Trading ducks for deer

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Trading ducks for deer

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Yesterday, Nov. 15, was the opening day of Michigan's firearm deer season, so I had to put the shotgun away for a couple of days and take out the .270. Ended up taking a nice big doe @ 73 yards this morning that was being chased by a little buck. I had my crosshairs on the buck and was about to pull the trigger about 3 times, before I decided not too. We've been asked not to shoot anything smaller than an 8-point where we hunt and I couldn't quite figure out how big he was. I really wanted him, but in hindsight if I couldn't see that he was an 8 at 75 yards, he definately wasn't a shooter. Hopefully, I'll get a chance at him when he's bigger next year! :biggrin:

Usually, I see a ton of deer where I hunt, but it was slow this year. There was a horrible fog yesterday morning and the field that my blind overlooks is usually winter or wheat or rye at this time of year. It was dirt and they ended up plowing it today. Glad I got my deer early. There was a lot of corn still up in the area too, so I'm sure a lot of deer where chilling out in the corn the last two days.

So any of you ladies deer hunt too? I pretty much just go out for a couple days during rifle season, knock down a deer or two and fill the freezer. Mmm, backstraps! lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Re: Trading ducks for deer

Postby Kim in Camo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 am

I have never been deer hunting. My whole family hunted deer when I was young, but by the time I took an interest in hunting they had all retired from the sport (I was a late kid LOL) and my husband isn't interested in deer, though he's done it years ago. Just water and upland birds here, but I definitely would like to try deer hunting. I do luv me some venison chops :thumbsup:
Kim in Camo
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:27 pm

Other than squirrel hunting, deer season was my first intro to hunting. I'd go out with my dad when I was a kid. I still enjoy going out a couple times a year, but I enjoy upland and waterfowl hunting more. Besides, cleaning birds is so much easier than cleaning a deer. lol. I have to confess I'm kind of a wuss when it come time to get dirty. :oops:

I found out that my uncle let someone bow hunt the property and they shot a 13 point buck in the woods, near where my husband's blind was. The hubby said there was sign of a monster buck in there. It looks like passing on the smaller bucks the last couple of years is starting to pay off. Hopefully we'll be able to get one in the next year or two.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm

2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Kim in Camo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Woohoo, congrats!!!!! :beer:
Kim in Camo
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum