Wood Ducks???

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Wood Ducks???

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:19 pm

Hello out there. Unfortunately for me, i have the calling and the killing part of duck hunting down. As for the cooking, i could use some pointers. I would like to know if any of you cooks have an idea for wood ducks that is good. I should let you know that easyness is an issue behing a college student. Any input will help.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:56 pm

Stuff em into a crockpot. Add a cup or so of your favorite wine...we like White Zenfendel. Toss in a stick of butter.Guzzle the rest of the wine. On a higher setting, cook for about an hour hour and a half. Throw in some veggies, celery,onions, carrots...they wont take long, maybe the last 30 minutes or so. Get em almost done before adding veggies....spoon the meat, wich will be falling off the bone, along with some of that juice over some wild rice or egg noodles...BOOYA.

One Whole Woodie....stuff with apples, celery, and half an onion. With toothpicks, fasten strips of bacon over the breast. Now this way I dont like to cook the ducks too much, somewhere between medium and medium rare. Bake covered for about an hour at 350 degrees. Remove stuffings from bird...those are just to help with that wild duck taste.

Got one more for ya....Fillet woodie breasts. Soak in milk or salty water over night. (You should do this to ALL ducks) Dip breast into egg wash( 1 egg and a splat of milk) Dredge breast through flour that has salt and pepper to taste. Dip floured breast back into egg wash and dredge through crushed pecans. Fry breasts in skillet with oil...I like olive oil. DONT OVERCOOK THESE BABIES...about 6-7 minutes on each side. Serve with broccili and the rest of your wine , if it aint drank already.

Hope this helps...When is dinner! Y'all have a nice day!

:salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

woodies on the barbie'

Postby twoscoots » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:37 pm

take the breast off the breast plate ( this gives you two ieces of meat) then cut each into equal parts by cutting across the grain of the meat. ( now ya got 6 pieces) take each piece of meat and wrap it with a piece of bacon (uncooked) put a tooth pick through the bacon end to hold it in place, now wrapp with aluminum foil . put this on you grill (charcoal or gas). DONOT TRY TO COOK FAST. check one of the pieces after about 10-12 minutes to see how fast they are cooking . You will want to eat them when they are almost done all the way through. If ya cook for too long then you will get a tougher piece of meat . The bacon will season thepiece of meat as it cooks and the whole thing is to be eaton except that tooth pick! twoscoots
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Postby easttexasduckhunter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:54 pm

Fillet the meat off each side and cut each side in half. Then take a good slice of cream cheese on one side and a good slice of a japlano on the other. Take a slice of bacon and roll it up put a tooth pic or a stick though it and lay it out on the grill. Dont let it cook too long and dont cook it too fast. Wood ducks to me are the best eating duck they dont have that strong of a duck taste to them they are good about every way. U can also make thoes roll ups with dove or anything.
woodie wacker
easttexasduckhunter
hunter

Postby the old man » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:40 pm

Fillet meat from breast bone. Take this meat and slice it across the grain, as thin as you can cut it. Place in bowl and cover with worchestershire sauce. Place in mircowave for about 5 min., stir and cook fro 3 to 5 min more. Works good with all kinds of ducks. :salude:
You don't have to be crazy to duck hunt, but it helps.
the old man
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:27 pm

Bread and fry the breast and legs, doesn't get any better :thumbsup:
the_duckinator
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking