrenty, you may have to use the warrenty a few times if you shoot as much as i try to... keep us informed on what you get :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:54 pm

shrpshtr wrote: i had someone offer me a hi-point for $100 the other day. !

I would pay him a hundred to keep it.
I agree with UT ans sharp, In my opinion the best overall not too big not too small but powerful round would be the .357 sig. And If I were in the market for a new pistol I would make it a glock. Theres not another gun you can do the things you can do to this gun and still pick it up and fire.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby shocktroop » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:13 pm

[ i would stay away from the extremely cheap ones like hi-point unless you are only carrying them for home or self defense ]

Why would you want a "cheap" pistol to use for the protection of you and your loved ones? IMHO, home or self defense requires the absolutely most reliable, accurate pistol one can manage. Not saying you need an Ed Brown Custom at over 4K, but you'd be much better served by avoiding the "cheaper variety" Ask yourself, "would I trust my life with this Hi-Point?"

To the original post, it all depends on what feels good to you, that should be priority. I'd rather have a super accurate, comfortable weapon in a .22 rather than a .45 that O couldn't shoot or operate worth a darn. That last point was extreme, but you get the idea, shot placement is key. All in all, it depends what your going to do with the weapon, is it a carry peice, target, range gun, hunting, camp gun????? From what it sounds like, you might want to look into a .40, near .45acp performance, but high capacity like the 9mm. If it's only a range gun, go with 9mm, ammo is waaaaay cheap, but also, lots of great perfomance 9mm ammo is out there, so you wouldn't be undergunned, really this is an endless topic, but it all boils down to personal preference and the weapons intended use/uses.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:22 pm

sorry i worded that wrong... i was just saying that a cheap pistol is fine if you are only shooting every once in a while, but they cant take the abuse of putting thousands of rounds through them :thumbsup: not that they wont work...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:27 pm

if you have the money sig makes a great gun. i agree with shock troop. IF it os for target get a 9mm. Everything else get something along the lines of a .40. I carry a glock 23 .40 cal. I think it is a great cal. I am not going to preach anything but I hate to say it but it you cant get a sig get a glock. My dad gave me his when he retired from the police force. That is the only reason I have one. He was a training officer and put about 5000 rounds a year thru his gun. I have put alot thru it also. Right now the gun probably has 12,000 to 15,000 rounds thru it and I have never ever had a problem. Kansas is not a cc state but it goes every where with me. The most punishment I have ever put it thru was I put 1300 rounds thru it in about 3.5 hours in a firearms training class. I did great.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:27 pm

My opinion is that rappers made the 9mm popular.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby _Mike_ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:31 pm

I carry two hi-point 9s in my truck for protection payed 79 buxs a piece for them if one hangs up imma grab the other one and beat them with it... :salude:
Is dat duck comein toward us or away from us?? Who threw tha gate down to soon?
_Mike_
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:50 pm

:laughing: :laughing:

yeah you can always beat him with it if it jams.

but whatever happened the the 38. those are probably along the lines of cheap ammo compared to a 9 mm besides 22 of course. i saw at 38. s&w airlight for about 340.00 thats a pretty darn good price if you ask me. you can always rely on smith and wesson too. and you can always go for the 38. special or something like that. its next to a nine concerning price for ammo. :thumbsup:
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:07 pm

kcduckslayer wrote:My opinion is that rappers made the 9mm popular.

+1 I agree that the "nine" was popularized through varied cultures and comercialization. Go with a time proven, battle tested classic.....the 1911! (if you must, they can also be had in 9mm, lol) Remember, you only buy quality once.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 pm

i have to agree with reliability from the glocks. i have several pistols and my favorite and proven reliable in IDPA shoots is my glock 23 .40 s&w. there is not a more reliable gun made. statistically speaking and imHo... :thumbsup:

i also am a 1911 lover. there isn't a more accurate gun than that. what a tack driver...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 pm

