Hunting regs question

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Hunting regs question

Postby scdc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:12 pm

I have looked and looked on DNR and could not find anything on whether it is legal to bring along someone hunting with you if they will not be shooting at all. Just wanting to bring a good friend along on there first duck hunt to 'test the waters' and see what it is all about. They will just be sitting in the blind.. Is this legal in SC? I've always seen children and spouses at a dove field that aren't hunting so I'm pretty sure it is legal but just want to be 100% positive.. Thanks for the help
scdc
hunter

Re: Hunting regs question

Postby CSS » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm not one hundred percent sure but I think they'll have to have an apprentice
license
CSS
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeah I'm not sure on that one. I would make the call to DNR to be sure about it but I think CSS is right. That is what they designed the apprentice license for (other than just getting more money).
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Hunting regs question

Postby Duckcommander727 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:33 pm

If they don't assist in anything as in backing boat down, decoys, blind on boat, retrieving birds etc. you should be fine. Call DNR and check though.
Nick Roehl wrote:Anymore of it on the open forum will result in a 2 week time out. You know the type you give to children when they won't listen.
Duckcommander727
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:15 pm

im sure u would get a ticket...thats like bringing someone to a dove field and they just sit there...whos to say they got hunting...i would go the sure route and get them a license...just b/c u talk to one person at dnr dont mean nothing...they all interpret the rules differently so it just depends on which officer you get that day
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby scdc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:33 pm

I thought the apprentice license was if they actually are hunting.. They allow people to be on game lands mountain biking etc. so I don't see the difference in a boat and just sitting there watching, not calling, nothing. I'm going to give it a try tmrw, there is no regulations that we can find so we'll see I guess. I've only been checked once (saturday) this year so I highly doubt we will be checked on a Wednesday mornin..
scdc
hunter

Postby Cajunwannabe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:05 am

Duck hunting isn't a "party hunt". If there isn't an extra gun onboard for said friend then I'd DARE the dnr to write a ticket for watefowl hunting without a license. I've taken my brother, been checked and he wasn't licensed, hunting, carrying an extra gun and we were fine.

Now , as the number of BAD experiences with SCDNR GW's increases I would challenge you to know the law BETTER THAN THE GWs so,if possible, research and get official information in writing and carry it on your person. (versus the " I heard it on a forum that it was ok".) Just another way to be hassled in the field if you aren't prepared for the scrutiny.
Cajunwannabe
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 am

for how cheap it would be to get an apprentice license i dont see why you dont go that route just incase...its all a matter of what gw u get...they all interpret everythign different...doesnt matter about a gun...that would be like bringing them onto a dove field and they just sitting there...ive personally saw this same situation u are describing and they got ran off the field to get a license...didnt get ticketed but told them they had to leave to get a license if they wanted to contiunue to hunt
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:16 pm

License revenue and duck stamp money is used for good things, buy one and be safe.

If not, I would agree with calling the DNR, do not just ask a local warden because if you are checked by someone else it might be an issue.

Personally I have taken non hunters with me, but have always been youth or females and there were no licenses purchased. Never was checked while with a non hunter so could not say.

Was not aware SC had an apprentice license, if so is it valid for adults as well as youth?

That would seem a bit edgy/gray to me personally.

Thought the apprentice program was for those youth that had not completed hunter education to try out hunting. :huh:
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby anytime » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:29 pm

I had this same question about some guys who wanted to go sea duck hunting with me. I called the main office for DNR and the answer is, no they do not need a license. But they had better not touch a gun or help with the harvest of any birds, ie picking one up or carrying them to the truck. I also spoke to an agent in my area and he echoed the same thing.
anytime
Newb

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting