I need help badly

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

I need help badly

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:48 pm

:help: Im only 11 but have about 30 decoys but there all water decoys im taking my dad field hunting and need a way to use them in the field.would i be able to put diver dekes in my spread?. :help: I should have a couple canda shells to go along with the spread we dont have lay out blinds either plus would it effect my spread if some werent painted to well please help! :help:
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm


Re: I need help badly

Postby bulletman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Either use stubble or dig down a bit and sit your decoys so they won't fall over or lean OR you could make some wooden bases the keels will slip into that hold them if you have time. You could hide in a fenceline or small draw if there is one near where the ducks are feeding or maybe try some burlap and lying flat and getting covered up. Give it a shot, even if it doesn't work the best 1)You're outside enjoying the worlds and 2) you're doing it with Dad :biggrin:
bulletman
hunter
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: I need help badly

Postby duckhuntr35 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:46 pm

If you will send me your address I will send you 6 hardcore fullbody field decoys , I no longer use them and maybe they will help you , you can put the water decoys in the field too ducks wont know the difference
If you aint duck huntin you should be !!
duckhuntr35
hunter
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: texas

Re: I need help badly

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 am

WOW! ARduckboy! Only 11 yrs old and you have the wherewithall to go on a duckhunting forum and ask a great question like this! I'm impressed! Also, it's great that you are taking Dad hunting!

Use whatever dekes you can use. Normally you wouldn't use divers in the field (divers don't walk and don't feed in fields, but the ducks you are trying to decoy probably won't notice til it's too late) but something is better than nothing. We often use folded tar paper dekes when we need numbers for a big field hunt up in Canada. Paint job on the dekes should not matter, but will give you a good project to "touch up" the dekes in the off season. As far as the floaters, just try to set them up straight in the field so they don't fall over on their sides.

As bulletman said, you may be better off covering up with a burlap sheet and putting some natural vegetation on top. However, at 11 years, it may be a little difficult or dangerous to handle the shotgun for a prone position. I'm sure Dad can make that call for you.

What a great, generous offer of the full bodies, duckhuntr35! That is a fantastic way to get a future waterfowler hooked on our sport for a lifetime!

To help you out as well, ARduckboy, if you'll pm me your name and address, I'll send you a dozen of my "floater to field" decoy stakes that I designed about 15 or so years ago. Might not get there before your field hunt, but you'll have them for next time.

Good luck and good hunting!
User avatar
tenfingergrip
hunter
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: I need help badly

Postby ARduckboy24 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks guys.I've shot prone before with a shotgun but i may use my 20ga insted of my 12ga.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: I need help badly

Postby alanwebfoot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

tenfinger grip I agree that's great an 11 year old WANTS to be with his dad huntin' Yeah use a brush row or even one or 2 last standing rows of corn for hiding in IF you have any ,To make a cheap but effective ''ground blind''just get some waterproofedd canvas duck big enough to cover you top and bottom like a sleeping bag ,,use some zip strips and attach some stalks when you get in the field and most of all have some fun!! and old blanket under you will be warmer than Ten on top ,lying on the ground
alanwebfoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:54 am

Re: I need help badly

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:24 pm

duckhuntr35 wrote:If you will send me your address I will send you 6 hardcore fullbody field decoys , I no longer use them and maybe they will help you , you can put the water decoys in the field too ducks wont know the difference

Kinda late but do you still have them and could you send them is so I'll get an adrenal in the morning and if I have to I'll pay shipping.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: I need help badly

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:25 pm

ARduckboy24 wrote:
duckhuntr35 wrote:If you will send me your address I will send you 6 hardcore fullbody field decoys , I no longer use them and maybe they will help you , you can put the water decoys in the field too ducks wont know the difference

Kinda late but do you still have them and could you send them is so I'll get an adrenal in the morning and if I have to I'll pay shipping.

I mean address
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: I need help badly

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 am

ARduckboy,
Did you ever get the floater-to-field stakes I sent you? I couldn't remember if you got them or not as my memory fades occassionly! If you got them, were they in time to try them out last season? Seems like I sent them to you around the end of January. Snap a picture and let's see how they are working.
User avatar
tenfingergrip
hunter
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: I need help badly

Postby ARduckboy24 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:05 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:ARduckboy,
Did you ever get the floater-to-field stakes I sent you? I couldn't remember if you got them or not as my memory fades occassionly! If you got them, were they in time to try them out last season? Seems like I sent them to you around the end of January. Snap a picture and let's see how they are working.

Yea I got them they look real good but didn't get to try them we killed 52 ducks during the youth season last year. Can't help but thank you enough.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: I need help badly

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:12 am

One thing I have done over the years is tell your family and relatives what you want for your birthday and Christmas (as far as decoys etc). They will know that they got you what you wanted and YOU wont have to deal with anther lame gift you never wanted.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: I need help badly

Postby eburgsnake » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Slack Tide wrote:One thing I have done over the years is tell your family and relatives what you want for your birthday and Christmas (as far as decoys etc). They will know that they got you what you wanted and YOU wont have to deal with anther lame gift you never wanted.



I do that as well. With some websites your family can see your wish list so they can order exactly what you want.
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
User avatar
eburgsnake
hunter
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 pm
Location: pergatory AKA south King County

Re: I need help badly

Postby BGipson » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 pm

eburgsnake wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:One thing I have done over the years is tell your family and relatives what you want for your birthday and Christmas (as far as decoys etc). They will know that they got you what you wanted and YOU wont have to deal with anther lame gift you never wanted.



I do that as well. With some websites your family can see your wish list so they can order exactly what you want.


My grandparents have resorted to giving my Cabela's cards every birthday/Christmas since they could never figure out how to find what type of deek I was asking for. Another very good option for those who are technologically challenged
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
User avatar
BGipson
hunter
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: Cambridge, ID


Return to Field Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests