how to cook sea ducks

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

how to cook sea ducks

Postby eiderlab » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:46 pm

I went sea duck hunting several years ago and took a few eiders home and cooked them, long story short, it didn't turn out well. I have an invite to go again this year but not sure if I want to go if I can't eat them. Does anyone have any ideas for these things.
eiderlab
hunter

Re: how to cook sea ducks

Postby RFATCH » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:58 pm

I shot a surf scoter a month ago for the first time and it had to be one of the strongest tasting ducks.. BUT!! I learned to mask the flavor by creating my own marinade.. I simply breasted the duck, and soaked them in a mixture of worcester sauce, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, dash of milk, garlic or garlic powder, onion powder... basically put in anything i thought would make it taste good.. The first three ingredients were the most important. You can also add italian seasoning to it, rosemary tastes good too.. ALSO, once they have marinated, heat a skillet to medium heat and put some butter in it.. Then add the breasts BUT SAVE THE MARINADE!! add some brown sugar to the marinade so that when you pour the marinade on the duck to keep it moist, the marinade carmelizes in the skillet.. gives a nice taste to the duck, a sweet taste obviously.. Idk i just fooled around all season with my own recipes and this one was a hit. As far as measurements, I just eyed it all up.. For 2-4 breasts, use about 1- 1 1/2 cups worcesshiree sauce, two tablespoons lemon juice, same for balsamic vinegar/ italian dressing.. Then eye up the other ingredients, the more you practice the better.. All the marinade fit in a normal cereal bowl for me, so do what you do and i hope it turns out
RFATCH
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking