Hunting etiquette

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Hunting etiquette

Postby ohiopaul » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Have a question for my fellow Ohio hunters,What is the general rule of thumb while hunting public grounds for setting up near someone or another party? I have always used a rule of at least 300 yards or having a plan b and plan c ready just in case im running late.

The reason i ask is a friend and i went this morning early we got to our spot far ahead of anyone else and 30 mins before sun up 2 groups come in, one sets up directly across from us no less than 150 yards the other sets up on our backs so close you can hear their conversations. we got peppered with shot from one group when they water swat a woodie that landed in their spread and were just a general nuisance all day . The day might have been ruined if it were not for the amount of birds we have been seeing lately.
ohiopaul
hunter

Re: Hunting etiquette

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm

ohiopaul wrote:Have a question for my fellow Ohio hunters,What is the general rule of thumb while hunting public grounds for setting up near someone or another party? I have always used a rule of at least 300 yards or having a plan b and plan c ready just in case im running late.

The reason i ask is a friend and i went this morning early we got to our spot far ahead of anyone else and 30 mins before sun up 2 groups come in, one sets up directly across from us no less than 150 yards the other sets up on our backs so close you can hear their conversations. we got peppered with shot from one group when they water swat a woodie that landed in their spread and were just a general nuisance all day . The day might have been ruined if it were not for the amount of birds we have been seeing lately.

I view it your way. You got zero respect or consideration this morning. I can honestly say that at shooting light...I'd have been up fussing with things for an hour to keep any and all ducks from coming in.

I have told people before (that setup across from me, as they start to set up) that if they hunt there they will be shot at when ducks come in. Most move. Sorry to hear about your morning. I can't stand hunting in those circumstances.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby DannyLE » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:21 am

It's a big river...and OH is a big state. Hunt your own side and you won't have to worry about it. :mad:
DannyLE
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:40 am

DannyLE wrote:It's a big river...and OH is a big state. Hunt your own side and you won't have to worry about it. :mad:

You were the guy across from him? :huh:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby DannyLE » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 am

I wasn't even hunting on the river...but I've had so many people from OH come over here to WV and move in on me it's not even worth it anymore. I don't mean to get angry, we're all hunters regardless of what state we're from and we need to stick together, but it sure is frustrating sometimes. Sometimes it's hard to know where other people are when you're on the water before daylight. Personally, I would NEVER knowingly set up on someone...I think 300 yards is probably the minimum and as far as shooting toward someone???? That's just idiotic. Safety should be #1; no duck or goose is worth compromising someone's safety.
I apologize for my snippy tone and to my friends from over the river. :oops:
DannyLE
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:01 am

DannyLE wrote:I wasn't even hunting on the river...but I've had so many people from OH come over here to WV and move in on me it's not even worth it anymore. I don't mean to get angry, we're all hunters regardless of what state we're from and we need to stick together, but it sure is frustrating sometimes. Sometimes it's hard to know where other people are when you're on the water before daylight. Personally, I would NEVER knowingly set up on someone...I think 300 yards is probably the minimum and as far as shooting toward someone???? That's just idiotic. Safety should be #1; no duck or goose is worth compromising someone's safety.
I apologize for my snippy tone and to my friends from over the river. :oops:

:lol3: :lol3: I was gonna say...I don't think ohiopaul is even near the river. :lol3:

All I can say is if it's easy to get to - there will be someone else there with you.

If you go on prime days at prime hours - there will be someone there with you.

If you tell anyone where you go or post about it - there will be someone there with you.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohiopaul » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Hunt fish,

You are correct not near the river.
Wasnt easy to get to they dropped a boat off in a area that was off limits to vehicles
i do understand about the prime days, the best day i had this year was Christmas morning

My main goal for the upcoming season is to find some private land to hunt ducks on, i have plenty for field goose hunting.For the first year chasing ducks our group has done fairly well its just tough on public ground here in the middle of the state.

Danny no offense taken here im not daring enough to float the river yet.
ohiopaul
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Private land for ducks is pretty tough unless it's a an AG field that would keep geese also. But good luck - i have an idea where you are and there are some nice marsh areas on a wet year. Might have to imagine and speculate early in the year.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:26 pm

First come, first serve and "duck" means duck.
WOODIE13
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting