Duck Hunting Forum banner

Where to go...

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Catfish_Hunter 
#1 ·
Hi All, new to the forum, and only a part-time resident of the state. I spend the winters up near Aspen, but am a Minnesota boy at heart. Do a ton of duck hunting there every fall until work brings me back this direction the middle of November. Usually I get my fill of standing in freezing lakes and slaying late season, full plumage ducks by the time I come back to CO. This year was a different story, however. Warm weather kept everything further north, and has left me and my dog in a tizzy. That coupled with a slow start to the ski season has me itching to go on a hunt or two somewhere around the state.

The problem, I've never hunted ducks anywhere in CO, and don't have the first clue as to where to go. I've searched the internet far and wide, read the CO DOW brochures cover to cover, but still can't find a place that beckons. I'm looking for any input, and am willing to travel just about anywhere in the state so long as I had a reasonable chance of being successful. So far, I'm pretty keen on the Delta / Paonia areas, the San Luis Valley, or somewhere on the Colorado from Glenwood to Grand Junction. Any input, thoughts, hints, locations, suggestions, etc... would be most appreciated! Of note, I don't have a boat, so need to be able to wade wherever I end up. I don't have much to offer in the way of cash, but if anyone has access to private land, I could likely score some Aspen/Snowmass lift tickets in exchange for a hunt.

Thanks in advance.
Good hunting,
Ryan

See less See more
#5 ·
Thought maybe the crowds would be less further away from the front range. Hence one of my motivations for the potential locations I mentioned (delta, paonia, SLV, etc..). I'd likely be hunting Thursdays and Fridays too. Was hopeful between shooting these days and staying clear of the front range I could have relatively solitary hunting. Perhaps not. More importantly, I'd just like to watch a sunrise/set, shoot a duck or two, and let the dog work. Just looking for some insight as to where I can meet these goals. Thanks for the continued input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.