1911 is only acurate after about $1000
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:22 pm

kc, i beg to differ. i gave $800 for a colt series 80 government model SS that i can double tap with at 30 yards no prob. i can 3" group with the same gun at 50 yards. i highly recommend someone try this pistol. i have heard many people try and make the same argument, and i wouldn't have believed it myself if i didn't own one and see, 1st hand, what it is capable of.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:54 pm

kcduckslayer wrote:1911 is only acurate after about $1000

I can see your point, I've known many folks who feel the same way. I myself have been blessed with great, accurate, reliable 1911's out of the box, but....I've had one or two that took some work also. I think it's a numbers game personally, I think there are more 1911's being produced than any other make or model (this is just a guess someone please prove me wrong) so, just the more made = more potential for things to go wrong. Not bagging on any particular gun, most of which listeed are fine pistiols, H&k's glocks, CZ's ect....Just me IMHO, the 1911 has been around for damn near a hundred years, has served our country and our fighters for most of it, around the world and it still remains with us. The obvious reason to why, is the fact that the darn thing works...period. But....again, my opinion, the 1911 is the tinker toy of hand guns, the small block chevy of pistols, it can be modifiefd in any way shape or form to fit any need of any person and is widely available in any place or space one could want. Now.....maybe the 1911 is not for you...well, no need to push my ideas on anyone, cause theres lots of fine weapons that are out there for the taking, whatever you like my friend, to each his own.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:12 am

As in all calibers the 9mm has its place. The 9mm is actually a .38 cal slug with a shot rimless case. This cartridge is used in the U.S. military as a standard side arm as well as a law enforcement round. As far as punch the 9mm has plenty. First of all my choices for handguns stem from 3 major criteria:
Is this going to be a self defense weapon for the home
Is this going to be a concealed carry firearm
Is this going to be a recreational shooting firearm.

For home defense a shotgun is the best thing you can use because rounds will not go through the walls possibly hitting something you do not want to hit. However, those of us that have side arms like the 9mm because clips can be stored for easy access and the auto's can be quick to put in service. I chose a Ruger 9mm because I bought it used with custom grips and it fit my hand very well. It is heavier than the Glock but much safer to use. It is also very accurate...no handgun is not worth anything unless you can hit something with it. For a concealed carry gun I chose a sig compact .380 which is a 9mm with a shorter case. These two guns have plenty of punch in a defense situation. (never had to find out anyway and when I have been attempted to be burglerized the 12ga really deterred them much better)

My recommendations is to buy a 9mm that fits your size hand and is fairly well built. Even though most of us do not but a 1000 rounds through handguns yearly...(except my target guns) a good quality auto will have better accuracy and will handle and balance much better than a lighter cheap one...even though glock is popular they are light, hard to handle and have some safety fallicies that caused many a police officer to shoot themselves instead of a perp.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby kcduckslayer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:19 am

I dont want to get in a crappin match. but $800 is pretty darn close to $1000 to me. If you weren't half way across the the country I would put money down that you could not put a group of 5 in a 3" group at fifty yards. I am basing this off of balistics and what I have witnessed my self. This would not be the first time the I have put money down on something like this. Lets just say I have never had to pay anyone yet. The 1911 in the .45 cal is a short range gun. That was what it was designed for. Max is typically 25 yards to be accurate. Now I am not saying that the modified 1911's such as close to $1000 and over wont do the job. I would also have to say the glock produces more guns just because that every police department that I know of uses them, and some government agencies. However I was glad to see that sig now have the department of treasuries business and the FBI.
kcduckslayer
hunter

tools

Postby BHUNTER » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:22 am

there are many tools in the tool box, i myself prefer a sig or h&k, but i guess it would depend on what your budget is. taurus makes a good cheap gun and so does cz and of course theres all those chinese models floating around. the possibilities are endless, what matters is if you trust the gun you purchased.
badges!!! we dont need no stinking badges!!
BHUNTER
hunter

information

Postby BHUNTER » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:32 am

here is some information that might be helpful too; 21 feet. this is the boundary that an attacker cannot breach before you can get a accurate shot off, i would also sink a little money into a good telescopic baton.
badges!!! we dont need no stinking badges!!
BHUNTER
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:44 am

Heres another nice tid bit of info. Most police shootings happen less than 5 yards.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:47 am

Anybody have a Browning High power? I have one and like it alot.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:35 am

browning hi-power is also a good handgun...the 9mm is not a long range cartridge.....if you want more range go to the .357...There are many makes and models...alot of folks soup up thier handguns...mine are stock and do the trick. The mod 1911 is a work horse but after using them in the military I do not have much faith in the accuracy of one that is a production model even though....at 5 feet they are deadly...I do like the 1911 frame for a .45 auto..they shoot nice if ya get one that is not military issue and has some Mods done.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum