Hooded Merganser

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Hooded Merganser

Postby ducking&diving » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:10 pm

nothing wrong with shooting mergansers. always good to let the dog do some work!
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby ky lake mud pie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Where is the best place to hunt for hoodies on big lakes. Do they fly pretty much anywhere or do the stay in the back of the bays?
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:23 pm

ky lake mud pie wrote:Where is the best place to hunt for hoodies on big lakes. Do they fly pretty much anywhere or do the stay in the back of the bays?

Generally speaking, they like to hang around the banks. They dive in the shallow water for food and LOVE to sit on logs or stumps. They are a shallow water duck mostly, but of course they will go out deep. I read somewhere they can dive 20+ feet deep and literally chase fish through the water. If you have ice, hunt the ice line. They will fly the ice lines all day long and love to swim right up next to it.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Most of the one's I have killed have been in shallow water. Cypress swamps, marshy areas, buckbrush areas, farm ponds..... The first one I shot was pretty cool and then the 50 after that, not so much. I'll shoot one in MS each year over christmas break but that's it. Not worth the money to shoot them anymore in my book
duckman27
hunter

Postby GeeLeDouche » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:48 am

I picked one up a few years back and its on my wall now. I'm glad I did it too becuase here in Utah they are fairly rare.
I AM COMMADEERING THIS AIRBOAT!
GeeLeDouche
hunter

Postby KySwampHunter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm

had 4 fly over us a couple weeks back, ofcourse i had to hit the hen out of the group. :fingerhead: i said long before the hunt id love to take a drake hoodie. that and a woodie would be my 2 fav. mounts. :beer:
KySwampHunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting