does anyone know of a place to do a public duck hunt in sc?

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

does anyone know of a place to do a public duck hunt in sc?

Postby joshwhity » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Does anyone know of a place to do a public duck hunt in sc? I live in mt.pleasant right next to awendaw. i missed out to do the draw hunts this season; and our club is having no luck. my two friends and i 18, 17,16. were lookig for a place to go. do have a boat but no dog. does any 1 know where we could go? we hanvt dont a public hunt before. like can you do a hunt on the santee river with-out doing a draw hunt? please help.
joshwhity
Newb

Re: does anyone know of a place to do a public duck hunt in sc?

Postby scflathead » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:56 pm

two threads down
scflathead
Newb

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:15 pm

I wouldnt count on getting much info on places to hunt. Get out there and look around, public can be very productive if you do the work. But it does take a LOT of WORK and TIME. If it was easy, everybody would be layin out. Check on dnr website they have all public land on there and go check them out. I wouldnt count on handouts, when people myself included find good places on public its stays under lock and key
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby joshwhity » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:16 pm

i know it takes alot of time. we are all homeschooled country boys. ha. i know the edisto and the north santee are great places and soo is hickory. but hickoy is in th drout and with edisto and santee i know its 200 yard from a house; but i dont know how to like "set up". and scout..
joshwhity
Newb

Postby scdc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:09 pm

You can either "set up" and scout like you would normally go hunting, just without boom sticks or you can just sit back and see how the birds normally fly in the area to see what is natural for those ducks. I like to do that first, to find natural feeding areas etc. and then do a mock hunt without a shotgun and see how they respond. Then, when you figure all of that out and season is open, then it is time to have some real fun.
scdc
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:33 pm

start out by getting somewhere you can see for a good ways. watch for birds and where they go. Look for flight patterns ect. each time you go try to narrow it down to smaller and smaller areas till you figure out where they wanna be. A good set of optics is a must have. Don't drive harrass them or spook them cause they may stop using that area. while you can scout mid day its a lot better to get out there at first light and see where they go and where they come from.

See I can be nice. :biggrin:
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby scbackwoods » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 am

I have talked to one of the head DNR guys, unless otherwise noted, you can can hunt on all public lakes and rivers in this state. However, you do need to be at least 200yd away from a residence. The DNR website lists all of their management areas (some draw hunt, some not) https://www.dnr.sc.gov/mlands/wma?p_type=9 oh and there are some areas listed that are prohibited for hunting due to a local ordinance.
scbackwoods
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting