Duck Hunting Forum banner

Pee Dee river

10K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  POOR_MAN_IN_RICH_MANS_SPORT 
#1 ·
I am looking to start duck hunting on the pee dee river and was wonder what landing I should put in at or what town to put in at. not trying to steal spots just looking for somewhere to start.

#4 ·
You know... I have been cruising all the forums on this site and others. I have come to one conclusion.
There are a ton of people like Griffin4590 who love taking a big greasy dump on other duck hunters, new or old...
"Don't expect handouts :fingerpt: "
I thought SChunter was very clear he wasn't looking for handouts. Maybe I read him wrong.

What happened to the days of mentoring or helping a young hunter out who may be new to the sport. That is how we get more people involved in the sport...The more people involved... the bigger the voice we have for SC duck hunting in the future.

I will say since most everyone (IMHO) on these forums takes the attitude that Griffin4590 does...
it is a wonder we have anyone hunting ducks in SC at all.

SChunter- I unfortunately can not offer any help as I am in the upstate and don't travel that far south to the PeeDee.
I do hope you find a mentor in your area that can help.
Although judging from the attitudes on most duck sites... hell will freeze first.

#8 ·
sorry if i'm a rude prick but to me asking what landing is looking for someone spot to an extent. I dont suspect many of you are making 20 mile runs down the river so if you name the landing then there is another boat in your same general area. I also told the guy to watch out for false information and if you have hunted around this area you know theres plunty of that. I also feel that telling new hunter to get out there and explore, try different landings, areas, ect is about the best advice any new hunter can get. Sorry my reply rubbed you guys wrong but to me looking for specific landings that produce ducks on a river the size of the pee dee IS looking for a handout to an extent and not something I would recomend advertising. I'd rather see the guy look at maps, reaserch areas, get out there and study ducks, learn their habits and habitat, ect ect ect.
its the old saying about teaching a man to fish and he will eat for life. Or you can tell him what landing to use and he will kill ducks till it quits producing and then he is back to square one.
SChunter75,
Trust me you will be way better off if you get out there and check out as many different landings and sections of river as you can. might even find your own lil hole no one else knows about.

#11 ·
I hunt the Pee Dee river pretty hard. Its got to be froze up to be any good. Ive hunted just about everywhere on it when its cold and no place on it is any better then the rest. Just like deer u gotta be right place at right time.

#14 ·
duckgunner1 said:
carolinagreenhead said:
That last part was really all you had to say or give him the info about looking at maps, etc. You don't have to give the guy specific information. No reason to be so bad about it.
carolinagreenhead- +1 on that!

Going back and looking at most of Griff's responses in other forums... He is just "one of those guys".
I'd love to know what your talking about seeing as how the I rarely post anywhere besides classifieds and reloading/ballstics asking questions and have a very good rep on both.
The fact that you claim you took to the time to look for my other posts speaks volumes about you. when you prob just read the thread where we joked about the season being called off. Nice first and second post by the way. Do you have anything to add to this site? Cause i've been here and given lots of people good solid advice on various topics. So far you have added nothing nothing. I also like how you claim that
I will say since most everyone (IMHO) on these forums takes the attitude that Griffin4590 does...
it is a wonder we have anyone hunting ducks in SC at all.
Over the last 10 years of duck hunting i have introduced 100s to the sport. I head up guided hunts (and fishing trips) for the wounded warrior project where an average of less then half have even duck hunted before. I'm involved in numerious DU project ranging form sweating it out in the marsh to helping with fund raising events. I do A LOT for this sport. more then 95% of other duck hunters. I'm sure people like me will be the demise of this sport. To this point I have given him way more/better advice then you have. Sorry if you dont like the way i did it.

#22 ·
Public water ducks in South Carolina are a top commodity.
Men that know how to kill them consistently, got to this point by years of hard work.
They didn't get their knowledge from an internet forum, or from some friendly stranger with a soft spot for new hunters.
They put in their time.
These days so many folks coming in to the sport see photos of guys killing ducks and they want to be a part of it. I understand that part. But to be successful consistently means an understanding of an area, the habitat, weather, and bird behavior.
This part takes years, and those who understand these factors certainly aren't willing to give it up to a stranger. A stranger who certainly will take advantage of someone else's work and potentially ruin an area where the veteran has been killing ducks for some time.
Asking for boat ramps, directions on a river or lake, etc, is certainly asking for a hand out. Just because it is paired with "I'm not looking for specific spots or honey holes" doesn't mean it's not a hand out.
Maps, boat ramp locations, and other useful information are easily accessible.
Folks aren't going to invite strangers to their areas. More people mean more pressure and more pressure means harder hunting and less birds. Why would anyone want that? This isn't the central flyway, ducks are few and far between. If I want to continue killing them, I certainly wouldn't invite someone I don't know, on a public internet forum to my area. Some may think that's being selfish, it certainly is. In this State, selfish and quiet go hand in hand when it comes to killing big ducks on public water. It's just the way it is.

#24 ·
I aint no rookie. I know what the heck Im doing. I dont live anywhere near the pee dee river so I decided to ask for some help cause I was thinkin bout giving it a shot. sorry for asking for advice. guess yall dont want to keep this sport alive by helping a young hunter out. its public water your not the only one that knows bout your spots.

#25 ·
SChunter75 said:
I aint no rookie. I know what the heck Im doing. I dont live anywhere near the pee dee river so I decided to ask for some help cause I was thinkin bout giving it a shot. sorry for asking for advice. guess yall dont want to keep this sport alive by helping a young hunter out. its public water your not the only one that knows bout your spots.
Nobody said you were a rookie. However it still takes alot of scouting.

#26 ·
Asking for advice on hunting a public area is pretty common rookie practice. I wasn't calling you a rookie, but if the shoe fits... Using the "help keep the sport alive by telling others where to kill ducks" pitch is a weak attempt at trying to get some info. If I wanted to hunt the Pee Dee, I would be down there now, before the season, looking for some ducks. If you can't do that because of school or work, then tough. The folks that can, will likely kill a few ducks. Good public hunters are a quiet breed. If you want to learn a new area, take time to learn it. Don't do it during the season, do it during the fall. Keep in mind where you are seeing large concentrations of woodies and teal. Other puddle ducks will use those same areas (if they aren't disturbed) in the winter. One of the most detrimental things to public hunting is people riding around during the season looking for new places to hunt. Know your area before the season, go strait there to scout and strait out. Hundreds of boats constantly prodding suitable habitat is the reason why no one will ever get the chance to hunt the thousands of ducks that use public water. They can't take the disturbance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.