Boat trailer using up tires

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Postby bubbasblazer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:47 pm

I have a 14ft v- bott 30hp ,and it seems that every year my trailer is going through a set of tires. My toungue height is a little high at 22 inches. I have measured the axle to make sure it's straight and it measures the same at both hubs and the center to the cross support. I have taken it to a trailer shop with no luck. The kicker is it is wearing the centers outta them. No wear on the inside or outside rib on both tires just the centers. I've tried droppin air pressure but it didnt really do much. I measured the tongue weight by setting a bathroom scale to the tougne height them setting the coupler on it. Itcame to 85lbs give or take. Anyone ever been through something like this?
bubbasblazer
hunter

Re: Boat trailer using up tires

Postby California Sprig » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:09 am

Excess wear on the center of tires is generally caused by over inflation
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:16 am

X2
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:40 pm

are you using bias ply tires??

radial trailer tires at the correct air pressure should solve this.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby bubbasblazer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:46 pm

One would think overinflation, however the tires are rated for 990lbs each and call for 90psi. They do not last long at all with 90lbs. They are bias ply, I've aired down to 45psi with the last set and it's still doing it. Yeasterday I measured from the axle to the back of the trailer at both sides and at the middle just to be sure the axle wasnt outta whack and it measured up fine. I dont really wanna run under inflated tires but am totally lost it seems no matter what I do the centers dissapear.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:22 pm

I've got one tire of the two that seems to wear out faster than the other. It seems mine is toeing in (or leaning on the top, I think that is toeing). I'm just too lazy to try and fix it. It seems a tire will last me about 2 years.

Jesse
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:47 pm

you may wanna check your bearings, if you already havent done so. This set I wore out I just got last year the week of thanksgiving. I race dirt track in the summer which takes most of my fishing time up so the boat really only gets used for duckin with a few catfish trips in the summer. I along with everyone else is stumped and holy crap they want an arm and a leg for a new trailer. I forgot to say that when I got the boat the trailer was lengthened by someone cutting the tongue and splicing a piece of box tubing. I cut that down and replaced the coupler to a normal looking distance and bolted a coupler back on. It pulls true and no crab walking. After I cut it down seemed to be the start of the problem.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:37 pm

does the trailer have brakes?

I think part of your problem is using a bias ply tire, we use radials on our trailers for our masonary company and we usualy get 2.5-3 years out of a set of tires and they are usualy pulled once a week if not more.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:21 pm

Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks for the link. The wear pattern would suggest too much air, but with 90 psi like the sidewall says the centers go away quicker than you can blink your eye. It has everyone stumped. I'm gettin tired of buying tires I know that.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 pm

bubbasblazer wrote:Thanks for the link. The wear pattern would suggest too much air, but with 90 psi like the sidewall says the centers go away quicker than you can blink your eye. It has everyone stumped. I'm gettin tired of buying tires I know that.

next go around buy radials. but with a 14ft jon boat, motor, and gear you still wouldn't need to run 90psi in the tires. try 55-65psi and see how they wear.

just FYI I run 38psi in my truck's tires that are load range E 37x13.5x22's

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah I ran bout 22psi in my 39.5 Trxus STS had to take them off tjey were gettin dyr rotted and I was runnin outta people to borrow 8lug wheels and tires from for inspection. By far the best set of tires I've owned daily driven for 6 or so years, still had meat just gettin a little dry. I hunt down a set of radials and see what happens.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:45 pm

As I previously stated excessive wear at the center of the tread indicates that the air pressure in the tire is consistently too high. The tire is riding on the center of the tread and the center is wearing prematurely. You state that you have lowered the pressure to 45psi. Then lower it to 35psi and if still experiencing center wear then lower it further. Also be sure you have an accurate air guage.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 am

California Sprig wrote:As I previously stated excessive wear at the center of the tread indicates that the air pressure in the tire is consistently too high. The tire is riding on the center of the tread and the center is wearing prematurely. You state that you have lowered the pressure to 45psi. Then lower it to 35psi and if still experiencing center wear then lower it further. Also be sure you have an accurate air guage.

Or your rims are to narrow for the tires being used. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:07 pm

lostknife4 wrote:
California Sprig wrote:As I previously stated excessive wear at the center of the tread indicates that the air pressure in the tire is consistently too high. The tire is riding on the center of the tread and the center is wearing prematurely. You state that you have lowered the pressure to 45psi. Then lower it to 35psi and if still experiencing center wear then lower it further. Also be sure you have an accurate air guage.

Or your rims are to narrow for the tires being used. Lost

I highly doubt this is a problem, as trailer tires are narrow to start with and a wheel would have to be MUCH more narrow to cause that much ballooning.

I see guys running 6-7.5in wide stock wheels with 13.5 and 12.5in wide tires with out a ballooning issue all the time, sure it looks stupid but they dont have any wear issues.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Well just check out the manufacturers wheel width recommendation for the tyres you are using, pretty simple to forever answer that question. Different wheels for different tyres........................
What other plausable reasons do you have?

Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:44 pm

bubbasblazer wrote:One would think overinflation, however the tires are rated for 990lbs each and call for 90psi. They do not last long at all with 90lbs. They are bias ply, I've aired down to 45psi with the last set and it's still doing it. Yeasterday I measured from the axle to the back of the trailer at both sides and at the middle just to be sure the axle wasnt outta whack and it measured up fine. I dont really wanna run under inflated tires but am totally lost it seems no matter what I do the centers dissapear.

Very few tires are rated for 90 psi. I suspect you have tires that are way too heavily constructed for your trailer application. Your setup shouldn't need anymore than 30-35 psi in a standard trailer tire. I'm running 30 in standard tires with a lot more weight and load than your little boat. Too much tire and inflation will cause your troubles.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:51 pm

You can also place a board or 2x4 against the outside at mid height and at points equidistant from the axle measure the distance between the ends of the 2x4's to check toe in although on much longer distance than from the insides of the tyres front and back. I am still of the opinion that you have the wrong width rims, to narrow, than your specific tyres call for. Over inflation or wrong rims or misalignment will cause big time centre wear. Your axle may be upside down. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:57 am

If you do not have the weight ballance more on the tongue the trailer will sway slightly which can cause excessive tire ware. It is best to have it tongue heavy with the axle as far back as it can be positioned or the boat as far forward as it can be.

What size tires are you running? Remember that the smaller boat trailer tires are really spinning at 70mph and Centrifugal force can make the center of the tire really stand out. this happens a lot on the 8" and 12" tires. I have 175/80D13" Bias on my 18-60 Grizzly and they have been fine for about 5 years now but only about 2500 miles on them. I have found the Carlisle sport trail tires last a long time on my utility trailers. I tried Kenda on one trailer and they dry rotted in a year.
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tracker19 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 pm

you might have to little tounge weight on the trailer,or to much causing the trailer to bounce going down the road. i have this problem with a dual axel trailer we had build for our farm. behind my bronco the trailer would bounce unless i put weight over the axels for farther back. hooked up to my 1ton the trailer would still bounce unless i added weight to the tounge area.
go afeild with a good attitude , with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. it will cleanse your soul and make you a better person-Fred Bear
Tracker19
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:42 am

By the information you provided you have either a gross misalignment, to narrow rims and/or over inflated tyres. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 am

To verify proper alignment on a trailer always measure from the axle ends to the center of the receiver...not the tail end of the trailer. I remove the draw bar from the truck and use the ball post as an accurate measuring place and string to the outer ends of the axle or the hubs to determine if everything is kosher.

That said I agree with lost that overinflation or alignment is the culprit AND if you are trailering enough to wear out several sets of tires I would definitely go with radials...especially with a fairly light craft being towed they will outlast bias ply 3 to 1.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Wood you happen to have a "Torsion" axle? There tuff on tiers if there over loaded.
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Had the same trouble with my boat trailer. Finally took it to the best wheel alignment shop in town. They measured, beat the hell out of the axle to get it back in alignment, $35. I put on a new set of tires and have had them on 3 years now. I used to have to put on new tires every year.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:38 am

There ya go !!!!!! That axle could be upside down and instead of having toe in you have toe out plus there could be other alignment problems as well. LOST
lostknife4
hunter

Next

Return to Vehicle forum