Pheasants on the side

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Pheasants on the side

Postby striperphil » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey guys. A friend and I usually visit N Dak for a week in mid Oct each year and have had a great time shooting ducks and geese. We hunt in the Lakota area. Next year we would like to incorperate a day of pheasant hunting. There are almost none of them in the Lakota area. How far south would we need to drive to find decent pheasant hunting, and does anyone know of a guide/outfitter you would use? Thanks, Phil
striperphil
Newb

Re: Pheasants on the side

Postby Silewski11 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Pheasant numbers are down pretty low this year. Just letting you know. Don't know how much it would be worth it to go after them especially in that area since it is not a very good area for them. Thats just my input.
Silewski11
hunter

Postby slough » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:53 pm

A couple years ago you probably could have gone 50-60 miles and found decent numbers but the Eastern part of the state's numbers have dropped big time. You'd probably have to get south of valley city and jamestown now and it would be spotty most likely. Please don't support guides and advance the decline of hunter access in the state.
slough
hunter

Postby striperphil » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:26 pm

slough wrote:A couple years ago you probably could have gone 50-60 miles and found decent numbers but the Eastern part of the state's numbers have dropped big time. You'd probably have to get south of valley city and jamestown now and it would be spotty most likely. Please don't support guides and advance the decline of hunter access in the state.

I'm not trying to hurt any hunting access at all. We freelance the ducks and geese, but the pheasant hunt would just be a one day thing, and we don't have a dog. Trust me, I love the access w/ farmers in N Dak, it is amazing.
striperphil
Newb

Postby slough » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:01 am

[/quote]
I'm not trying to hurt any hunting access at all. [/quote]

I'm sure you're not intending to hurt access, it's just that by using a guide, you are. Guides wouldn't lease up land if no one paid them.
slough
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:42 pm

slough wrote:

I'm not trying to hurt any hunting access at all. [/quote]

I'm sure you're not intending to hurt access, it's just that by using a guide, you are. Guides wouldn't lease up land if no one paid them.[/quote]

:yes:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting