Life after school?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Life after school?

Postby bucksnbirds » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:29 pm

What do you guys plan on doing after highschool and why? I plan on joining the military, so i can fight for my country. Oh and the free college. But things can change, and if that dosnt work, I want to go to TWS (tulsa welding school) to be a certified welder. What about you guys?
bucksnbirds
hunter

Re: Life after school?

Postby garret schukis » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 pm

same here tulsa welding school
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter

Postby bluegreenteal » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:51 am

University of North Dakota for commercial aviation degree
bluegreenteal
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 am

I have some friends that have went to tulsa and missouri welding institue, missouri is wayyyy better! you can get more certs.

plus the recruitment guy from tulsa is a fat annoying sack of crap.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby duckman27 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Friends of mine across the hall in the dorms thought it'd be a good idea to do that and he has to drop out of college and go to the Mid East at the end of the year
duckman27
hunter

Postby faith » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:43 am

i am probably going to college........and after that i am going to try to do something with fish and game :)
faith
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Ducks unlimited biologist or Colorado division of wildlife commissioner
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:37 am

Stuck beetween firefighter, horseshoer, and wildlife biologist
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby nwwaterpolo11 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Go to the University (don't know which yet) and get commissioned as an Officer in the United States Navy, hopefully working with Subs.
Underradar wrote: I hope so. In heaven, dogs get to eat Koreans.
nwwaterpolo11
hunter

Postby waterswater96 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Probaley college to be a wildlife bioligist. or go into military and have free college but most likely college and try to get in with wetland studies.
Hilljacks at there finest.
Too many birds not enough shells.
waterswater96
hunter

Postby BirdBoy501 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:13 am

im panning on going to lsu.im in tennessee right now.i want to be a waterfowl biogist and maybe small game animals then be a full flede hunting guide. :biggrin:
Wack and Stack em
BirdBoy501
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 am

Taxidermy at Missouri School of Taxidermy, or go and be a volunteer to research on waterfowl at Duck Unlimited or Delta Waterfowl, because it's something I would like to do and it has always interested me. (Taxidermy if ya get God the $$$ is good)
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby gander_lander34 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:57 am

Hey guys, for those of you wanting to go into the military, this is something you need to think about. I joined right out of high school. I've been in now for 8 years with 3 deployments under my belt with no soon sign of it all ending. This is something you need to think about. Out of the 8 years I've been in, I've been in the states and available for 3 hunting seasons. The military life can be a great thing and I will never knock it or discourage you from wanting to do your part. It's just something that you need to think about. I was and still am a duck and goose hunting freak. It's what I live to do and now that I have a daughter, I will be passing it on to her. Again, if you think you're gonna have time to go to college and hunt and all, you need to think again. Most people on active duty military are only able to take one or two classes at the most at a time because of all their other duties with work. Same goes for hunting time. Just when you think you're gonna have time to go out for a good weekend hunt or something, work magically has a field exercise or some type of duty that needs to be taken care of. Remember, just because you are in the states, doesn't mean you won't go out on 1, 2, 3 week or even month or more field exercises. I have a daughter who will be turning 3 in a few weeks and I've only been around her for 16 months or so of the 36 months she's been alive. Again, that's due to deployment and field time. It's a HUGE commitment and you really have to weigh what you want to do. If you've made up your mind, good on you and go for it. I promise you though, it's a lot more time consuming than you think. If you wanna know more, just hit me up and I'll give it to you straight. I'm no recruiter, so I have no kind of goal to meet. I'll tell you exactly what you want to know, and I won't sugar coat it for you. Again, if you already made the decision, then awesome, go for it at 100% strength. If you're on the fence and wondering, hit me up. Have a safe summer and a great hunting season.
gander_lander34
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:05 pm

College to be a doctor. Going to college somewhere in the Southeast thinking LSU or Bama.
archerykid13
hunter

Postby pork4life » Tue May 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Going to college to become a wildlife biologist of aerospace engineer. By the way does anyone know if you can become a biologist for DU or Delta Waterfowl?
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue May 29, 2012 7:59 pm

pork4life wrote:Going to college to become a wildlife biologist of aerospace engineer. By the way does anyone know if you can become a biologist for DU or Delta Waterfowl?

Yes you can become a du biologist but I don't know how. That's what I would like to be also
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby pork4life » Tue May 29, 2012 8:44 pm

shootable Goose wrote:
pork4life wrote:Going to college to become a wildlife biologist of aerospace engineer. By the way does anyone know if you can become a biologist for DU or Delta Waterfowl?

Yes you can become a du biologist but I don't know how. That's what I would like to be also

Ah coo, wonder what the pay is?
pork4life
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 pm

pork4life wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:

Ah coo, wonder what the pay is?

I not sure but have you watched the ducks unlimited show? A lot of those guys are du biologists. They get to go on a lot of hunts all over the country and Canada.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Wingbuster58 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:35 pm

Petroleum Enginering at Texas A&M and field staffer for one of the big companies.
Wingbuster58
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:16 pm

I join the Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program in a month or two. which means i'm going to boot camp next october or december. which also means im going to hunt every day from sep1st to the end of april.
VAgooser
hunter

Postby pork4life » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm

VAgooser wrote:I join the Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program in a month or two. which means i'm going to boot camp next october or december. which also means im going to hunt every day from sep1st to the end of april.

you going to camp pendalton or NC
pork4life
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Learing a trade is great but I would not recommend welding. I am a welder and jobs are tough to find, you got to have "family in the click" to get the good jobs and then a lot of those jobs are "on the road". I am not a fan of working on the road, I have no desire to work the rest of my life out of a suit case away from my family and friends. Welding is hard heavy work & hot too, espcially in June July & August. You are not always going to be 18 think about your body when you are 50. My suggestion is HVAC all the way, folks will always need & want heat & air conditioning, business & industry too. I would also recommend insturmentation & electrical. My advice to you is "do as I say, not as I do", your body will appreciate it down the road.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 pm

pork4life wrote:
VAgooser wrote:I join the Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program in a month or two. which means i'm going to boot camp next october or december. which also means im going to hunt every day from sep1st to the end of april.

Parris Island, SC.
VAgooser
hunter

Postby pork4life » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:46 pm

VAgooser wrote:
pork4life wrote:

Parris Island, SC.

My bad SC, Camp pendalton is good if you ever get shipped here because there is a bunch of hunting on the base, I heard they have good diver and sea duck hunting.
pork4life
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:36 am

Keep in mind also that a field that has plenty of jobs right now may not have those jobs open in 4-5 years. You have to kind of look at hat direction the economy is going and guess where jobs will be available when you get out of school. A double major or even a minor in another field isn't a bad idea. Or you could come to ND and work in the oil fields for a few years to make some cash for school and go in a couple years........ :biggrin:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Next

Return to Youth