Sabine Resevoir

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Sabine Resevoir

Postby bcat84 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:23 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about Sabine Resevoir or if there is a national wildlife refuge there?
bcat84
Colquitt County Ducks Unlimited
Georgia
bcat84
State Moderator

Postby saintsfan » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:45 am

Yep, there is a national reserve there. I am assuming that you are talking about the Sabine National Wildlife Refuge in Southwest Louisiana? Sorry if that is not the one you are talking about.
saintsfan
hunter

yeah

Postby bcat84 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:04 am

yeah, that is it....is it the best public place to go in Louisiana?
bcat84
Georgia
bcat84
State Moderator

Postby saintsfan » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:22 am

I don't know if it is the best in Louisiana but it is pretty darn good. I have hunted those marshes for years and I believe that they are some of the best. Good luck.
saintsfan
hunter

Sabine

Postby bcat84 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:39 pm

If I was coming to hunt there from Georgia would it be worth it????

If so what own should I stay at and what area is good to hunt?
bcat84
Georgia
bcat84
State Moderator

Postby saintsfan » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:18 am

I can't really say if it would be worth it. Are you planning on getting a guide? I think you may want to check into a guideI hunted last weekend and all we killed was teal, very disappointing. If are bringing a boat hunt the refuge and you should probably be able to do it by yourself. If not I would suggest getting a guide. You can check out the refuge's website for the rules for hunting the refuge. There a more and more guiding services opening everyday. I don't live in Hackberry or I would be able to assist you better.
saintsfan
hunter

dec

Postby bcat84 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:19 pm

I willnot be coming until dec 26 so i think there might be more birds down then...i do not plan to get a guide i plan on being there enough to scout and find my own birds....i just wanted to see if you could help me with a town nearby so i could find a place to stay and have a starting point so to speak...is hackberry where i shoud stay?
bcat84
Georgia
bcat84
State Moderator

Postby saintsfan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:15 am

You can stay in Hackberry it is about 6 miles from the main refuge office, however, there is only one place to stay in Hackberry here is the shorcut http://www.babescajun.com Sulphur is about 20 miles away but there are lots of places to stay, Hampton inn and Wingate are on the highway going to Hackberry. Both of these hotels are very nice.

I do hope by that time more birds will be down there. Let me say that I do not hunt the refuge so I don't know a whole lot about how to hunt it. (We have property next to the refuge). Maybe someone else will be able to provide more insight into hunting the refuge. I have included the shortcut to the refuge website.

http://sabine.fws.gov/
saintsfan
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:10 pm

I do hunt the fuge it is pretty good if you know where to go. Better get there early. And make sure you know all the rules and regs cause if you break em your gonna get a ticket no doubt.
Park Duck
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting