The Skinny

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

The Skinny

Postby bleedin_maroon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:38 am

Howdy All,
I'm a Southern Illinois duck hunter who is hoping for a job offer in Denver. I was wondering if y'all could fill me in on the basics of the waterfowl situation. How much pressure do the public areas get? Is it tough/impossible to get permission from farmers? Can the rivers be hunted (successfully) without a boat in public areas? I'd be willing to drive 3 hours from Denver for decent hunting away from the crowds. Just wondering what kind of hunting I should expect. Appreciate any info.
bleedin_maroon
Newb

Re: The Skinny

Postby duckman27 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:18 pm

You can hunt the rivers without a boat. Most of them are pretty shallow so you can walk across
duckman27
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:40 am

This is my second season in CO, I moved here just over a year ago from northern MN where almost everything i hunted was all public and there is so much water that there wasnt that much hunting pressure and if there was people were considerate (most of the time.) I never had to drive more than half an hour to get to a hunting spot, as there is water everywhere haha. Its a different ball game out here. I am not saying that the hunting sucks, its that the learning curve sucks haha!! There are a ton of SWA's along the S. Platte, some of them you have to have reservations, some you can only hunt on certain days, some are first come first serve basis and if its any good at all you better get up reeeeal early :) This area from Denver the Nebraska state line is covered w/ hunters especially on the weekends and the closer to denver you are. I am fortunate w/ my job that when i am home i can hunt midweek and its not terrible out there. The Arkansas river from Pueblo to the Kansas line can hold quite a few birds as well, quite a bit of state land as well. Less hunters down that way too. Then the parts i am trying to figure out is killin ducks and geese in some of these valleys throughout the mountains. There is good hunting to be had, even if you gotta go through a couple passes in the mountains. A TON less hunters too. As you can tell i am trying to figure all this out as well. I have met some great people on this forum and out in the field as well. CO is a great state to waterfowl, A lot of birds, a lot longer season than i am used to, it just takes some figurin'. Some of the biggest help i have had is talking to the conservation officers who are in the field every day, and even some of the people at the check in stations can be a big help sometimes.
Good luck to you!!
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:44 am

Also, I cant say from more than a couple days of knockin' on farmers doors. but permission is really tough to get, not because they are nice people, but because it is lea$ed up!! If its in a prime location off of a big roost or off of a river good luck. If you get off the beaten path you probably will find less birds but probably wouldnt have a hard time getting permission. I have a bunch of full bodies in a trailer that pretty much sits because i really dont have time to scout and weed through whats leased up and whats not (especially when its a few hours away from the house)
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting