moving to Montana

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

moving to Montana

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:24 am

I will probably be moving to Montana from Eastern Washington in the spring and have a question for you guys. Where would you say would be the best area to move to where I would have some decent duck hunting in the vicinity? I am not asking for any spots or anything, just like what would be a good town or city to move to where I could have some decent chances within an hour or two drive? I have found all my spots here in washington by many hours of scouting, driving and hiking so that isn't a problem. I have got on montana fish and game website as well as done a bunch of other research online but I was hoping for a little nudge in the right direction from the people that know best. If any of you wanted to hunt eastern washington I would be more then happy to exchange some intel as well. Thanks!
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
vandeman17
hunter

Re: moving to Montana

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:27 am

id be far more concered about where you can find work
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:40 am

phutch30 wrote:id be far more concered about where you can find work

That is a concern for sure and part of the reason I asked the question. If I could narrow it down to even say, "southwest montana has the best duck hunting" then that would be a good starting place. I am used to driving two hours to some of my spots so that is not a big deal for me. If I can't find a job in the desired area that is fine but I figured I might as well at least TRY to find something there and if it doesn't work out, then so be it.
vandeman17
hunter

Postby MThuntr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Ekalaka.......:biggrin:...I couldn't resist!
MThuntr
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Browning
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Move to dillon and make friends with a guy by the name of hutch. Or Browning.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:26 pm

The people in Dillon arent real warm and fuzzy especially Hutch, hes a grump. plus theres no work in this podunk town.

Id say move to the Billings area. Good hunting and good chance to work. I hear the roofing industry is in need of help. I know a guy who can hire you and take you hunting. hes a pain in the rear and takes up alot of space but is usually a good guy
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Tell us what do you do for work?

Then maybe we can actually point you in a good direction. All towns are NOT created equal for work here in MT. Your moving from an area that has almost as many people as the entire state of MT
phutch30
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:58 pm

phutch30 wrote:Tell us what do you do for work?

Then maybe we can actually point you in a good direction. All towns are NOT created equal for work here in MT. Your moving from an area that has almost as many people as the entire state of MT

I have a bachelors degree in economics and have worked in the financial industry for the past 4-5 years but don't enjoy sitting behind a computer all damn day. :mad: I am pretty much willing to do any type of work that allows me to pay the bills and enjoy my free time doing anything outdoors!
vandeman17
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Great falls, Helena, Bozeman or Billings would be your best bet
phutch30
hunter

Postby TopWop » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm

From the input this year I would say Helena. Lots of birds locally and centrally located.
Don't get me wrong, it's no Browning. It's also a short drive to Bozeman, where you can
LOOK at hundreds of ducks that are off limits, unless you have deep pockets. It doesn't
really sound like work is much of an issue to the original poster. So throw all your crap
in your Subaru come on out. If you have any California Kin justa layin' around smokin'
weed, bring them too!
TopWop
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Just so you guys know too, I am not some city slicker that wants to move to Montana because of some movie or picture or any of that crap. I grew up in a very small town on a few acres, spent every possible moment outside and have been an avid hunter and fisherman for as long as I can remember. I finally moved from Western Washington that was way too liberal and way too much rain and headed to Eastern Washington. While it is much more my style over here I am still forced to live under the control of all the pukes in the Seattle area because they make the laws that govern the whole state. :fingerhead:
vandeman17
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:11 pm

TopWop wrote:From the input this year I would say Helena. Lots of birds locally and centrally located.
Don't get me wrong, it's no Browning. It's also a short drive to Bozeman, where you can
LOOK at hundreds of ducks that are off limits, unless you have deep pockets. It doesn't
really sound like work is much of an issue to the original poster. So throw all your crap
in your Subaru come on out. If you have any California Kin justa layin' around smokin'
weed, bring them too!

Nice try but that is not me at all. I had a feeling you guys might think that way, and I don't blame you because I complain about all the city folk that moved into and ruined the small town I grew up in. I am just trying to get to a place where I can live the lifestyle that I feel like I was meant to live. That is all.
vandeman17
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Just so you dont make the same mistake Topwop made, Ill fill you in now. Brokeback mountain WAS NOT filmed here and thats not the normal MT lifestyle...although i hear he does pretty well.
phutch30
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Never seen it thank goodness. If anyone hears of any job leads or anything like that, please shoot them my way. Like I said too, if anybody is planning a trip to go hunting or fishing in Washington, I would be happy to give you a few pointers or if I am heading out, you can join me for a hunt. I have some quality duck, whitetail and elk spots.
vandeman17
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:21 pm

How big are the whitetails? what about turkey's?
phutch30
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:27 pm

phutch30 wrote:How big are the whitetails? what about turkey's?

I have a few late season spots with some really nice whitetails. I would say that I probably see at least 3-4 125" and higher bucks per year in one of my spots. As for turkeys, they are everywhere in a few places that I deer hunt but I never really hunt them. I shot one when I was in college a few years ago but since then, only been out once or twice. It isn't uncommon for me to see a few hundred to around a thousand a day in the fall. They have really taken off around here!
vandeman17
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Here are two pictures. I am in the red in the group picture.
Attachments
deer 2.jpg
deer 1.jpg
vandeman17
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:44 pm

here is a quacker picture
Attachments
duck 1.jpg
vandeman17
hunter

Postby GThomp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Billings is probably your best bet for a job. I am leaving the state after i graduate due to lack of jobs around the state. I just don't have the connections around here. Its a great state full of people who are not from here originally. If you move here for the hunting it can't be beat. If you are looking for a really good job with some hunting on the side, it is lacking. Bozeman is a cool area... The hunting sucked for me this year compared to years past. Birds were just more educated and there were 3x the amount of hunters compared to years past. The college has really brought a bunch of duck hunters here who were absent before. Good luck in your decision.
GThomp
hunter

Postby TopWop » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Now that's RICH!!!! All the Homo banter and pics between Hutch and Roofer and
I gotta be all Broke Back and sh$t. And yes I do OK. Didn't you see me on the corner?
My sign said " Will suck Quack to Hunt Ducks"
TopWop
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:50 pm

If you want to make some real $, move to Billings and start looking for work east of there in Nodak or Sidney area. You can get a job roughnecking in the oil field, which pays good and gives you a 2 weeks on/2 weeks off schedule. Perfect for a hunting schedule! Billings is a decent town (Missoula is much better for us dope smoking hippies :biggrin:) and there are some cute gals in the Billings area. Good luck on your quest! :thumbsup:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I am leaning towards the Billings area and might end up heading that way in a few months. I talked to the fire chief in Lockwood and am looking into signing up for their reserve fireman program and then hopefully within a few years, I could get on full time somewhere. That would be amazing.
vandeman17
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm

What do you guys think about Helena and the surrounding area? I have a phone interview for a state job there but have never been to the area. Thoughts?
vandeman17
hunter

Postby Rat Fink » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:13 pm

Helena sucks.
Rat Fink
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting