duck gumbo

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

duck gumbo

Postby pappy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:31 pm

i made this for the men at the church last week as we cooked pork bar-b-que.

this is along the lines of the duck commander gumbo but a little different.

first you need to make a roe. this is the base of the gumbo and is the most difficult step.

to make the roe start with 3 cups of flour and three cups of peanut oil. on medium low heat you cook this until it reaches a dark chocolate color. if it starts to smoke or boil reduce the heat or remove from heat until it cools down. if you scorch or burn the roe then you must start over and this process takes about an hour to reach the desired color.

once the roe reaches the color of a hershy bar add: four to five cups of green onions and three medium size white onions that have been chopped fine. also add at this time one whole large garlic smached or
minced. let simmer for ten minutes.

while all this is going on you need to boil about seven big ducks skin on in two separt large pots for about an hour to hour and a half along with salt ,black pepper and one bay leaf. your ducks need to be done when your roe is ready so you need to start your duck duck about one hour before you began cooking your roe. peel all the meat from the bones including skin and fat and add it to your gumbo along with three large packs of polish smoked sausage cut into chunks about the size of a quarter but just a tad thicker. pour most of the liquid that you boiled the ducks in into the gumbo. you are making about 4 gallons with this. the other pot you reserve most of the liguid to make your rice .

once you have added all of your ingredients add more black pepper and dont be shy with it plus two teaspoons of red ceyenne pepper plus one bottle of texas pete, salt, and a generous amount of tony chacheries cajun seasoning.

let everthing simmer for about 4.5 to 5 hours. stiring gently every 45 minutes then add about 2 pounds of small shrimp to the mix and let it simmer for about another 45 minutes.

about thirty minutes before you get ready to serve boil your rice in the reserved duck liquid and serve along with the duck giblets in it.

fill a soup bowl about half full of rice and top off with a generous serving of gumbo. garnish with chopped green shalots more tony chacheries and texas pete and grated cheese. or if you are true louisanna duckman add filee which is shaved sasafrass root. either way this guarenteed to make a puppy break his chain.

i made 4 gallons of this stuff and less than a half pint was left. :thumbsup:

pappy
pappy
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:39 pm

Sounds yummy, gumbo is always a good choice for a potluck cuz its easy to make a hugh pot....makes me hungry. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pappy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:00 am

oooooooooooops sorry left out an ingredient. when you get to the stage when you start to simmer also add two bags of cut okra.

:thumbsup: pappy :thumbsup:
pappy
hunter

o

Postby jpm49878 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:05 pm

hey pal i mad some duck gumbo two weeks ago. i found a pack of gumbo starter, then added some duck and shrimp. i also addes some white rice into the mixture. yum yum.
I WAS BORN IN THE MARSH, I WILL DIE IN THE MARSH
jpm49878
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking