Boat trailer using up tires

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

Re: Boat trailer using up tires

Postby bubbasblazer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 pm

I noticed a slight tweek in the axle about a foot from the hub, so at the end it was measuring fine but a straight edge along the axle showed a slight bend a foot in. A new axle is cheaper than a set of tires so new axle here we come. :yes:
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:12 am

Would still recommend you take the trailer to an alignment shop and check/adjust the alignment. My local cost is $35 for a single axle trailer for alignment. Pretty cheap to save your tires from having to be replaced yearly.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:35 pm

bubbasblazer wrote:I noticed a slight tweek in the axle about a foot from the hub, so at the end it was measuring fine but a straight edge along the axle showed a slight bend a foot in. A new axle is cheaper than a set of tires so new axle here we come. :yes:

how is it bent? because trailer axles are suppose to have a slight arch to them.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:37 am

To produce an axle with the proper camber, caster and toe in after assembling the axle, welding on the stubs or machining the spindles etc it is common practice to bend the axle slightly to produce the required specifications. also the correct placement on the trailer frame with respect to the hitch coupler can be checked and adjusted at an alignment shop. Your best bet is an alignment shop first. Then fix whatever they find, it may be the axle placement and it may also be an axle that has been bent from hitting something or it may be that the axle is installed backwards or even upside down ~ it happens. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:09 am

Another question...Did you buy this settup new or used.... If used it may be possible that the previous owner swapped out the original wheels/rims possibly with the narrow ones you have now.

Load also makes a big difference. I once modified a small boat trailer to carry 2 canoes for a trip we were going on. We burned through 3 tires in about 300 miles. There just wasn't enough load on the trailer.

Anybody else notice that you can buy the wheel/tire combo for only a few bucks more than what a utility tire alone costs ?
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Plus the tyre is mounted and full of air for just a few $ more. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum