What are you shooting out of?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

What are you shooting out of?

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:32 am

What's everybodys rig lookin like? Whether your walking, shooting from a kayak or ripping around in a 19ft war eagle with all the bells and whistles, Im curious to hear what people are towing around or dragging in. I'll start off with my little 12ft flat bottom john with a home-made blind and 8hp honda. Works great for 2 hunters and getting into the shallows... wouldn't take it on the open lake though hahaha sure is an upgrade from hunting out of a canoe and not too bad for a college student :biggrin: .
Attachments
299560_2088875952425_1560990277_31913301_1951138412_n.jpg
When people ask me what my favorite season in Vermont is, I simply reply. Duck
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Re: What are you shooting out of?

Postby RangerX » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 pm

my 15ft columbian tri-hull... great for the swamps... takes balls of steel to take it on the open lake.

RangerX
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:35 pm

My 18' SeaArk. No Blind on it yet, ive got a good chunk of change in some Aluminum stock sitting next to my shop for it though...

My Herters Goose and Duck Boat. Great for laying in close to shore or hunting woodies on the river as seen in this pic.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby hawkman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I have two rigs. A poke boat that is painted camo with Avery grass and a 17' foot Grizzly with a ProDrive mud motor.
The attachment P9100510.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
PC030936.JPG
Poke Boat with grass
PC030933.JPG
Poke Boat without grass
PB300931.JPG
PB200766.JPG
Last edited by hawkman on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hawkman
hunter

Postby Champney » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 pm

last season was my last season before i enlsited so i quit work before it and had all season to hunt. hunted 4 days a week shot no less than 4 ducks every time. i hunted out of a alluminum canoe with fast grass and cedar mixed onto it w/ a finisher blind. hunting oct to every day in december for whisters on the lake. never had a problem but i am purchacing a couple boats when i get out cause it gets a pain in the ass to unload, break ice and also keep warm.
ran 90 duck floaters and when hunting geese too 54 goose floaters sometimes had to drag my sled with decoys in it.

boats are looking great!
Champney
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Otters Outdoors Phantom.

Hybrid Marsh 11.5 ft Layout with a 5 hp outboard. Homebuilt 2010

Marsh Monster 10.5 ft open water layout. Homebuilt 2011

1974 Starcraft 21 ft v-hull, 135 merc with popup canvas blind. Rebuilt in 2009.
chambo32
hunter

Postby gmannn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Lund 16ft V bottom, Merc 15 hp 4 stroke, and Avery quick set blind. Home away from home.

Can't figure out how to send picture
gmannn
hunter

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Question of courtesy.... I have only been waterfowling for about 3 years now and although I've learned a lot there is still much more to learn. One day I was posted up when other hunters entered our (general) area nothing too close and I felt as if they where not going to affect our morning at all. So when legal came and birds started to move the first pack that took interest in our location started circling. The ducks seemed to be looking at the other hunters spread as they called and let them work before taking a shot. During the process of the birds working, they all flew directly over our decoys which gave tho opportunity for a passing shot that the typical hunter wouldnt miss. Instead of taking the shot, I let the birds pass hoping for the chance at another flock. We only had the chance to shoot at birds 3 more times during the day with much smaller flocks and took home 2. Was I correct in letting the birds pass? or should I have taken the shot because I had a good chance of connecting and because of the fact I was the first to enter the area?
When people ask me what my favorite season in Vermont is, I simply reply. Duck
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 am

Burlingtonblaster wrote:Question of courtesy.... I have only been waterfowling for about 3 years now and although I've learned a lot there is still much more to learn. One day I was posted up when other hunters entered our (general) area nothing too close and I felt as if they where not going to affect our morning at all. So when legal came and birds started to move the first pack that took interest in our location started circling. The ducks seemed to be looking at the other hunters spread as they called and let them work before taking a shot. During the process of the birds working, they all flew directly over our decoys which gave tho opportunity for a passing shot that the typical hunter wouldnt miss. Instead of taking the shot, I let the birds pass hoping for the chance at another flock. We only had the chance to shoot at birds 3 more times during the day with much smaller flocks and took home 2. Was I correct in letting the birds pass? or should I have taken the shot because I had a good chance of connecting and because of the fact I was the first to enter the area?

I wouldn't worry about it so much. Sounds to me like you two were awefully close... if they were will working the other guys spread, I would have let them go. However, opinions on this will differ... depending on each person's philosophy.

If you were there first, and they setup that close, I would be pissed. I'd probably wait until after first light, pick up and move to a different spot. I can't stand people that setup close.
RangerX
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:27 pm

The big boat and the little boat...what more do you need? As far as people setting up too close, keep the shot hitting their blind until they move. Start with fours, and if they don't move after 2 shots increase the shot size. Repeat this cycle until they leave.
Attachments
layout.jpg
jon.JPG
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting