La Hoya

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

La Hoya

Postby Hunt-R-Fish » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi All,

I have not had a chance to make it down to La Hoya yet. Is it completly full? Anyone had any luck down there yet?

Thanks and good shooting.
Hunt-R-Fish
Newb

Re: La Hoya

Postby KHerbst » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 pm

5 Trucks this AM, water 50% of norm. Very few ducks..........heard maybe 15 shots the entire AM. Two hours scouting surrounding areas...........very few ducks even in closed sections. If it warms up, get golf clubs out and try Isleta, chances are you will see more duck!

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Fill your truck up and find out!!!! :thumbsup:

:welcome: :fingerhead:
duckahlr
hunter

Postby graysonwyatt » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:22 pm

KHerbst wrote:5 Trucks this AM, water 50% of norm. Very few ducks..........heard maybe 15 shots the entire AM. Two hours scouting surrounding areas...........very few ducks even in closed sections. If it warms up, get golf clubs out and try Isleta, chances are you will see more duck!

KLH

Something changed in the last few days to move the ducks out. We were finishing by 7AM on the river until Friday—big groups of mallards flying high and low along the river—and then didn't see many birds at all on Sunday. I don't think it's got as much to do with the north tank filling slowly this year as with macro trends in the weather. Next storm should bring them back in.
graysonwyatt
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:04 pm

I hunted around the Las Cruces area friday morning and knocked down some green and widgeons. I only hunted for a few hours because I was driving all the way back to southern Colorado that day. I saw a bunch of cranes around socorro and some bigger flocks of ducks. Only saw a handful north of Abq. I hunted the arkansas river up here in Colorado on Saturday and did not see a single bird. Never thought the hunting in the desert would be better then up here. I have thought about hunting La joya every time I drive back to CO, but it just seems like it isnt worth the hassle.

Good luck everyone,
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby graysonwyatt » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Shot this clip last December on the South Tank when there was actually some water in it: http://vimeo.com/17748327
graysonwyatt
hunter

Postby Hunt-R-Fish » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks for the info. We have been about 50/50 on the river this year. Grayson...was that just south of the dividing road at La Joya? I am still trying to get my dog to work like that but she sometimes has her own plan. More my fault than anything because I have not spent as much time with her as I should have this year. Thanks again for the info and good luck.
Hunt-R-Fish
Newb

Postby KHerbst » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:49 pm

graysonwyatt wrote:Shot this clip last December on the South Tank when there was actually some water in it: http://vimeo.com/17748327

Great Vid clip.....................I could hear someone calling the background, sounded darn good who was that. Not the guy blowing the Primos, he sounded good also. But the background caller was Ducky!

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby ufducks7 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Bunches of birdes on la joya! two weeks ago 3 full limits in 3 hours
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting