Snow to Blue Ratio

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Snow to Blue Ratio

Postby ndfowler17 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Is there a certain number to the amount of snow decoys and blue decoys to have in a spread? Also would it help to throw in some juvie decoys in there. And what would you guys recommend for a ratio of feeders to sentrys?

Thanks!
ndfowler17
hunter

Re: Snow to Blue Ratio

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:35 am

I don't think it really matters. 25 years ago blues made up maybe 10% of the flock, now I see flocks that may be 60-75% blues. But keep this in mind.... the visibility is what you want and white decoys will give you better visibility than dark ones. My spread still only has about 10% blues and it seems to work fine.

I tend to like at least 60/40 mix feeders/sentries. You don't want it to look like the whole flock is on alert.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:15 am

I doubt it makes any difference what so ever. I have the same approach with early season ducks. People get hung up on hen only mallard decoys as ducks have poor plumage then. But, never the less, i put out my full plumage drake decoys and birds decoy just fine. I just dont think that they discern plumage as to if they are going to land there or not....I go with the other gentleman that posted. When your decoying, you want visibility...That means whites and darks because they show up well, not mottled colors. So, id go with more snows.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:09 pm

Just make sure you have enough for a good "salt and pepper" look.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum