Reenforced boat hulls

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, Itchy Coyote, duck slayR

Reenforced boat hulls

Postby Duckedo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:03 pm

I've been thinking about getting a new boat and, over the years, I have seen several boats around the lake with extra plates on the hulls to deal with the thick ice that is so common on the lake. Are those plates something that those people have added to their boats themselves or can I buy a boat hull that is already reenforced. If it is something that is added to boats who can I contact about having it added to my boat? If I can buy a reenforced hull what is the best manufacturer to go with?

I was telling some of the eastern shore hunters about some of the ice I have been out on at Reelfoot and they acted like I was full of it. One guy said he would think twice about going out in ice that is 1 inch thick. I wish I could load them up and bring them to the lake during a thick freeze up.
Duckedo
hunter

Re: Reenforced boat hulls

Postby Itchy Coyote » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:15 am

Not sure about the new hull but a few weeks ago I went up to go fishing on the easten shore and as we came out of the choptank river some guys from Tilghamn Island were standing on the back of there work boat shooting diver ducks as they flew by. The way there were shooting they would of needed a 40 ft. boat to carry all the ducks they got. We did get a few stripers but the whole time I want to be on the back of their boat with them.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Re: Reenforced boat hulls

Postby CP » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:36 am

I read this and though... EEEEEK!

I have a thin skin Waco and I limit myself to 1/4 inch ice. I have seen thick skinned Sea Arks busting laterally through 1 inch. However... it is NOT the size of the hull thickness, it is the thickness and the weight and balance of the boat. If I move slow and if I have to break ice in an emergency, my boat actually breaks thick ice (1/2-3 inches) the ice by ramping up on it and breaking it downward. As such, the thickness of your bow is not as important as balance of your boat, the hight of the transom (for when you boat goes up over the ice) and how light your bow is. Some really long and heavy Sea Arks and other thick hulled boats can not ramp up onto ice and therefore have to laterally break ice... which is insanity with brittle soft aluminum.

My worry with extra plates is that a guy will be tempted to take on thick ice because he has an extra few square feet of steel on the front of his boat. Duck boats are not made for breaking ice. Way dangerous. Even more so for aluminum that gets brittle in deep cold.

My 2 cents... avoid, avoid, avoid. If you have to break ice in an emergency (meaning on the way back from a hunt, not the way out to a hunt), use the ramp up method.
CP
hunter

Reenforced boat hulls

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:47 am

If just have a boat built to your specs. My hulls 3/16 and though we don't have ice I wouldn't be scared to go through it.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting