Tell Me More About Field Hunting

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Tell Me More About Field Hunting

Postby luie b » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:54 pm

I didn't really realize that some guys were classified as "field hunters." I hunted fields mostly this year but that was just out of that was the only good place I had to go because the water freezed on ponds. After doing it, I started kinda liking it more than over water and stuff because at the same time we were also effectively hunting geese, too. Now, all this occurred after Dec. 1 so this was after a decent amount of mallards were around for us to hunt. What I'm wondering is, how's the field hunting in all parts of the duck season? What I'm saying is, is it as good as hunting over water in the first weeks of the season (late October) when most ducks around are teal, woodies, and gadwall? I'm just kind of thinking that maybe the money I do have to spend on waterfowl for next season, maybe should be more heavily invested in stuff for field hunting. And if I bought better goose decoys then they would be able to be used for duck and goose seasons making it an even better reason to buy the good ones. I'm just looking for experiences on hunting fields in all parts of the duck season and any thoughts or experiences from you guys :biggrin:
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Re: Tell Me More About Field Hunting

Postby bulletman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Just askin'-- whatcha gonna do next year if it doesn't freeze (water) and run the duck to fields before season is almost over?
bulletman
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:59 pm

I have had ducks in my spread during September, october,november and december this year. Wheat then corn. I would say late season is better.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby Nick Roehl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 pm

I don't even remember the last time I did a water hunt. We kill a lot of birds in ND field hunting. I would rather lay in a blind then be balls deep in ND mud and stink.
Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:37 am

I mostly field hunt geese. With how much water and marshes here around our area and access being a issue, I'll target in on ducks on the water. Though it seems once the farm ponds and marshes freeeze up here where I'm at, field hunting mallards can turn hot.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting