Upland too?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Upland too?

Postby MTJoe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Was curious if anyone has been out upland hunting as well, and what kind of numbers they are seeing. Here in the NE corners numbers on all uplands birds have been doing good. It really surprised me with all the snow then the flooding.
MTJoe
hunter

Re: Upland too?

Postby MontanaMatt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Tons of pheasants here in the Bozeman area. Too bad they are all standing behind an orange fence post. I took a drive north of Belgrade the other day, late afternoon, and quit counting when I got to 700 birds. And every last one on private property, with no hunting signs in overabundance. Fun to see anyway.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:49 am

Thats why there are birds. If the public had access to them they wouldnt be there
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby MTJoe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:28 am

phutch30 wrote:Thats why there are birds. If the public had access to them they wouldnt be there

I agree, that a lot of the public stuff gets hunted till it's shot up and gone. I guess I am pretty lucky in that though I could get permission to upland hunt some of the private land I dont, I want the birds to have that refuge. That way I always have a chance of breeders for the next year and at least something to work the dogs on.
MTJoe
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:08 pm

I've knocked on every door north of Belgrade to ask permission. I get the same story over and over. Not enough birds to hunt this year. Gonna let em breed for a few more years before we allow hunting on our property. I don't mind being told no, but I wish they would use a viable excuse. What the landowners apparently don't know, is that if you have 20% carryover from last year, you had one hell of a good year. Pheasants in particular will rarely show 15% survival over the winter. Between weather and predation, you just never get recruitment numbers higher than that. So those 700 birds will number about 100 next spring even if you allow no hunting. Seems to me to be a waste of tasty birds. But I guess the foxes need to eat too. And I am not ripping on the landowners. If I owned that land, I am not sure I would allow public hunting either. Just saying...
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:14 pm

And just to be clear, if I had permission to hunt these properties, I would absolutely not shoot em up in a few days. I respect the resource, and would never disrespect the landowner by abusing his generosity. If I ever have a season where I take 10 pheasants again, I would be happier than a cold hog in warm mud. And extremely grateful for the opportunity.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby MTJoe » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:06 am

Well I like that the birds have a refuge from public hunting, and I find enough birds to limit well each year, plus being retired, I can hunt when I want, as much as I want lol.

I agree about a lot of the carry over. I really dont think a lot of folks will be happy with the upland numbers till they are flushing them out of the driveway! :yes:
MTJoe
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:49 am

Exactly Joe. One place I stopped at to ask permission, was littered with pheasants. After she told me that there just wasn't enough birds around to allow hunting, I counted 37 birds in her driveway in the 25 steps it took me to get back to my truck. Mostly roosters. I will never be all butthurt over what private landowners do or don't do with their property. Like I said before, if I owned some of that property, it's likely that me and my very close buddies would have a blast shooting birds, but I couldn't promise that anyone else would get access. One of the perks of owning your own land. Maybe I will enjoy that perk someday. Until then, I keep walking public land that was severly shot up by noon on the pheasant opener. And I still enjoy myself.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting