Brand new duck hunter. Please read

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Brand new duck hunter. Please read

Postby KY_newbie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Hey guys,

Myself and a buddy are wanting to get into this waterfowling stuff, and basically have no idea where to start. I am not asking for any secret spots, or to even tag along. What I am asking is for any and all tips on the basics and getting started. Biggest question is, how do I scout out potential spots, both public and private? If i'm driving around, what should I be looking for that would make me want to try to acquire permission to hunt that spot? Any other tips are of course welcomed. Thanks a bunch.

Chris
KY_newbie
hunter

Re: Brand new duck hunter. Please read

Postby sthwht24 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm pretty new to this myself, but one thing I'll say is wait for stuff (decoys, calls, clothing, etc.) to go on sale, check eBay & craigslist or else you might not need to carry a wallet here soon. As for what to look for, where are you located? I think its as simple as finding the birds themselves. If you put enough time into it eventually you should find some on the water or flying. Not a lot of great info I know, but others should be able to offer you some more. Good luck
Last edited by sthwht24 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sthwht24
hunter

Re: Brand new duck hunter. Please read

Postby KY_newbie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Well I am in Lexington right now, just graduated from UK, but am willing to drive a little bit to be able to hunt. If any Lexington guys wouldn't mind just teaching me the basics, I would be happy to bust my butt helping with whatever needed doing. I also work in the lodge at ***** Sporting Goods in lexington and get a pretty good discount on a lot, so I would be willing to offer that up too. Keep the tips coming!

Chris
KY_newbie
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting