Spring creek ramp in frederica

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Spring creek ramp in frederica

Postby bubbasblazer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:16 pm

I put off at the ramp in frederica opening day and had a hell of a time backing down the path since they did all that construction with the overpass. My truck was sliding broadside down the slope they made, and trying to dodge the road signs and sewer markers, with it being so muddy. On the way in i noticed a much better looking ramp across from the one most folks use, this one actually looked paved to an extent and much easier to back down. Does anyone know if it's "private" or can it be used as well? At low tide it looked like there was a few rocks that could be tough on a trailer but high tide didnt look so bad.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Re: Spring creek ramp in frederica

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:17 pm

I have been down both of those "Ramps"....if thats what you want to call them.
I usually put in with a canoe there, but I have seen many 14' - 16' Jon boats use both.
The ramp on the south side is wider and has crushed rock leading down to the water.
Launchers usually park on the hill next to the ramp road or at the top of the ramp road next tot he marsh.
The north side is narrow and is all dirt.
Launchers have to park way up by route 1 as the road to the ramp is narrow.
The south side has large exposed rocks at low tide, but deep water is close and a launch can be managed with care.
The north side has a wide mud flat at the end during low tide.
Fun area to hunt as the tide on the Murderkill has a real big swing (sometimes close to 4- 5 ft) and the tidal surge is strong.
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Yea, man that water deffinately moves in and outta there. That north side "ramp" aint ni fun with a lifted pickup that takes 80acres to turn let alone with a boat trailer hooked up. I did see the rocks on the south side minus the rocks it looks like it be alot easier as compered to dodging them signs and sewer markers :biggrin:
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:36 pm

I couldn't imagine trying to back a boat into that north ramp since the Route 1 work has been done.
Before the work, there was some room to pull off to the side of route 12, but now there is just a small area between road signs.
The south side is basically the same as it ever was.
Just a bit tricky at real low tide.
Wait for a east wind and a rain event, then the low tide doesn't seem to get that low:)

Do you hunt the FCFS sites on the murderkill or are you up spring creek?
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Yup, I dont do great but pick off a few here and there. I like L.C. since I feel safer going there by myself, but reports of low #'s I figure I'll stay closer to home, and take a chance of a bird coming off the private prop.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:55 am

That area isnt too bad depending on which site you get.
That crazy private land closer to the river is STACKED with birds throughout the season.
Doc somebody's property.
Sometimes you get a few fly-bys close to that area, but I eke out a mixed bag all over that marsh.

No sense in hunting alone.
Drop a line and we'll get some coffee and hit the marsh together.
I hunt LC and the FCFS area.
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:12 am

Sounds great dude. I usually have off during the week. So I'll senda ya a message.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby waterfowlerinde » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Thats Dr Masten.. The sad part is that he dont even hunt. One of his sons is a milford cop asnd the other sells houses i trapped snappers on his ponds up there.. **** sweet layout..I have a privite blind up on murderkill a mile or two past the two bridges.. no birds
waterfowlerinde
Newb

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting