3" Hull Information

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: 3" Hull Information

Postby Ned S » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:17 pm

I just shoot the 2 3/4 Rio hulls once and then pitch them, they are free. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby pitted bore » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:25 am

Capt. Ahab wrote:Thanks BT-Great info there. I thought I might offer some images of hulls I recently cut to go along with your descriptions, and to bring up some general questions for anyone to answer. As answers are given, I will include that info and edit out the questions. Some of these are my own and others are from guys on the forum that I have saved. If it is your image and you would prefer to have it taken it down, no questions asked, just PM me. I really would like to see a general "Hull id & Information" sticky. I'm convinced that descriptions like the one you have posted here and the pics of hulls and cut hulls would be referenced time and time again.

Federal:
Federal Hulls: Gold Medal and Federal Integral Hulls(photo by vital_kill)

Capt. Ahab-

It appears that you copied this photo from a duckhuntingchat thread of Dec 2011: Thread on "Federal Hulls" Poster vital_kill included it in his post of Dec 06, 2011 6:56 pm.

The difficulty is that you are incorrect.The photo was not by vital_kill. The photo is mine, and I've posted it several times on shotgunworld.com, for example my post on that site from Nov 2, 2009: Hulls for Turkey Loads.

You are really not to be faulted; the problem was vital_kill's failure to make a proper attribution for the source of the image in his December posting.

It's not necessary to delete the photo from your post above. If it's useful, I'm pleased. It you could edit the post to show the photo was by "pitted bore from shotgunworld.com", that will be fine.

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore
Newb

Postby 3200 man » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Ned ,
The 2 3/4" blue Rio's with the short base wad , what kind of steelshot loads are you loading with the Rio primers ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 am

3200 man wrote:Ned ,
The 2 3/4" blue Rio's with the short base wad , what kind of steelshot loads are you loading with the Rio primers ?

FYI, Ned is no longer on this site.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 pm

BT Justice wrote:
Sagebrush wrote:the new win hulls with the 2nd pce base wad can cause problems with some wads with some load data,since
it sticks out a little and might keep a wad from going deep enough or other problems............ I have hear guys at the gun club say that they dont use the new style any more,due to its make up and have gone to other hulls that work without
any problems, no matter what powder or wad they use.

Win and Rem are both tapered hulls and maybe this new design makes things worse,who knows?
I do know that a Federal 12 so wad does not like the new style win hull,however...............

Sure is some good info and pictures on this post......................... !!!

All very good information....
For the New style HS hulls, I do see a lot of guys not using them or just tossing them. I just pick them up and use them, but you have to adapt a bit as many wads don't fit in them . For recipes that call for the WAA12 wad that won't fit just use the WAA12R wad, with the shorter leg section it works with those hulls very well. Claybuster makes a good copy of it so you can get them, at the trap range I didn't notice any difference in shooting loads with the WAA12R wad vs the WAA12 wad except for the fact I got lots of empties that no one seemed to want.... :biggrin:

I had problems reloading the new HS Win AA hulls with Clays powder when they first came out. No matter how I adjusted my Mec Grabber I would end up with a hole in the crimp or if I adjusted the hole out of the crimp the side of the shell buckled. It was a space issue. I started using Win 1 oz wads to reload 7/8 ounce loads and Win 1-1/8 oz wads to reload 1 oz loads and the new AAs reloaded great. I just have to back out the depth of the crimp 1 full turn.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:29 pm

I certainly enjoy your comments and analysis. Thank you for this insightful information.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Sun May 12, 2013 2:30 pm

The 2 on left are both 3" experts. I'd say the lower white base wad one is the we would use for steel. The 2 on right are tapered 3" that I think BT talks about in original post, they are 3" lead hulls.

"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:49 pm

I load 2 3/4" Remington STS hulls with steel.......

Since they are a tapered hull like the Win AA, I use the Sam 1 2 3/4 wad with either w209 or F209a primers and the Alliant Steel powder.
The Win AA are maxed out at one ounce but the Rem hull has data for a 1 1/8 oz. load at around 1430 fps which makes a real nice load for decoy work with 4 or #5's with the lower velocity.

I did notice with trap loads that the Gold hull split down the side more than the green hull did.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:14 am

SB,

Lyman's 5th has a AA HS or CF recipe for 1.125 oz load, Steel powder, Sam 1 wad, in 2 3/4' hull but it's only a 1240 fps load. Move over to a Winchester polyformed case w/plastic base wad and you can get that moving close to 1300 fps. Not anywhere close in velocity to that Rem load but would be ok in close quarters.

Where did you find that fast Rem load data? I've like to load that. :thumbsup:
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 pm

BTJ,

Say what published load data do you see out there for those Remington 3" hulls (nitro steel or hypersonic)?

My hulls are green with the same low yellow plastic base that you have photographed.

Thanks in advance.
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:44 pm

3200 man wrote:Ned ,

I quit using the Rio Primers and now using the Cheddite primer which is called for. I found if I resize the Rio hull with the primer out on a SuperSizer it causes primer pocket to get smaller allowing for a press fit.
I started to load 200 of these for my Pastor Son and myself for the next waterfowl season. I'll load a box at a time when Dona doesn't have me busy. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:41 am

What has these 2¾" Rio hulls to do with 3" hulls?
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 am

Lost

Just wondering if these hulls were loaded with TSS , would they be better than 3" or 3 1/2" loads ? :lol3:

I do like this hull for pitch-loads along with its Blue color making it easy to identify which load is in it .
They are easy to get as most ranges here , shooters just let them fly .
3200 man
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:27 am

To the Question

I was given about 350 3 1/2" Heavy Metal hulls ( once fired ) , thinking I could cut these down to 3" or 2 3/4" and
reload these with good round steel shot for longer distance shots . What hull type would these be compared to , that
I can use a recipe in in the manuals to duplicate .
3200 man
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 am

I would cut them back to 2¾" and roll crimp them after loading them with 1 oz of 7, 8 or 9 TSS.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 pm

3200 man wrote:To the Question

I was given about 350 3 1/2" Heavy Metal hulls ( once fired ) , thinking I could cut these down to 3" or 2 3/4" and
reload these with good round steel shot for longer distance shots . What hull type would these be compared to , that
I can use a recipe in in the manuals to duplicate .
Cheddite
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby geometric » Sun May 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Great info., The folks that Holler pull before they shoot make a big deal out of using a so called tapered wad in a so called tapered hull. I like to evaluate my loads based on how they perform, provided I have reliable data. Of course, hunting loads & hunting wads don't suffer from that affliction. I have never seen a non-toxic wad designated as a tapered wall wad nor am I sure which lead wads are supposed to be for what hull, except as stated in the reloading data. I am also not sure what Rem. has done with their hulls. Lyman's 4 th. Edition reloading manual calls the unibody hull a straight hull & lists separate data for it. The STS/Premier hull is called a tapered hull. The 5 th. Edition doesn't show the Gunclub hull but has the STS. Current traditional wisdom has it they all load the same. I do know that one piece hulls run much higher pressures almost invariably. Seemingly insignificant changes can make major differences in pressure. Looking at Hodgdon's data for Hevi Shot in 3" 12 ga. w/ 1.25 oz. of shot, the Win. plastic base hull has the best pressure to velocity ratio of all the hulls listed & has worked great for me in the field.
As far as primers are concerned, I am personally not sure but there has been a lot of discussion on the subject over at Shotgun World, mostly in regard to target shooting applications. Also, both Tom Armsbrust & Tom Roster have written articles on the subject.
geometric
hunter

Postby geometric » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:29 am

QUESTION: Does anybody know if Federal makes or has made their one piece hunting hull in 10 ga.? Seems like I remember seeing some once but I could be confusing the 10 ga. hulls with some 3" 12 ga. loads I had.
geometric
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 pm

geometric wrote:QUESTION: Does anybody know if Federal makes or has made their one piece hunting hull in 10 ga.? Seems like I remember seeing some once but I could be confusing the 10 ga. hulls with some 3" 12 ga. loads I had.
I have never seen any.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes