2 Gadwall...What should I make?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

2 Gadwall...What should I make?

Postby wtrfowl07 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:21 pm

I have 2 gadwall which are very tasty ducks. Should I just cut the meat off and make some fajitas or something? Any good recipes and do I need to do anything besides put some onions and green peppers in with the meat in a skillet? I will just slice it in small slivers. I was thinking I like bbq sauce, but fajitas do sound good since I already have tortillas.
wtrfowl07
hunter

Re: 2 Gadwall...What should I make?

Postby wtrfowl07 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:26 pm

I am very happy with how fast I can breast ducks with the Bird Hitch I purchased. It make breasting them so much easier and it is a clean cut. It even has a serated edge where you can saw the wings off with out breaking out a knife.
wtrfowl07
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 pm

I just fillet the breast off and marinate with teriyaki, soy sauce, and a little red wine. Then grill to med-rare and enjoy.
BBK
hunter

Postby wtrfowl07 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Can you do that with soy sauce and cook it in a skillet? Do you need to soak them in marinade for a few hours before you put them in the skillet?
wtrfowl07
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:10 am

wtrfowl07 wrote:I am very happy with how fast I can breast ducks with the Bird Hitch I purchased. It make breasting them so much easier and it is a clean cut. It even has a serated edge where you can saw the wings off with out breaking out a knife.

I can do it just as fast by stepping on the head and bottom of belly and pulling on the breast.

You are right though, breasting birds is so much easier when the whole chest is away from all the feathers and guts. I usually yank the breasts out and bring em in the house for proper cleaning.

One thing i tried this weekend was soaking pheasant breasts in italian dressing, with cayanne (spelling?) pepper for about a day, then pan fry in oil. It turned out REALLY good. Put it over wild or white rice.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking