New to duck hunting? Post here!

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Hello I am new to duck hunting, and would like to know how many others there are! Post here and tell us a little about yourself, and hopefully we can learn new tips and techniques together!
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm


Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby cjc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:41 pm

DCL wrote:Hello I am new to duck hunting, and would like to know how many others there are! Post here and tell us a little about yourself, and hopefully we can learn new tips and techniques together!


Great post! A lot of guys that are new to duck hunting have joined the forum and went straight to asking things like, "where's the good spots to hunt." They don't get kind answers a lot of the time. I think the way you approached this is well done :thumbsup: . You can learn a lot about hunting here because there are a lot of very knowledgeable guys here. Just pay attention to posts. Not so much the locations and stuff, but a lot of guys post pics of their dead birds and you can see their decoy spread in the background. I would focus on things like that. You get different tips on good ways to do things by the background. If I ain't shooting ducks on the river, and this guy posted pics of a ton of dead ducks on the river, I would try the decoy set up he is going with. Not that hunting is all about decoy set up (because it isn't), but that's just some little tips you can pic up from looking at things other than the kill shot. Hope this helps. I really encourage other hunters to send some good helpful info to this new guy just based off of the way he presented his situation. If not here for the lurkers to see, then maybe send him a PM.

P.S. :welcome:

Also, there has been a lot of negative stuff being posted lately. Just know not everyone on this site is a complete ******.
User avatar
cjc
hunter
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: NM

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby duckahlr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:10 am

90% of the guys in this state have started hunting ducks within the past 5 years thanks to this site!!! :thumbsup:
User avatar
duckahlr
hunter
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: NM

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby cyber_scouter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:50 am

duckahlr wrote:90% of the guys in this state have started hunting ducks within the past 5 years thanks to this site!!! :thumbsup:


Well with all the talk about how people trash public land and start fights in the marsh, I don't know if that's a good thing. :help:
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby duckahlr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:10 am

Thats because the 90% hunts within the same 10 mile stretch. Our blind has been pounding the birds the past 2 weeks solid, but we are putting up some crazy miles to hunt an untapped resource.

I know one guy who put 700 miles on his truck one day last week and didnt even pull the gun out of the case. There is one spot on the river that used to be a honey hole just a few years ago. A couple extra guys start hunting it and now its like I-25 has been diverted to the river. Alot of people get hooked on one spot and then cry when it gets loaded with guys. Should have scouted and found more spots. If you are new to the sport you will soon learn that you cannot control what others do....take the high road and move on... DO YOUR DAMAGE!!! LAY THE WOOD.... :hammer:
User avatar
duckahlr
hunter
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: NM

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Buy good decoys I started out with cheap decoys and it was a huge waste of mobey ended having to buy better ones and the cost to repaint thosr cheap decoys was crazy. Oh and a good duck call all the cheap ones I started with ive noticed scare more ducks than get them in close
sdrodriquez1049
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:29 am

Ok well weve been seeing alot of ducks recently. Weve been calling em in but cant really get them to commit!? We use decoys and mallard calls, and the ducks seem to be interested in the beginning but before they land they change their minds!? So my question is, are you supposed to keep calling the ducks all the way in? Or do you stop calling when they look to commit? Oh and how is a blind really supposed to be built? A circle, square, roof? Im thinking the ducks might be seeing us???
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:09 pm

The ducks might be gun shy and once they get close enough they realize whats really going on. Mallard call is all you need. I had the same problem in the begining with my blinds. None of them had a to but now that we have bee :yes: n putting a top on our blind the birds that do come in dont get spooked away. Rectangular blind is what I usally build lots of brush all around. I have had 3 blinds destroyed this year ppl have stole fence posts and.chicken wire that I bought to build the blinds I really dont care if other hunters use my blinds if I dont get to my blind early enough thats my fault but when someone destroys and steals items used.to nuild yhe blind ticks me off.
sdrodriquez1049
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby Medis » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:47 pm

duckahlr wrote:Thats because the 90% hunts within the same 10 mile stretch. Our blind has been pounding the birds the past 2 weeks solid, but we are putting up some crazy miles to hunt an untapped resource.

I know one guy who put 700 miles on his truck one day last week and didnt even pull the gun out of the case. There is one spot on the river that used to be a honey hole just a few years ago. A couple extra guys start hunting it and now its like I-25 has been diverted to the river. Alot of people get hooked on one spot and then cry when it gets loaded with guys. Should have scouted and found more spots. If you are new to the sport you will soon learn that you cannot control what others do....take the high road and move on... DO YOUR DAMAGE!!! LAY THE WOOD.... :hammer:



Dang, 700 miles, should have just driven to Roswell. Public hunting is great and I have already told you all the good spots. Hey, we might even run into each other. I think that would be great, a lot of fun.
Medis
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Ok but do you keep calling when the birds look swing back around or do you keep quiet and let the deeks do the work?
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:34 am

Once the birds get within shooting range I stop calling it seems to work pretty good for me.
sdrodriquez1049
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:40 pm

So what's everyones kill count for the season so far??
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby vlb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Use your call at the ducks butt, or while the duck is quatering away from you, once you have their attention.The chucka chucka feeding call only works on tv shows.
vlb
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:04 am
Location: albuquerque

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:21 pm

So keep quiet once the ducks look like their comin in?
vlb wrote:Use your call at the ducks butt, or while the duck is quatering away from you, once you have their attention.The chucka chucka feeding call only works on tv shows.
:huh:
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:41 pm

My count is at 33 ducks for the year so far but no banded birds yet.
sdrodriquez1049
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:53 am

DCL wrote:Ok but do you keep calling when the birds look swing back around or do you keep quiet and let the deeks do the work?


