Rear accessory lights

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Rear accessory lights

Postby Fowl Intentions » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:14 pm

So on my last truck a friend wired me two rear lights with a switch in the cab. This was a must for me launching/prepping a boat. I bought a new truck and need to do the same thing but the friend is no longer around. Anybody know much about this type of project? I am mechanically inclined but not when it comes to wiring stuff.

Cheers
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Re: Rear accessory lights

Postby petrel » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:21 pm

I installed Delta Tech Xenon lights under the bumper and installed a relay through the back up light circuit. Delta tech sells a kit with everything you need for this installation. If you want a switch in the cab, they've got the stuff for that too, along with instructions. http://www.deltatechindustries.com/taillights.html
petrel
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 am

Look into a Bully hitch mount back up light.They mount to your hitch and are easy to wire. There are only 3 wires - hot wire, ground and one for backup. It will come on when you shift into reverse and there is a switch on the light itself it so you can turn it on manually when you need light behind your truck when prepping your boat or what ever. No need for a switch in the truck cab. They also make a clamp on version so you can move it left or right on you bumper. They are bright lights 55 watt each. I like the hitch mount version. They are great when you arnt towing anything and you have to back up is pitch dark. I
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Fowl Intentions » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks for the help guys. I plan on mounting the lights on my topper or roof bars. I like light from above. Just for fun does anyone have pics of your setup?

cheers
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Postby petrel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Just two square lights mounted snug under the rear bumper about a foot from each end. I mounted mine on tabs made of left over galvanized sheet metal, instead of bolting them directly to the bumper. If they hang something, I'm hoping the tabs will just bend, instead of having the whole light tear off.

I've got a set of the Vision X Solstice led flood lights on order to install on the trailer. I thought about overhead lights on the truck, but they seem to create a fair amount of glare. I think they would be ok for working around the truck, but my lights are intended for finding my way while backing into unfamiliar launch sites.

For boat prep lighting, you may want to consider installing under the gunwale waterproof led strip lighting in the boat. It is a lot easier on the night vision than flashlights or overhead halogens, and it is also handy when putting out decoys.
petrel
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:02 pm

I have a camper shell on my truck so the light on the back of the cab is covered up by it. Besides the Bully hitch mount light I also would like a light up top on my shell but I just don't feel comfortable drilling in the top of the fiberglass shell. Installation would be easy but I hate to think about messing up a $2,000 shell.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Fowl Intentions » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:59 am

I feel the same way about my shell. I do have roof bars and have been trying to figure out a way to mount the lights. I just don't want them getting ripped off while in thick cover. Tough choices.

cheers
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Postby ncduckdoc » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:36 am

Try mounting on a light bar but attach the lights so they can be pushed back level with the bar when you dont need them. This way you can still use the bar for canoes etc. you could use big wing nuts to adjust the light bracket. When the lights are face down and out of the way they seem to last longer. good luck
ncduckdoc
hunter

Postby Fowl Intentions » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:29 am

OK so I am having troubles with the wiring of these lights. I have a switch in the cab to turn them on and off. Had it working but now I am blowing fuses and when I don't the power wire becomes very hot and smokes. I am using 16 ga wire, the stuff that came with the kit. What am I doing wrong? Why won't my lights work?
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Rear accessory lights

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:02 am

Tell us what each wire is hooked
To. You've got
A short somewhere.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Fowl Intentions » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 am

I bought a kit. One positive wire with a inline fuse, one wire to connect to the lights, and one wire for a ground. I spliced the ground into the trailer wiring. Don't know if that is the problem. These lights were meant for front fog lights so I had to extend the wires. I am trying to redo the ground and get it out of the trailer system. Should I run a ground straight from the battery? Also there is a switch in the dash.

Cheers
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Rear accessory lights

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 am

You should have a positive coming from
The battery positive to your switch. The other side of your switch should feed the positives to your lights. Your negative or ground should go from your lights to ground(frame), or negative. That is all there is to it.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Fowl Intentions » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 pm

It's never that easy for me. I tried to ground to the frame, bare metal but nothing. This is getting to be a pain. Can I run a ground from the battery or would this cause problems?
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Rear accessory lights

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:31 pm

You can run a negative from
The battery. But if
You were on bare metal and had your
Positive hooked
Up it sounds like you may have already popped a fuse or
Burnt something up.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Fowl Intentions » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Have been blowing fuses. I am using 15's when I put in a 20 the pos wire gets hot. Still no lights. What am I doing wrong?
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Rear accessory lights

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:11 pm

There's a short somewhere.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Tracker19 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 pm

i like the backrack with 2 light mounted on it, it puts em up high so you can see the boat really good (even with tinted windows) plus lights up your bed.
go afeild with a good attitude , with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. it will cleanse your soul and make you a better person-Fred Bear
Tracker19
hunter

Postby simonmundine » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:42 am

The accessory lights are in my bed room. The are one of the finest ones. It also has high photosynthetic efficiency and lower cost. They can be used in various occasions and also at various places.There are manufacturers providing them. But how do you identify the quality of these Rear accessory lights without special equipments when face different choices? At first, let's look at the package of the product. The original lights/item will be packed by anti-static and damp proofing material. Secondly, the label on the package is different.

led lighting Melbourne
led flood lights
simonmundine
Newb

Return to Vehicle forum