Duck Hunting Forum banner

10 Commandments for Public Land Hunters.

17K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  michaad 
#1 ·
1. Thou shalt not shoot another man's swing - If your neighbor's working a flock that passes over your blind within range, let them go. It's common courtesy, and you never know when that neighbor's going to be built like Stone Cold Steve Austin and have a temper like Russell Crowe.

2. Thou shall allow ample space between thyself and others - This one's simple: Unless you're both willing to partner up, give the next guy room. And in most parts of the country, 50 yards isn't considered enough.

3. Thou shalt know the effective range of thy own 'fowling piece - They're called skybusters, these pseudo-hunters who shoot at anything within eyesight, and they rank right up there with Osama bin Laden.

4. Thou shalt not blow a duck call nonstop, nor at every bird and beast - Sure, you paid $20 for it, but that doesn't mean you have to get $20 out of it every trip into the field, does it? Remember the immortal words of legendary outdoor writer Nash Buckingham: "A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset."

5. Thou shalt set up and tear down quickly and efficiently - In other words, don't putter through the decoy spreads 5 minutes before shooting time or lolly-gag in your blocks for an hour just because you have to be back to work at 9 a.m.

6. Thou shalt clean thy kill neither at the ramp nor in the parking lot - We as hunters need to realize that a lot of non-consumptive users - birdwatchers, photographers, hikers, school groups - use our nation's public areas, and that the image we leave at the ramp or in the parking lot reflects on us as a whole.

7. Thou shalt be familiar with and abide by waterfowl regulations - Another no-brainer. Ignorance, says the wildlife officer, is no excuse; however, it can come with a hefty fine.

8. Thou shalt know the area boundaries, and though tempted, stay within them - This one's not only a public relations issue, but a legal one as well. If it's marked Keep Out... well, then, KEEP OUT.

9. Thou shalt leave thy temper at home - Think about it. Do you really want to get into a shouting match with a complete stranger that you know has a gun? Enough said.

10. Thou shalt work harder than most - Nowhere in the world does the old adage, "Hard work and perseverance will be rewarded," hold truer than the realm of the public-land waterfowler. Do your homework and go that extra two miles, and you may have that mallard hole to yourself.

Just a friendly reminder for all you noobs tomorrow morning! :thumbsup:

See less See more
Reactions: Jmb3006
#5 ·
Number 9 is almost impossible to follow when every other weekend warrior is not following the remainder of the 10.... Lol

#7 ·
whaknstak said:
This needs to be posted at the ramps of popular hunting spots.
Best idea ever. I am seriously going to get a few of these made. They will probably last a week around these boat ramps before there are so many pellet holes in it you cant even read it.

#8 ·
I'm new to the forums, and these commandments are the way that responsible hunters conduct themselves. Unfortunately 75% of hunters were not taught to respect others. Most of these inconsiderate hunters are young, inexperienced and just plain stupid to the fact that many other hunters have devoted countless hours scouting, blind stuffing and don't forget the money that is spent in this great pursuit. Its going to eventually become so territorial that they will start issuing limited quotas. Sort of like Joe Bud WMA. First come first served basis. Somethin has got to give. And as for the air boats on Jackson all week, those fools are keeping those birds pushed over to phips plantations flooded corn fields.

G
#11 ·
11. Get your *** up early and setup wwwwaaaayyyy before the butt crack of dawn - Wake up early, get to boat ramp early, and setup before shooting time so your not driving your boat through other peoples decoys.

#13 ·
I like this... Although most hunters abide by the rules of respect and consideration its sad that the few who dont can ruin everyone elses hunt. On one of my last hunts last year an old timer (in age but not in practice) showed up 45 minutes after shooting light in a bright orange kayak and was water whacking coots less than 50 to 100 yds from me the entire time (needless to say I saw 0 birds this hunt). Another memorable moment last year came right around christmas eve, my buddies and I had been set up since 330am but low and behold right around shooting light some jerk comes plowing through our decoys and literally hit 3 of them! When we said somthing he said he had his kid with him and "Merry Christmas" sarcastically. Now I am all for taking your young ones hunting but if you have a kid who is too young to wake up at 2am and thus makes you show up at shooting light either hunt private land or hunt afternoons. By the way this all happened at the zoo known as Guana.

#16 ·
Those are great things to go by, but, two words would of taken up a lot less thought, COMMON COURTESY , unfortunately theres to many idiots hunting the marshes that don't know what those two words mean now days.

#20 ·
Great Post! Wish everyone followed these especially 1-3! I doubt that'll ever be the case.

What is your take on shooting high when everyone else around you is skybusting? If they all are the ducks will never come down close enough for you to get the best shot at them, do you still try? Last year I didn't try shooting and ended up watching birds fly over me 50-60 yards in the air the whole time. Some places you are able to avoid, somewhat avoid, other hunters but in other areas its not realistic. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.