Depends. You gotta learn to read the birds. Generally speaking I use the "tips and tails" rule, but sometimes while they're coming in a few small quacks or a little chatter will keep them committed. We had a gadwall the other day that circled 4 or 5 times before finally committing, and it seemed like it only really commited because we kept calling as he was coming towards us.

DCL wrote:So what's everyones kill count for the season so far??


Around 50 so far.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby KHerbst » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Call hard and fast as you can all the way until you pull the trigger! :yes:

No just having fun with you. As mentioned before, reading the ducks is especially important. Some folks really do call hard all the way to the water when hunting public ground as to keep the birds set on your location vs veering off to someone else. While most people get on the internet and watch calling contests and instructional vids, those who hunt with me quickly find out I call less than more regardless of my calling pedigree or call affiliation.

If I see a flock of 15 mallards flying over the river 200 yards up, I give'm one strong 5-7 note hail....instantly I know if they are interested or not as 1-2 will hesitate in their wing beat or even lock up for a second to slow down and possibly take another look. Once circling I call at tips and tails, when inside of 80 yards coming in a double cut and quack. If they try to set down short of the decoys I call excitedly to get them back up.

Rule #1- Less is more!

Rule #2- Learn the basics well Feeder, quack, 5 note hen.......this is all you need to kill ducks consistently.

Rule #3 Never buy a call over the internet........try to blow them first as to get 1-1 help and advice! :thumbsup:
Kevin
KHerbst
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 pm

KHerbst wrote:Call hard and fast as you can all the way until you pull the trigger! :yes:

No just having fun with you. As mentioned before, reading the ducks is especially important. Some folks really do call hard all the way to the water when hunting public ground as to keep the birds set on your location vs veering off to someone else. While most people get on the internet and watch calling contests and instructional vids, those who hunt with me quickly find out I call less than more regardless of my calling pedigree or call affiliation.

If I see a flock of 15 mallards flying over the river 200 yards up, I give'm one strong 5-7 note hail....instantly I know if they are interested or not as 1-2 will hesitate in their wing beat or even lock up for a second to slow down and possibly take another look. Once circling I call at tips and tails, when inside of 80 yards coming in a double cut and quack. If they try to set down short of the decoys I call excitedly to get them back up.

Rule #1- Less is more!

Rule #2- Learn the basics well Feeder, quack, 5 note hen.......this is all you need to kill ducks consistently.

Rule #3 Never buy a call over the internet........try to blow them first as to get 1-1 help and advice! :thumbsup:
Kevin


What is calling at tips and tails? and a double cut and quack? lol please have patience with me im trying to learn :huh:
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Hey guys! Does anyone field hunt ducks?? How does it compare to river or lake hunting and how do I go about finding a spot in a field?? Thanks
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby cjc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:39 pm

One good thing to do is to scout a lot. Not to find locations of birds and hunt there, but to find birds, sneek in as close as possible, and just sit there as long as you can to listen to them. You learn a lot from the real thing. You will hear them quacking and it will help you to call a little better. Especially if you find a spot where more keep coming in. Then you hear how real ducks talk to each other while some are in the air. Sometimes you find a spot like this and think, I could shoot my limit right now in a matter of seconds, but it is a day better spent just to sit and listen. You can take what you learn that day and use it to kill ducks the rest of your life.
User avatar
cjc
hunter
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: NM

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Thx CJC! that's a good idea!
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Anybody gettin any birds? We shot 8 last Friday but only managed to get 3
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby randy marci » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:04 pm

DCL wrote:Anybody gettin any birds? We shot 8 last Friday but only managed to get 3



how did you only recover 3 of the 8 you shot? :huh:
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
User avatar
randy marci
State Moderator
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:11 pm
Location: Bernardo/La Joya with my dog Ruger

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby DCL » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Well, we jumped a few small flocks and we hit 5. I tried to get em by crossing the river. It was too deep where we hit em so we went down stream and I still couldn't cross. I felt so bad but there was nothing we could do. They released more water from cochiti lake so the water was too deep to cross. We hunted there a few weeks back and could cross, but not anymore. Guess were not huntin that spot anymore.
DCL
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: New to duck hunting? Post here!

Postby randy marci » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:54 pm

gotcha. figured it was current related.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
User avatar
randy marci
State Moderator
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:11 pm
Location: Bernardo/La Joya with my dog Ruger

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests