Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck jerky recipe

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  codym17 
#1 ·
I have about 11 lbs of duck meat and was wondering how i should make some duck jerky i have no clue how to and maybe someone can help.

#3 ·
Duck Sausage
4 to 6 servings
Here's something else (other than making jerky) you can do with all the ducks considered as trash eaters and therefore unsavory.
Ingredients:
2 cups duck meat, cubed
1 cup pork shoulder, cubed
2 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 celery stick, finely diced
*1 large jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
¼ cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
1 tsp. cracked black pepper, or to taste
1 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
1 egg
Vegetable Oil for sautéing

Mixing Instructions:
Push duck and pork shoulder pieces together through a meat grinder. A food processor will work -if you have a really good one. Do this at least twice to make sure both meats are well mixed. Now place the ground meat mixture in a large bowl and set it aside.
Heat the butter in a large skillet and sauté onion, celery, jalapeno and garlic until onion pieces become translucent. Add the orange juice and cook until liquid is reduced by about one-half. Add black pepper and salt. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool. Once cooled to room temperature, add this mixture to the bowl containing the meat mixture. Add egg and mix thoroughly with a spoon or by hand. Run the whole mess through the grinder or food processor at least one more time.
At this point of operation, you can form the mixture into egg-sized balls, press them into patties and cook them immediately, or you can place them on a cookie sheet and freeze them for vacuum-packaging later, or you could shape the meat into small cookie dough looking loaves before freezing and vacuum-packing.
If you decide to cook, add just enough oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet. Over medium heat, when the oil is sizzling hot, add the patties and sauté on each side until they are well browned and cooked throughout.

* Note to the Chef: If jalapeno peppers are unavailable, use a couple tablespoons of crushed red Chili -the kind you can get when ordering pizza. It's not nearly as good (or mellow) as a fresh jalapeno or two, but it will suffice.

#4 ·
I make this all the time. Buy a box of jerky seasoning (can be wild game or for beef) just pick a flavor you like and mix the specified amount of seasoning and cure with a 50:50 mix of ground beef and ground duck. To grind the duck I used a food processor for awhile, but with this you can only do a little at a time and its easy to over mince it. You can get a hand grinder for $28 at Scheels otherwise or cut it small with a knife. Use fatty beef 70:30 or add a little taloe to the mix also. I use a jerky gun with a small nozel on it and smoke the jerky for two hours or put it in the oven for two hours at 200. You can also slice it thin and add the designated amount of jerky seasoning and cure to it, but I prefer ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.