Magnet To Detect Steel Shot In Flesh?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Magnet To Detect Steel Shot In Flesh?

Postby Gen. Lee » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:57 am

Made a lot of duck and goose sausage last summer with left over waterfowl in the freezer. Have eaten most of it and, yesterday, for the first time, came across a piece of steel shot as I ate a pattie. Looked like a piece of #4 shot. No harm done to teeth, but could have happened.

Wondering if anyone uses a magnet to go over waterfowl flesh to find hidden shot. If so, what kind? How large/strong a magnet do you use?

Just for the heck of it I later took a refrigerator magnet and cupped the piece of shot in my hand. Sure enough, it stuck, but I doubt a refrigerator magnet is strong enough to find them buried in meat...

Any thoughts/experience to share?
Gen. Lee
hunter

Re: Magnet To Detect Steel Shot In Flesh?

Postby alanwebfoot » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:44 pm

hold up any suspected pieces of meat,, usually a breast filet ,,to a strong light ,you'll see an almost xray picture through the meat any shot [denser material] will show up plainly
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Maybe you could use one of these to look for shot? Woodworkers use it all the time to look for nails in used wood before reusing it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-volt-metal-detector-wand-94138.html
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Blacktail135 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:18 pm

That tool from HarborFreight looks like it would work great. I've been using something similar for a while now. It's called Savertooth. Lost a tooth (molar) once from a steel pellet. The filling got pushed into the tooth then split tooth 4 ways. On a weekend. It hurt. Good investment IMHO.
Blacktail135
hunter

Postby Gen. Lee » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:41 pm

That's a really great idea...The $40 price tag put me off at first until I thought of how expensive dental care is and how much of a hassle...

Helpful suggestions like this make internet sites worthwhile...Many thanks!
Gen. Lee
hunter

Postby sknighten » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:05 am

just saw your question about detecting steel shot. i recently emailed the garrett metal detector company about this exact issue. i got a reply back that stated they had something in their product line that would work for detecting steel shot in game. you may want to email them about it, or as i did, see if they would manufacture and market a detector for the waterfowler and/or shotgun hunter in general.
sknighten
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking