Duck Hunting Forum banner

Be Careful In The Backwater

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  teamoutlaw 
#1 ·
4 people sunk a boat near waldon's in Ballard yesterday. 3 adults and 1 10yr old boy. hunting the backwaters in a 12ft jon boat with only 2 life jackets, luckily they held on to trees and got the 10 yr old up on a limb.

Just a wake up call for everyone that stuff is dangerous. I wouldnt leave without a life jacket and wouldnt over load a boat, and damn sure wouldnt take a 12ft boat out on those waters.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Fo ... 31788.html

#2 ·
This goes back to my previous statement about being cautious, careful, and using your damned head....I saw that on the news and was thinking what kind of idiot assed moron would put there self in danger like that and then your young son on top of that....Maybe it's time for a bunch of us to get together, say down at the lake, and have an all day safety class on the water of what can happen and what to do when something bad happens...But more so to prevent bad things from happeneing in the first place...If several of us would participate in this and get the media involved it might help educate some of the morons of the world...Try finding that freakin app for your iphone...

#3 ·
dablaw said:
This goes back to my previous statement about being cautious, careful, and using your damned head....I saw that on the news and was thinking what kind of idiot assed moron would put there self in danger like that and then your young son on top of that....Maybe it's time for a bunch of us to get together, say down at the lake, and have an all day safety class on the water of what can happen and what to do when something bad happens...But more so to prevent bad things from happeneing in the first place...If several of us would participate in this and get the media involved it might help educate some of the morons of the world...Try finding that freakin app for your iphone...
Words of a wise man...Well spoke.

Its too dangerous to be taking risk and with the weather normally really cold, bad things can happen real quick. Always always have enough life jackets for everyone in the boat, everyone knows how to operate the watercraft and make sure at least one cell phone is in a dry storage container!!! Its not fun and games anymore when a boat full of people have to challenge the environment in order to live!!!! Mother nature normally WINS. Good luck men and BE SAFE.

Good post Outlaw. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
4 people in a 12 ft boat? I wouldn't have 4 people in most 14 ft boats, especially during the winter. I have a 12 ft boat myself and will be using in some backwater this year (and have in the past), but it will be me and my gear and it will be used to haul me and the gear to and from where I set up. If people would use some common sense this stuff wouldn't happen. Three adults, a child, and gear= way overloaded 12 ft boat. I have seen some 16 ft boats that would be overloaded with all of that.
Chris

#8 ·
Alot of newcomers to this sport just don't think it will happen to them..When your in your younger years your 10' tall and bulletproof...When an accident in frigid water, like we have now happens, things go wrong exponentially faster than in summer conditions..Add darkness, rain and visibility issues, bulky clothes and waders...well you get my point...There has been many a mornings I have waited for daylight to look over the situation before I have gone out...and somedays I just got that gut feeling and we went back home...Look, I love to hunt waterfowl as much as the next guy, but after doing it for 30+ years I dont have to push it for a limit of birds anymore...I have killed countless limits of ducks and geese in my life and believe me, I still want to kill some more...But if I act foolish I won't be around for the good days...Keep the wind in yer face....

#9 ·
dablaw said:
Try finding that freakin app for your iphone...
I just about fell over.

These people were plain dumb. I agree, it would be nice to have a winter boating safety event, but "you can't fix stupid".

That said, getting some kids involved and people who have experienced situations to tell their story could make young hunters act more safe. Especially those teens who go out on their own.

#10 ·
chrispbrown271 said:
I have seen some 16 ft boats that would be overloaded with all of that.
Chris
My 1648 boat is rated for 5 people, 500+ pounds or 3 Americans. ~1100 lbs with motor gear and people. With 4 good sized guys, my 40HP can't get up on plane and it sits a lot lower. I only take 4 people in my 1648 on good weather and sheltered water.

Guarantee you that 12 footer is rated for about 260 lbs of people. I'm fairly sure they were way over that.

#17 ·
i can eat alot but never got any insulation been same height and weight since 8th grade and im almost 25.

they were indeed lucky and get to live to tell about it and spread the word and possibly keep someone else from making the same mistake. I cant imagine what the young boy was thinking. im glad they are ok and hope they get back after the ducks in the future and learn from an easily avoidable mistake.

#18 ·
Pure dumbASS. No other way about it. The boy's the only one that didn't know any better, bet he does now. What the hell is going on when you cant whoop your kids (the way our folks whooped us) without fear of jail, but you can stick em in a overloaded boat in winter in backwater with a chance of finding a life jacket if **** goes wrong. Plum pisses me off to say the very least!!!

#19 ·
I think at some point all of us have been in positions that make us think twice about what were out doing. I hope that all of these fellas learned a valuable lesson that morning. Thanks to the quick response no one was lost or injured. Unfortunatly for some people it takes more than others to relize the value of being a role model and mentor to the young fellas. Hopefully these guys have alot more safe and prosperous hunting trips together. Maybe even invest in a larger boat and a slew of lifejackets...

#20 ·
While I feel for the kid and for anyone that gets in that situation, I am having a really hard time with the adults in this situation. From what I know in the paper the owner of the boat was sited for multiple violations. I also saw that they were 200yrd out in backwater and that the adults were standing contrary to what the news said and had decided it was to far to walk. I'm sorry but if I am standing I am walking out or I am getting the boat flipped over and drained with my other hunting partners and gettin out of there. Glad they are ok none the less.

#21 ·
mudman692566 said:
Pure dumbASS. No other way about it. The boy's the only one that didn't know any better, bet he does now. What the hell is going on when you cant whoop your kids (the way our folks whooped us) without fear of jail, but you can stick em in a overloaded boat in winter in backwater with a chance of finding a life jacket if crap goes wrong. Plum pisses me off to say the very least!!!
Whoever said you cant whoop you kids in public.... :huh: My dad and mom did it all the time to me. I know for sure when I get older and have children, there's not going to be anyone tell me I cant discipline my children when and where!!!! :biggrin: A good beaten never hurt anyone. I've had my fair share and never once been in trouble.

But yes mudman, it makes me angry as well. I see parents do dumb stuff all the time and you wonder why the government hasn't taken the children away..... I've never seen a manual given out to parents when they have children, but maybe they should.

#22 ·
I grew up hunting in western Ky and I have seen several tragic accidents occur because of bad luck,
poor preperation, faulty equipment, and other things. These morons ought to be prosecuted for several
violations.

My son has told me that top of everything else they were using an electric trolling motor. Really smart.

Please keep in mind that the rivers, especially in back water, have an incredible amount of hydraulic power.
I have seen 16' boats pulled under the water by whirlpools in backwater conditions. You need enough motor
to get yourself out of trouble.

Pulling the bodies of drowning victimes out is not a happy chore. Have a safe season.

#24 ·
If you always ALWAYS prepare for the worst case scenario, then you will never have a regret that you shoulda, coulda, woulda...99 times out of 100 the lakes and rivers have ZERO tolerance for mistakes or "Bad Luck"...Like I said above, Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...I'm not saying be so wrapped up in safety that you can't enjoy yourself, but there has never been a tragedy because someone was being too safe...I could keep re-whipping this horse, but hopefully we have covered most things by now...Be careful out there...your momma didn't raise ya, and your wife didn't marry ya, just to bury you because you were careless...

#26 ·
lablover0929 said:
Respect old man river, just dont be looking for any in return. Plenty of advise here, but get a waterproof case for your phone. Could save you one day. And communicate where your going and approximately when you will be off the water.
I use a plastic baggy for my phone (and my hunting license / stamps). The touch screen on iPhones and Android phones should work through the bag. Not completely waterproof, but should save it from a quick dunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.