Ice and salt water vs. Buttermilk?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Ice and salt water vs. Buttermilk?

Postby RookieJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:03 pm

So, I am a new duck hunter this year and have a mission to convince my wife that ducks taste good so I can justify all the hours I am not working on remodeling the house :lol3: . I have decided to make the duck jalapeno bacon wraps for her and want to know the best way to prepare the duck. I have heard of soaking it in salty water or soaking it in buttermilk to remove blood and add flavor. Which is the better choice and does it improve it that much?

Any advice from those who have tried before would be greatly appreciated :help: :bow:
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Re: Ice and salt water vs. Buttermilk?

Postby Tiburon5 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:53 pm

The acids and bases in the milk help to break down and tenderize the meat as well as pull blood out of the meat. Salt water pulls blood (and brakes up blood clots) out, as well as pull salt into the meat through osmosis. Both procedure work well (and you could do both) but saying which one is better is a matter of opinion. Similar to saying if salty food is better or worse than sweat food. so, in the end it only maters what your wife prefers :thumbsup: .

The things that you should not overlook are surface area, and time. The more surface area you have the more (and faster) the procedure will work. Also the length of time you soak your meat affects how well it works. With either method you have to change the solution every other day at worst. When the water content in the duck match the content out of the duck the procedure stops working.

I would recommend no less than 1 week for ether of the two. I would also recommend cutting your meat to the size you want before you bleed it. But the most important thing of all is to get rid of the silvery membrane on the meat. You may also want to consider how you like your meat done. If you like it rare poppers will do. But if you don’t want it to quack when you bite into it you may want to consider chili or stew. As far as making a difference, if either is done well, it is the difference between night and day.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby Papabear » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:35 am

I have all ways used butter milk to me it gives it a nicer flavor I soak it for 24 hours I do it twice 12 hours then drain soak it again with fresh butter milk then drain again I wipe the meat down with lightly salted water then start to cook I do this with all my wild game
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Postby aboz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 am

I've tried salt water and it does help draw the blood out. Or if you don't like the flavor just grind it all into sausage.
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Thank you guys very much for the input. I'll post if I pull this off :biggrin:
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby huntaholic21 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:11 pm

One thing i have found is soaking in pepsi, coke, dr pepper, or rootbeer and drainig and rinsing frequently. I made bacon wrapped jalapeno teriaki poppers for christmas eve. They got snatched up quick by people who think duck is gross. Every last one and it was a decent sized batch.
huntaholic21
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking