Winchester Xpert??

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Winchester Xpert??

Postby PharmD10 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:29 pm

Last year I overheard a duck hunting buddy say that he heard Xpert steel shot was composed of alot of different shot sizes. He said that this was because at the end of the day, all the spilled shot on the floor at the factory was reused and put into Xperts. I thought this statement was false, but one of the other guys we hunted with used Xpert, and he decided to open one up to see if the rumor was true. It turns out, there were a couple of different shot sizes in the one he opened up. Anyone else ever heard of this??
PharmD10
hunter

Postby PharmD10 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:15 pm

So, I'll take everyones unwillingness to respond as a no.
PharmD10
hunter

Who knows...

Postby HENDU3270 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:15 pm

I've never heard of it before, but I wouldn't be surprised. Think about how many shells Winchester puts out on any given day. It's entirely possible. And think about Winchesters point of view......"who in their right mind is gonna sit down and start picking through our shells to compare the size of these little steel balls?" lol
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HENDU3270 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:16 pm

..............Oh....except for some crazy duck hunters on a blue bird day.
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:27 pm

I believe it. I don't think they shoot very good. I bought a couple boxes of 4's and couldnt hit squat. Switched to my kent fast steel and was hitting everything...

Or it could just be me... :yes:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:52 pm

Im not joking, this morning I had a big mallard fly right into my decoys, probably like 20 yards away, I had a xpert 4 chambered and missed, my second shot was a kent and it folded flat...

again, it could just be me, but I will NEVER buy xpert again.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:08 pm

I don't hink I would either lol
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PharmD10 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:17 am

Thanks guys. Just wondering if anyone else had problems with them
PharmD10
hunter

Postby atp » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:10 pm

Hi

We used them --#3 shot--burned so dirty,we had to scrub the barrell like never before.I wouldn't reccommend them to anyone for that reason alone!

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:55 pm

I never heard of this either. I hope it wouldn't be true. I prefer federal anyway.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:31 am

I have been shooting the experts because they are cheaper and I am sick of missing birds. This weekend I am trying the kent faststeel and from what I hear should actually hit something.
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:27 pm

O_E_J_,

well did you notice a difference with the Kent shells?
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:38 pm

Some of my buddies have also claimed that about the different shot sizes in teh experts. I even heard one story of someone finding a little square pellet it one. I find that hard to believe though. I've never used the experts and don't plan to because ever since I shot Kent Fasteels a few years ago I haven't shot another brand since. THey pattern awesome with my 870 and I don't have very many cripples either.
quackkiller
hunter

your correct

Postby twoscoots » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:54 pm

yes yes yes! I opened one earlier today and yes the largest was about twice the size of the smallest! But the real kicker is all of them were mishapen. My patterns were excellent with this stuff
@ 35 yards however and I am having no problems with the kills. I suspect that when the season goes into the mid to late dec. I will switch over to the fed. # 2s that my gun seems to cherish :yes: Image PS this is the 8 X 11 1/2 inch paper at 35 yards :laughing:
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:17 am

Had to see if it was true, so we cut one open. Everything from size 6 to BB. They were supposed to be 3 in 2s. Thank God I didn't buy any.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duhunter5 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:43 pm

I dont care what anybody say. The xpert fast steal is the best shell that ive ever shot. My % this season was over.750 so im not complaining :cool:
Eat, Sleep(just a little), Hunt, Fish...
duhunter5
hunter

Postby Steverinobambino » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:44 am

IMO, The only real difference b/w the discount shells and the premiums is CONSISTENCY (patterning, no misfires, etc). It is why almost all serious clay target shooters ONLY shoot premium ammo when the money and glory is on the line. To me, it is no different with the serious duck hunters.
Steverinobambino
hunter

EXPERT STEEL

Postby pyle30 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:01 am

I SHOT EXPERT STEEL OPENING WEEKEND AND I HATED IT I COULDNT HIT ANYTHING. THEY WERE FLYEN RIGHT OVER OUR BOAT THEN I GRABBED A COUPLE OF BOXES OF KENT FAST STEEL THEY NEVER MISFIRED, THE PATTERN WAS EXCELLENT IT ENDED UP LIMITING OUT THE SECOND DAYOF THE SEASON IVE BEEN WITH THEM EVER SINCE. i AM SHOOTIN THE STOGER MODEL 2000 3 INCH THAY HAVE NEVER JAMMED GOIN FROM A 3 INCH TO A 2 3/4 INCH 2 SHOT TO 4 WUT EVER SHELL I HAD IN IT SHOT GREAT. OH YA HAS THE PHEASENT HUNTING BEEN GOOD ANYWHERE THIS YEAR.
Without hunting the fall and winter would just be football.
pyle30
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:15 pm

The shell I cut open contained all the same size......I use these shells most of the time....pretty good for the money....gonna try some kent next box I buy....
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby Steverinobambino » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:04 pm

I have heard tha same thing..that it is composed of RECLAIMED shot used in blasting steel in various industrial processes. I can see how the shot size may not be uniform in Xperts as opposed to shot that is exclusively made for its purpose--to kill birds. Not to mention the varying sizes of shot...
Steverinobambino
hunter

Postby Duck Buster » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:17 pm

I just opened a 2 3/4 #4 up, left over from early teal season. Are the pellets supposed to be flat or all have flat spots...lol all the pellets looked like that ... not one round one in the whole bunch! they are some dirty burnning puppies also! You can have em' !
Going Hunting or fishing today, I can sleep when i am dead.
Duck Buster
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:40 pm

:thumbsdown: Just read the post, had to do my own test. Cut open two 12gauge 2 3/4" #4's, one 20 gauge 3" #4. These were Winchester X-Pert High Velocity load's, for the most part they were pertty similiar in size some were different, alot of them had dimple's in them, hardly found one that was round, most of them were oval, or egg shaped, there was even a few that had hole's in them, and very dirty when I picked them up my hand's were filthy. Very shocked and dissapointed with this discovery. I also cut one Remington 12 gauge 2 3/4" #2, and a Fedral 20 gauge 3" #2 apart, and looked at them. That is what shot is supposed to look like, all the same size, almost perfectly round, everyone of them to, they were also very clean. Don't know if it is true but I heard they coat steel shot with something, I would believe it on the Remington, and Federal's, they almost appeared like they were shined on a buffing wheel. I will not be buying anymore Winchester Ammo period, even if there cheaper shell's can't be made with some quality, makes me wonder how much they're putting into there high dollared shell's. I never had much problem with hitting bird's with the X-pert's but my brother-in-law claim's you have to be an expert to use X-Pert shell's. Going to try the Kent steel never used it before. Thank's for the post!!! :thumbsup:
duckdog
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:37 pm

It makes me laugh when people say they shot at a duck at 20 or 30 yards, miss, then blame it on the shells. There is no doubt the x-pert shot is not the quality of the high dollar stuff. There is also no doubt that they are very deadly inside of 40 yards. If you point the gun in the right place- they will kill as dead as hevi-shot - and believe me Hevi shot is very deadly.The high dollar shells are great if you are planing on shooting long shots. They more than likely will have a little more consitant pattern though your gun and, at least with hevishot, be a lot more deadly. If you want a good deal on a duck killer - the High velocity xperts will get the job done just fine at a very good price.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:40 am

i just opened up a #4 2 3/4. there were some 2's in there and what looked like a couple #9's??? My hands were real dirty. they were flat on the sides. my dad shoots them, i use Hevi shot and when im out i use kent. i just opened up kent #2. They looked beautiful and shiny, lol. I dont really want to spend $2 to open up Hevi shot.....
NS39340
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:30 pm

I cannot bring myself to open up hevi-shot either. Matter of fact I usually only load one at a time. From an article I read, they are not perfect round (some even teardrop shape) and you have different sizes in them. After season I might take a leftover and check it out myself.
Thundersnow
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes