Hows the season going

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

Hows the season going

Postby darb79 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:06 am

Its looking like Wyoming needs to represent. Hows the season going for the rest. with the recent cold spells firming up the water I have been in search of some open water. Did some scouting last week with my daugter and found a few potential areas to hunt for the rest of the season.
If a man is alone in a duck blind and no woman can hear him... Is he still wrong?
darb79
hunter

Re: Hows the season going

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I was over there in October and did well.
I'll be back over in December for a couple weeks with the Pacific Flyway rambler and targeting mostly GE. By the time I get there it will all be about hunts on the rivers. Everything else will be froze solid.

Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby darb79 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:32 pm

It was a good early season for me and the new pup here in the valley. I ended up spending more time focused on him than shooting birds, but that aside I was still able to pull some decent numbers. Most of the days would have been fantastic if there were a couple more guns with me. But for some reason I havent been able to find anybody to join me. They would rather spend the time big game hunting in these parts. I have found some areas on the Green for some hunting as everything else locks up.
Attachments
duck chat 3.jpg
duck chat 3.jpg (54.09 KiB) Viewed 6469 times
duck chat 2.jpg
duck chat pic 1.jpg
If a man is alone in a duck blind and no woman can hear him... Is he still wrong?
darb79
hunter

Postby loner » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:15 pm

don't you know there's no ducks in wyoming, it's a desert man!
Image :yes:
loner
hunter

Postby darb79 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 am

I know right? Who would be crazy enough to chase ducks in Wyoming? Thats all I heard before I moved out here. :rolleyes:
Attachments
duck chat 5.jpg
2011-11-05_08-37-27_953.jpg
darb79
hunter

Postby loner » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:34 pm

darb79, where did you come from? i just moved here from Md + let me tell you it is much better here! :lol:
loner
hunter

Postby darb79 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:35 am

I came from South East Idaho. I cant realy say that the numbers are better here, they just require a little different tactic (think outside the box). The big advantage here is that although there are fewer birds there are also fewer waterfowl hunters, at least in the western part of the state. It has taken more scouting and leg work to get on birds but it has paid off. Now that things here have locked up I have been up on the green river below Fontenelle. I will be on a few more trips to Idaho to hunt the in-laws property as well.
Are you finding good numbers in your parts loner? Early season here was fantastic for numbers, but now it seems it has hit the lag when the locals have moved on and just befor the migration hits. And seeing this is my first season over here, I dont know what the migration brings this way yet.
darb79
hunter

Postby loner » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:07 pm

darb79, you're right the early season numbers + variety was good. now it's all mallards not that i'm complaining, all the birds are on the fast moving rivers that are'nt froze now + in the cornfields. geese just starting to get here so it's time to go dryland. put the boat away + break out layouts.
loner
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:27 pm

darb79 wrote:I came from South East Idaho. I cant realy say that the numbers are better here, they just require a little different tactic (think outside the box). The big advantage here is that although there are fewer birds there are also fewer waterfowl hunters, at least in the western part of the state. It has taken more scouting and leg work to get on birds but it has paid off. Now that things here have locked up I have been up on the green river below Fontenelle. I will be on a few more trips to Idaho to hunt the in-laws property as well.
Are you finding good numbers in your parts loner? Early season here was fantastic for numbers, but now it seems it has hit the lag when the locals have moved on and just befor the migration hits. And seeing this is my first season over here, I dont know what the migration brings this way yet.

My guess is the push of birds you see in late December through January will be mostly Goldeneye.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby darb79 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Figure I had better show off some more shots over here. Anyone else still getting 'em?
Attachments
dc1.jpg
dc1.jpg (82.85 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
dc2.jpg
My nephews first pheasant
dc2.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
dc3.jpg
dc3.jpg (87.71 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
dc4.jpg
dc4.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
darb79
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:42 am

I'm headed back over on Wednesday, this week. I'll be there for about 2 weeks until after Christmas.
Darb, looks like where you are is still mild conditions. There is a few feet of snow where I'm headed with negative temps. My son is out hunting this weekend to find birds for when I get there.
I expect to be hunting mostly Goldeneye with weather there.
I'll post up if I can get online while I'm there, otherwise it won't be until I get back home.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby darb79 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Yea, most everyting around me now is locked up with only a few small spots with open water. Nothing that I will let the dog around. I will probably try northern Utah the first of the year, depends on where the birds are at and if they get a thaw. But between now and the end of the year most of the chase will be on the in-laws property in SE Idaho. Over the last few years widgeon has been fantastic there in the late season, plus the migrator canadas move in thick when we flood a field a week prior to a hunt.
Best of luck Q, safe travels and hope you get on some birds. I sure do like the looks of a fully plumed Goldeneye. What area of the state you headed?
darb79
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:19 am

darb79 wrote:Best of luck Q, safe travels and hope you get on some birds. I sure do like the looks of a fully plumed Goldeneye. What area of the state you headed?

Thanks.
I'll be in the Star Valley area mostly. When I hunt over there earlier in the season, I hit the idaho side of the border too. Right now everything is froze up and covered in snow on the Idaho side. I'm sure there are places that have birds still I just don't scout the Idaho side enough this time of year to put that much gas into it.
I leave for WY in a few hours when I get off work. I can't wait to get there and chase'em.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:52 pm

I think I found the Goldeneye X

QH's Paw
hunter

Postby SwampRatNC » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57 am

QH I think have fished the spot you got your spread setup on a few years ago. My wife is from Afton, she keeps trying to get me to move out there after I retire in 2 years. Plan on putting in for a deer or elk tag once they become available to see what it's all about. I saw alot of GE's that cold day fishing. Man does it cold there.
SwampRatNC
SwampRatNC
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:05 am

I'm staying in the next town over from Afton, Thayne. So you probably have fished there.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby darb79 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:14 pm

QH's Paw wrote:I think I found the Goldeneye X

Pure Awsomeness!!! I have never targeted divers because when the puddlers moved on I turned to geese when I lived in Idaho, but after scouting last weekend and seeing the numbers of GE's I'm gonna have to start chasing them here late season.
I have had them decoy on my puddler spread on rare occasions on the snake river (se Idaho) but my question for you Q is have you been able to deke these birds in with a puddler spread effectivley, or is that just a fart in the wind?
darb79
hunter

Postby loner » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm

there's still a few left over here in the bighorn basin, geese just starting to come in too. it aint over till it's over!
Image :thumbsup:
loner
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:17 pm

darb79 wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:I think I found the Goldeneye X

Pure Awsomeness!!! I have never targeted divers because when the puddlers moved on I turned to geese when I lived in Idaho, but after scouting last weekend and seeing the numbers of GE's I'm gonna have to start chasing them here late season.
I have had them decoy on my puddler spread on rare occasions on the snake river (se Idaho) but my question for you Q is have you been able to deke these birds in with a puddler spread effectivley, or is that just a fart in the wind?

They decoy best to their own and sometimes Bluebill deeks.
They will probably deocoy in first thing in the morning. They like to hit sand and gravel bars in the middle of the river so You will likely have to set your puddlers up totally diferent than you're used to.
I have a longline and I use singles mixed in.
QH's Paw
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting