Hooded Merganser

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Hooded Merganser

Postby smbutler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:46 pm

I killed a nice hooded merganser several years back and didn't think a whole lot of it...other than it was a beautiful duck. I haven't killed once since and wish I had mounted it.

Is the merganser worth mounting to you guys? I regret not mounting it.
smbutler
hunter

Re: Hooded Merganser

Postby BBK » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:04 am

A drake hooded looks great mounted. We have a few of them around here in Dec, dont shoot them though. Dont like to eat them, and dont really want to mount one.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:33 am

I agree they make a great mount but taste like maybe, burnt cow dung, to make a guess. Never tried to eat one.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Hooded Merganser

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:06 am

They taste fine in a fricassee or gumbo, and I thinkthey are worth shooting for the wall, and why not that's two extra birds a day!
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby bakerboyz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:13 am

My friend has one mounted and it is a smart looking mount. We have been covered up with them for the pass two years. We have eaten a few; some good alot real fishy tasting.
bakerboyz
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:57 pm

i got my first drake mounted. i went nuts trying to shoot one that year just for the wall.
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:48 pm

: Shot a Hooded just the other day ...

: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:20 pm

In my opinion Hooded mergansers are one of the best looking ducks out there. I've ate tons of them and like stated earlier it's all about how they are cooked. Plus it's another 2 ducks I can shoot. Oh yeah and if I had the extra cash I'd definitely mount one.
blackened89
hunter

Postby martin cheetah_2010 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:26 am

shot a hen hooded merganzer yesterday.her head looked pretty cool.but after bein shot 3 times with black cloud,she was pretty mangled :lol3:
martin cheetah_2010
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Ive been trying to get a drake hooded for a while now. I really want to mount one. I have shot two hen hooded mergansers, but never a drake :sad:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:16 pm

My brother got one mounted because it was the first waterfowl he ever killed( technically not a duck) and the taxidermist did a crappy job on it but I've seen some that looked pretty good on the wall. I would never mount one though. The money would be better spent on a redhead, canvasback, blackduck or something of that nature. Just my .02
duckman27
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:04 pm

duckman27 wrote:My brother got one mounted because it was the first waterfowl he ever killed( technically not a duck) and the taxidermist did a crappy job on it but I've seen some that looked pretty good on the wall. I would never mount one though. The money would be better spent on a redhead, canvasback, blackduck or something of that nature. Just my .02

Sorry but mergansers are ducks. If you want to divide them up there are puddlers, sea ducks, divers and mergansers.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Also, these birds are pretty damn cool looking. I dont know why anyone wouldn't want to get it mounted, its all just a matter of opinion though. I would rather have a hoodie over a redhead. The duck that is. :yes:

hoodie.jpg
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby loon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:55 am

I have shot a bunch of them and like all divers if cooked to well done they taste like liver if soaked in salt water with several changes of water to get the blood out of the meat cooked to medium tastes like steak. Maybe I'm lucky and found a pocket of corn fed mergansers :lol3: but I have never ever had a fishy one in 15yrs of eating them.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby duckman27 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:43 am

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:
duckman27 wrote:My brother got one mounted because it was the first waterfowl he ever killed( technically not a duck) and the taxidermist did a crappy job on it but I've seen some that looked pretty good on the wall. I would never mount one though. The money would be better spent on a redhead, canvasback, blackduck or something of that nature. Just my .02

Sorry but mergansers are ducks. If you want to divide them up there are puddlers, sea ducks, divers and mergansers.

I screwed up. I don't look at them as ducks though becasue of the saw bill. Mergansers to me seem to be the bastard child of ducks that is looked down on by most :sad:
duckman27
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 pm

duckman27 wrote:
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:

I screwed up. I don't look at them as ducks though becasue of the saw bill. Mergansers to me seem to be the bastard child of ducks that is looked down on by most :sad:

:lol3: Im just an odd ball I guess cause I love mergansers! I find the drakes of all three species to be quite pretty.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:09 pm

I've killed tons of Hoodies back in MS but have only killed one of the Common's and that was earlier this season
duckman27
hunter

Postby fowlweather92 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 pm

All i saw this past week was commons and hooded mergs. Theres way to many where i am hunting i guess!! lol :smile:
This whole school thing makes duck hunting a little harder...
fowlweather92
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Hooded Mergansers hold together the best of any duck i've ever shot. I put 30 pellets in the breast of one a couple years back and the bird was in edible condition
duckman27
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:54 pm

blackened89 wrote:In my opinion Hooded mergansers are one of the best looking ducks out there. I've ate tons of them and like stated earlier it's all about how they are cooked. Plus it's another 2 ducks I can shoot. Oh yeah and if I had the extra cash I'd definitely mount one.

Totally agree. We kill and eat tons of them around here. All how u cook it. South Louisiana cooking can make any duck taste great.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby orientalhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:54 am

I shot this one last year. Beautiful birds, if I would have had the money I would have definitely gotten it mounted. But, it sure did taste good. You just have to cook it right!

orientalhunter
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:16 am

I have one mounted...People are always commenting on how pretty they are! :thumbsup:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby okie-coyote » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:15 pm

hoods do make a man cave look quite nice!!!

my brother shot one and wrapped it up in a garbage bag and left it in the freezer for three years. remembering it one day i went looking for it and found it way in the back. called up the taxidermist and he said bring it in. said if it wasnt freezer burned to bad he would try. when i got there he unwrapped the bird. the bellie was dark brown from blood stain and i tought all was lost. but he said it wouldnt be a problem. my brother was more than happy when he opened up his b-day present that year.

so if you dont have the money to get one mounted wrap it up and save it. and most taxidermist only make you pay a depoist up front. i would never pay full amount until i got the mount back. had a problem with a bobcat i had mounted a few years back. guy said $300 total and $50 up front. i was in washington state when it was finished so i had my wife "still in oklahoma" go to pick it up. my wife called me and said it was the worst mount she had ever seen. she sent my a few pics over the phone and i thought she was joking. the mount looked like it was done back in the 70's. the cat looked sick and you could see the stiches on the back and neck i told her to give the phone to him and said that i would give him another $50 and that was it. he didnt hesitate!!! he knew it was a crap job.
okie-coyote
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 am

i got one mounted by birdman studios and it looks amazing! I get more compliments oon it than any other mount i have. The hood gets'em everytime.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Robn1020 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 am

We have em come in with woodies all the time. They like timber. And yea, they look great mounted.

18'44'' GoDevil w/ Stage 1 35 GDSD "Momma I wanna go fast!"
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... G_1555.jpg
Robn1020
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting