moving to Montana

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Re: moving to Montana

Postby vandeman17 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Rat Fink wrote:Helena sucks.

Why does it suck?
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
vandeman17
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:01 pm

I have never lived in Montana but I have traveled there often over the last 12 years for business. Like 6-8 times per year in all the big towns.

I have always liked Helena for the size of town it is, the beauty of the surrounding area and the outdoor and hunting opportunity nearby, the flavor of having a college in the town and the fact that it is not overrun with newly arrived Californians trying to change it into California like some of the other big MT towns. (I say that as a Californian who moved to Idaho.)

I think that I could live in Helena.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:48 am

I like Helena, as MT cities go its better than most
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:37 pm

I've spent a lot of time in Helena and think it's a pretty kick ass city! Cute women, a college, and great hunting opportunities. Lots of beetle kill to keep me busy!!
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby BirdfootBill22 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:52 pm

so i gather from all the chat that unless you have an in with a property owner or you own land yourself that the duck hunting is sub par. I am moving out to montana in a few months to help my mom out who just accepted a job in bozeman, and thought it would be nice to do a little duck hunting next year and wanted to aquire some places to hunt, I am willing to go partway in on a property that someone would be willing to lease for the duck season next year. and also how does the montana waterfowl hunting licenses work? i hear somewhere that you have to apply for a license to hunt.
Havin a QUACK attack!
BirdfootBill22
Newb

Postby wickedmfer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Once your a resident which takes like 6 months, you can buy your license over the counter. You don't have to apply for a general waterfowl license, just if you want a swan or crane permit. If you want steller limit every time duck hunting you need to become friends with Phutch. :biggrin:
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:01 am

:lol: kneepads are a must :yes:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:04 am

Not anymore. I didnt limit last night. :no: :oops: Its all over.

Actually having private permission is just a great buffer for slow times. Theres fantastic waterfowl hunting on public land if you have the equipment required to access it
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:02 am

BirdfootBill22 wrote:so i gather from all the chat that unless you have an in with a property owner or you own land yourself that the duck hunting is sub par. I am moving out to montana in a few months to help my mom out who just accepted a job in bozeman, and thought it would be nice to do a little duck hunting next year and wanted to aquire some places to hunt, I am willing to go partway in on a property that someone would be willing to lease for the duck season next year. and also how does the montana waterfowl hunting licenses work? i hear somewhere that you have to apply for a license to hunt.

Don't lease..it's bad for your taste buds. This ain't like it is out east.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby BirdfootBill22 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:30 pm

ok, thank you very much for the info, Ive actually got some leads on some land to hunt! hope it all works out so I can wack some ducks next season! Im hoping to make some buddys for duck hunting. None of my buddys out east duck hunt so it would be nice to have some aquaintances that love duck hunting as much as I do!
Havin a QUACK attack!
BirdfootBill22
Newb

Postby sloth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 pm

The hunting around billings aint bad. city is nice (except for all the darn oneways). people are nice too. just sayin
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Previous

Return to Montana Duck Hunting