how do you do your duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

how do you do your duck

Postby BDK » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:01 pm

how do you do your duck when plucking and gutting ?
i usually just breast and today i plucked and gutted and singed 5 of them today .
what method do you use to get the down and other feathers off with ease ?
BDK
hunter

Re: how do you do your duck

Postby billyjett » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:50 pm

After they are all plucked and ready to go, take game shears and cut along each side of the backbone until the whole backbone is out. Butterfly them and coat both sides with course ground pepper and kosher salt.Get the barbecue going at about 400to 425 degrees.In a small sauce pan on the stove on med heat, mix together: 1 stick butter, 1 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of apricot preserves or jam or preserves of your choice. Red currant jelly is killer as well.Blend all ingredients until butter and honey are melted and keep warm. Throw the ducks on the grill, skin side up, and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, turn them over, and slather the cooked side with the mixture, cook for another 5 to 7 minutes skin side down, then turn them over and cover skin side with mixture. I usually cook with charcoal, and I cook them indirect so the skin doesn't burn. They must be served rare, or at the most med rare or they will get tough and over cooking causes them to taste gamy. You can add wood chips if you like a smokey flavor, and there is usually sauce left over for dipping.The sauce is for 2 large ducks. Enjoy.
billyjett
hunter

Re: how do you do your duck

Postby BDK » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:57 pm

sound good ill have to try that one . when you pluck them how do you get all the down feathers out , i singed mine but is there a better way ? like paraffin or somthing
BDK
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking