Proposed Duck Stamp increase!

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Proposed Duck Stamp increase!

Postby Kona Khalua & Cream » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:04 am

I've been hearing about the proposed Federal Waterfowl Stamp increase from the current $15 to $25 for some time now. I keep reading about it and how good it is for waterfowl, converservation in general and our sport. Repeatedly I read about suport for the increase in related magazines and by organizations like DU and Delta. I'm now reading about how our "do nothing" congress is not likely to pass the legistaltion. My question is: If it is really a good thing (and I believe it is), and we all really love our waterfowl hunting then why are we waiting on congress to do the right thing when we can now? I encourage everyone who truly loves waterfowl hunting and believes in conservation to simply buy two federal waterfowl stamps per year. We have the ability to increase the revenue generated for conservation now. Don't wait for congress to act. At the rate they are gong our country will be broke and ducks extinct by the time they pass a bill.
Kona Khalua & Cream
Newb

Re: Proposed Duck Stamp increase!

Postby troutbum43 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 am

X2

Also encourage friends or family who don't hunt but enjoy birdwatching or wildlife photography to do their part and also buy duck stamps to support the waterfowl they enjoy in a different way!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:21 am

Good idea and you are right if we have to wait for the "do nothing" Congress/Senate we'll all be long gone by that time...
don novicki
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:58 pm

I am all for it. 10 more bucks is just a drop in the bucket compared to what I spend to kill ducks. I think anyone using public land or gamelands, especially bird watchers, should be required to have one. They are using the resource just as much as we are.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:11 am

I'm glad any time Congress can't agree on a new scheme to steal its people's monies. A "do nothing" government is a good thing. How could anyone trust them with another dollar? They already blow over $1.5 billion a year through the USFWS that's funded through monies stolen from Social Security, the roughly 50% of Americans that actually pay income taxes, and loans from foreign governments. Duck stamps monies are just another tax.

Just give your extra money to DU or Delta... you'll get a lot more bang for the buck.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:31 pm

:ditto:

Well Said

I couldn't agree more! IF, and that is a big if, the money went where it was intended and advertised to go I would be happy to pay $50 for a stamp but we all know that isn't the case!
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:53 pm

As long as the extra $10 goes to good use I won't mind paying it
duckman27
hunter

Postby marsh shooter » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:14 pm

quackerattacker wrote:I'm glad any time Congress can't agree on a new scheme to steal its people's monies. A "do nothing" government is a good thing. How could anyone trust them with another dollar? They already blow over $1.5 billion a year through the USFWS that's funded through monies stolen from Social Security, the roughly 50% of Americans that actually pay income taxes, and loans from foreign governments. Duck stamps monies are just another tax.

Just give your extra money to DU or Delta... you'll get a lot more bang for the buck.

Exactly!!!! You hit the nail on the head with those comments. If you want more of your money to get bogged down in bureaucracy and thieving politicians, that is okay, but its not for me. I'm not saying all of what the USFW service does is bad, they are just inefficient due to the fact that, until recently, there was no incentive to be efficient.
marsh shooter
hunter

Postby Champney » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:23 pm

you get unlimited food for $15. try going to a restraunt and seeing how many ducks you can get for that. i like it, it will get rid of the non duck hunters. only the true waterfowers will pay whatever. i took my taxes and put in a account and now have duck stamps payed for 70 years.
Champney
hunter

Postby Blueross » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:32 pm

98% of duck stamp dollars hit the ground acquiring waterfowl habitat. See for yourself - Buy another stamp while your checking it out! http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/Info/Stamps/stampinfo.htm
Blueross
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 am

Blue', I'll buy the stamp if they raise the price to a thousand dollars. But only one. Our government went another $1.3 trillion in the hole last year according to their own estimates. They spend more than they collect. To spend a few billion dollars a year that doesn't exist on an agency that claims to be able to operate a program with 98% efficiency is merely sleight of hand. I'm all for conservation dollars, just not for letting the government manage them. I'll continue giving DU and Delta my extra dollars and keep my faith within the private sector.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:52 pm

DU is even promoting the "buy 2" ideology. I have been buying 2 the last few years just to have one on hand in case a hunting partner needs one. I do agree that it is probably better spent going directly to DU or Delta. I'd love to see an option at the state level where an additional dollar or 5 could be contributed to go directly into habitat acquisition or improvement.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:00 pm

I do agree that it is probably better spent going directly to DU or Delta. I'd love to see an option at the state level where an additional dollar or 5 could be contributed to go directly into habitat acquisition or improvement.[/quote]

How would it be better? 100% of duck stamp funds go to land aquisition with no overhead taken out. Even DU, which is very efficient, has overhead and the money goes to lobbying, research, fundraising in addition to habitat.
troutbum43
hunter

Postby billsarima » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:39 pm

I don't know about all the other states but Washington state already upped the cost of our hunting and fishing licenses plus added a $30 discover pass for parking or driving on state hunting lands. I understand $15 to $25 is no big deal but enough with the nickel and diming us!!!!!!!
Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby Grebe Slayer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:46 am

I would fully support an increase. I'm a biologist and have worked for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Minnesota and North Dakota and see our hard earned dollars at work. The Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA's) that is bought with Duck stamp dollars are extremely valuable; not only has to be conserved, but maintained which isn't free. DU and Delta do a great job working with the States as NPO's, but what a lot of people don't know is that a large portion of their projects (at least DU's) is partially funded or matched by the Fish and Wildlife Service. I know there is a lot of negativity right now on our governments spending, but if we start slashing budgets especially within Dept. of Interior (U.S. Fish & Wildlfe Service, National Park Service, Forest Service), some of these programs are going to decrease. Believe me, I'm not trying to start a wildfire here on about government spending but for us outdoorsmen, a lot of what we have is in part due to our tax dollars. This is a great topic and I like to see that everyone on here is all for giving a little more to the resource.
Grebe Slayer
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Ten Reasons to Buy Federal Duck Stamps and Junior Duck Stamps

1. There are 552 national wildlife refuges in the United States.
Each is managed as a protected haven for birds and other
wildlife. Since 1934, large proportion of the funds used to
acquire these critical habitats in the lower 48 states was
provided through sales of Migratory Bird Hunting and
Conservation Stamps – commonly called “Duck Stamps.”
All outdoor recreationists who enjoy wildlife and natural
landscapes can thank those who have already purchased stamps over the decades,
for they have helped protect more than 5.3 million acres of habitat for wildlife and
for future generations of people.

2. The Federal Duck Stamp costs only $15 and it’s easy for everyone to buy – many
Post Offices, national wildlife refuges and sporting good stores carry them, as well as
some discount stores, and they are also available online at
http://www.duckstamps.com. Even better, Duck Stamps are extremely costeffective:
fully 98 cents out of every dollar ($14.70) goes directly to acquire land for
the Refuge System. This $15 purchase is perhaps the single simplest thing one can
do to support a legacy of wetland and grassland conservation for birds. The Junior
Duck Stamp, which costs $5, raises money for environmental education programs
that nurture future conservationists.

3. The funds not only go to refuges. Since 1958, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has
used a portion of the Federal Duck Stamp revenues to acquire wetland and
grassland habitats in the Prairie Pothole Region of the upper Midwest and northern
Great Plains. Through its Small Wetlands Acquisition Program, the Service has
perpetually protected and conserved nearly 3 million acres of wetland and
grassland habitat for prairie wildlife for Waterfowl Production Areas or WPAs. Part
of the National Wildlife Refuge System, WPAs provide important benefits to
migratory bird species, other wildlife, water quality, aquifer replenishment and the
environment.

4. The purchase of a Federal Duck Stamp is not something that will just benefit ducks.
Among scores of other bird species, numerous kinds of shorebirds, long‐legged
waders, and wetland and grassland songbirds are dependent on habitat derived
from Duck Stamp purchases.

5. You can say the same about that status of other wildlife – not only birds – and water
quality as benefiting from the use of the Stamp. Reptiles, amphibians, fish,
butterflies, all flourish through Federal Duck Stamp investments. Water quality is
also strengthened.

6. Some of the most diverse and wildlife‐rich refuges in the nation have been acquired
with Duck Stamp funds. Following are some refuges that were acquired largely with
Federal Duck Stamp revenue (and the percentage paid for by Duck Stamp
purchases).
Sacramento in California 99.6%
Parker River in Massachusetts 99.3%
Bosque del Apache in New Mexico 99.2%
Pea Island in North Carolina 99.2%
Quivira in Kansas 99.1%
Horicon in Wisconsin 98.7%
Muscatatuk in Indiana 98.9%
Monomoy in Massachusetts 97.8%
Bombay Hook in Delaware 95.1%
Santa Ana in Texas 94.9%
DeSoto in Iowa and Nebraska 90.8%
Okefenokee in Georgia 88.2%
Anahuac in Texas 87.5%
Ottawa in Ohio 86.4%
Laguna Atascosa in Texas 86.0%
Edwin B. Forsythe in New Jersey 84.3%
Blackwater in Maryland 77.6%

7. A Federal Duck Stamp is a “free pass” for an entire
year – for a vehicle full of people ‐‐ at all national
wildlife refuges that charge for admission – a real
bargain if ever there was one.

8. The Junior Duck Stamp is the only program in the
Fish and Wildlife Service with the specific goal of
reaching our young people with messages about wetlands and natural resource
conservation. The purchase of a $5 Junior Duck Stamp supports growing this
program and reaching even more young people.

9. The Junior Duck Stamp program connects children and nature by teaching children
the basic concepts of waterfowl and wildlife conservation and environmental
awareness in the simplest of terms.

10. The Federal Duck Stamp is probably the best‐kept secret in all of bird conservation.
Moreover, by buying and displaying a Duck Stamp you will show that you appreciate
what long‐term habitat protection for all birds and other wildlife is, and that you
care!
[Adapted from “Top Ten Reasons to Buy a Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp”, compiled by Paul
Baicich and Ric Zarwell.]
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:50 pm

I am 31 and have been buying 2 stamps a year since I was 16. Its a small part we can do that goes a long way. Although my area never has and probably never will see much done with that money for our South Louisiana Marshes which are washing away as we speak. Some of the greatest fishing and hunting in our Great US can be found here but at the rate it is going, 15-20 more years will have massive land loss and will result in more divers than puddlers, if any at all.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby navyduckhunter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Well, I am new to the forum, and appreciate the good info.

Here is something I came across regarding the Duck Stamp and proposed increase. I recently saw that the Migratory Bird Habitat Investment and Enhancement Act being worked on in the Senate right now gives authority to the Secretary of Interior to raise the Duck Stamp to whatever level he or she sees fit. I agree that the Duck Stamp cost should probably increase, since it has not seen an increase in 1991. Duck stamps are a positive means for increasing revenue for conservation; however, it is not the sole source. I would rather see the DU campaign of ‘buy two’ and encourage other giving to conservation efforts, rather than potentially giving the Secretary of Interior and a small commission unlimited authority to essentially tax duck hunters. I support the duck stamp, and cost increases. I think it should take a measured approach and have some bounds to it. I’m afraid once enacted and given this authority, it will be hard to take it back in the future, especially when perhaps a less duck hunting friendly person is running things.
navyduckhunter
Newb

Return to Conservation/Biology