Sky busting vs Pass shooting

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Sky busting vs Pass shooting

Postby Craxty » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:47 pm

What do you consider sky busting and how does that differ from pass shooting? I have to admit I watch a couple of waterfowl shows and it sure seems to me that the folks on Drakes Migration Nation and A Fowl Life are shooting some high birds. It takes quite a bit of time as those birds tumble to the ground. Is that sky busting? If not, and that is considered pass shooting, I could probably be taking many more shots than I do. In fact, during Thanksgiving break I probably had 150 birds fly by and only a couple legitimately decoyed, feet down and close. I harvested one. What's right here, the proper etiquette?

If you have dog and can retrieve birds that would otherwise be lost because of distance change things?

Re: Sky busting vs Pass shooting

Postby ohio mike » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:22 am

If the birds are within range of your gun/load and you feel that your shooting ability gives you a legitiment chance of a clean kill then go for it,thats pass shooting.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:57 am

yeah sky bustin' is when a bird who has NO intention of dropping in or even flared and way out there you just blast a hole in the sky because you haven't seen a thing all day ,pass shooting is positioning yourself between a pond, lake, river whatever,, and corn field or resting place and they come over you ,because you have scouted or watched them that morning and know their pattern.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:59 pm

Sky blasting is when you (based on your limited practice with gun/load) at unreal ranges. Pass shooting is bases on your experience behind the gun/load and I have seen some consistently drop birds at the 70 yd mark when I would not even take the safety off. Most stay on the range and shoot for a living.
WOODIE13
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting