Xmas Day

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Xmas Day

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:47 am

Who all hunts on Xmas Day?

I have had some of the best hunts of the season on Xmas day a couple yrs.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Re: Xmas Day

Postby duckbuster06 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 am

While it's not always the best hunting, I always get a quick hunt in. Probably one of the best times to hunt public because only the die hard hunters will be out.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:10 am

I always hunt xmas day when I'm not dating, after I get a woman i've never been able to go because of all the muth I have to put up with.

Agree, xmas has been good to me in the past for hunting.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby chrispbrown271 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Used to be a tradition for me to go to Oakwood Bottoms (in Southern Illinois) every Christmas morning by myself. Most times I had it all to myself and a few i broke through some pretty thick ice, but I always enjoyed the morning. Now days I have a child so the most important thing is to see the look on her face that morning. But honestly, I am looking forward to the days when I can get out there for my traditional hunt again.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:16 pm

i may be riding solo that morning but im definately going, atleast the dog will be able to enjoy the christmas morning with me lol. probably wont hunt all day but I usually try and go somewhere and we are having our xmas at night so im going to enjoy this morning.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby lablover0929 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 pm

This is a day of family and kids. We have started a tradition here the last few years, my 21 yr old daughter, my son, and I go on Christmas eve. Last year neither could go, but the wife and a good friend went. Hunted over the DHC traveling decoy that morning.
Last edited by lablover0929 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM YELLA DAWG
lablover0929
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:03 pm

lablover0929 wrote:This is a day of family and kids. We have started a tradition here the last few years, my 21 yr old daughter, my son, and I go on Christmas eve. Last year better could go, but the wife and a good friend went. Hunted over the DHC traveling decoy that morning.

Sounds like a really cool morning!!

Are they still doing the traveling decoy?
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2

Postby mox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm

quackstacker2 wrote:
Are they still doing the traveling decoy?

Yeah, there's a sticky thread in the Honey Hole.

I hunted Divers last Christmas on Barkley. My dad, cousin and I were out until around noon. Anyone that was out there knows how beautiful the lake was that day. Everything but the water was white. With a little one on the way my future Christmas hunts are looking slim for a couple of years!
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby teamroughneck » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 pm

never miss a xmas day hunt
Nothing makes a day of hunting better then having a kid with you..
teamroughneck
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:02 pm

mox i shot a limit of mallards and 2 ringers myself that. i only seen one other group out there and they shot 1 duck
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby dablaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:26 am

Last Christmas day, me and my boys went out and had a top 10 in my lifetime hunt...One I wont soon forget...All limited out on Bills,Cans,buffs,and Eyes..And it was a picture perfect morning that day with the snow...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:24 am

birds flew fairly well that morning and almost no pressure. the other guys i seen were at the ramp i never seen them hunting so i had no one in sight of me.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:21 am

dablaw wrote:Last Christmas day, me and my boys went out and had a top 10 in my lifetime hunt...One I wont soon forget...All limited out on Bills,Cans,buffs,and Eyes..And it was a picture perfect morning that day with the snow...

How lucky you are dablaw....I wish I'd get that experience!!!!

quackstacker2

Postby mmayes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:24 am

I hunt every Christmas day. It has always been peaceful except for the one time it rained cats and dogs all day but myself and my partner killed out in short order.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:55 pm

a few years back it rained all day in south east missouri. we hunted 3 of us. shot 12 mallards, 6 ringnecks and 5 canadas. I got a banded drake mallard and dad's buddy got a banded ringneck was a good hunt. Too bad dad told mom we would be back by 9am and we got back at 1pm and he got that arse chewed.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby mmayes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:03 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:a few years back it rained all day in south east missouri. we hunted 3 of us. shot 12 mallards, 6 ringnecks and 5 canadas. I got a banded drake mallard and dad's buddy got a banded ringneck was a good hunt. Too bad dad told mom we would be back by 9am and we got back at 1pm and he got that arse chewed.

The way to cure getting an arse chewing is to tell them you will be home around dark and when you show up way before that they are happy you came in early. Its all about managing expectations.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby Quackrstackr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:39 pm

I used to but after getting married and having a kid, that came to a screeching halt.
Quackrstackr
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:mox i shot a limit of mallards and 2 ringers myself that. i only seen one other group out there and they shot 1 duck

We were around Dryden's and never saw another boat. Lake was awesome lookin that day. 2 of us killed a blue bill limit, a goldeneye and a couple mergansers.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:55 pm

mox wrote:
teamoutlaw wrote:mox i shot a limit of mallards and 2 ringers myself that. i only seen one other group out there and they shot 1 duck

We were around Dryden's and never saw another boat. Lake was awesome lookin that day. 2 of us killed a blue bill limit, a goldeneye and a couple mergansers.

You two sound so much more fun to hunt with than kyfowl does!! He just gets me in trouble... :yes:

quackstacker2

Postby deaconlab » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Never been out on xmas day??? Went/go on Christmas morning alot. Same on Thanksgiving and any other holiday during the season!
deaconlab
hunter

Postby clayrhye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:56 pm

Always go for at least a few hours on xmas morning. At least until a little one comes along, then something tells me that will cease for a few years... That something being my wife... :lol3:
clayrhye
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:06 pm

I usuall go rabbit huntin with my Uncle Ronnie on Christmas day. Then we go back to mamaws house and aunt Rose cooks up bisquits and gravy and sorghum molases. I like that alot but if I got a chance at some ducks that would be neat to.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:51 am

What no fried rabbit with the biscuits and gravy? That's one of the greatest meals I have ever had. I big platter full of fried rabbit, a steaming pan of biscuits and a skillet full of sausage gravy! Makes me miss my Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma could fry rabbit like no one else around and Grandpa and I could put it away. Always left one back for Grandma, she always said thats her favorite part, though I suspect she wanted to make sure we got our fill. Man, if things could be that simple now days.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 am

seems like the grandmas and grandpas are always the best cooks.. my grandpa cooks good steak, deer and goose. my grandma makes the best sweet tea, and anything my other grandma makes it great too
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby Skilletshootin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 pm

I'll be out there.... Somewhere
We ain't in the duck huntin business
We's in the duck killin business.....
And brother business is a boomin!!!
Skilletshootin
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting