Duck Hunting Forum banner

Help, Advice, anything!! I'm a newbie...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bob Caygeon 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So this is my first year waterfowling and while our season in Michigan is coming to a close this weekend (went by so quick!!!) i've been thinking about next season already.

This year, I learned that hunting public land can be a crapshoot sometimes. Skybusters, people shooting at ducks working your spread, pressure and all the other joys of hunting public land can make duck hunting a chore.

I'll still hunt all that stuff but i've been thinkin about learning about field hunting. I have a friend that lives in "farm country" about 40 minutes south of Detroit. In his area, there are corn and bean fields everywhere. One of my friends really good friends has a ton of property full of corn and beans and they know other people in the area with land as well. All this is about 5 miles inland from Lake Erie.

How would you guys go about scouting this area and how would you know any of this is worthwhile. Is it as simple as driving around and trying to find birds? When is the best time to scout? When do fields usually heat up? or are they always good? Wouldn't they get better as lakes start to freeze? If thats the case it probably wouldn't be all that great this year cause we just now got a freeze this week.

Help me out guys!!!

Jose

See less See more
#3 ·
Look for water pockets in corn fields. Look for geese in corn fields. If there are ducks they will be with geese. Not always but usually. Hunt these same fields in September goose and watch for ducks. You may have to just go blind. Ducks are hard to scout. Also the lake is not always the best roost. You may see nothing.beast time to scout is half hour before sunrise and sunset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.