Duck Hunting Forum banner

9 years and Counting

3K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  duckslaya_187 
#1 ·
This past Monday I was hunting a local lake where you typically don't see canvasbacks. Well the morning was slow going and my two hunting buddies ever getting hungry so I decided to cook breakfast. As I prepared the meal, one of the guys said hey there's a duck in the decoys. I thought he was referring to a coot instead of a DUCK. So I didn't think much about it until he said I'm not playing there's a duck in your spread. So I stood up and low and behold....A big mature Canvasback.....I asked for my gun....By now the "Can" is a good 70 yards on the water. I aimed and shot...3 times. Sprayed the ole boy good but didn't pack enough punch to kill him!!! Been waiting to kill one for 9 years!!! Hunting really can kick you in the balls at times.....But its that chance and hungry that keeps you coming back and the hope of landing a limit or a favorite bird!!!!

#3 ·
So you essentially skyblasted the bird except he was sitting on the water. You sprayed him good? I wouldn't shoot at a duck that far and risk wounding him, but maybe my ethics are different than yours. I definitely wouldn't get on here and tell everybody about it either. :no:

#4 ·
duckbuster06 said:
quackstacker2 said:
This past Monday I was hunting a local lake where you typically don't see canvasbacks. Well the morning was slow going and my two hunting buddies ever getting hungry so I decided to cook breakfast. As I prepared the meal, one of the guys said hey there's a duck in the decoys. I thought he was referring to a coot instead of a DUCK. So I didn't think much about it until he said I'm not playing there's a duck in your spread. So I stood up and low and behold....A big mature Canvasback.....I asked for my gun....By now the "Can" is a good 70 yards on the water. I aimed and shot...3 times. Sprayed the ole boy good but didn't pack enough punch to kill him!!! Been waiting to kill one for 9 years!!! Hunting really can kick you in the balls at times.....But its that chance and hungry that keeps you coming back and the hope of landing a limit or a favorite bird!!!!
So you essentially skyblasted the bird except he was sitting on the water. You sprayed him good? I wouldn't shoot at a duck that far and risk wounding him, but maybe my ethics are different than yours. I definitely wouldn't get on here and tell everybody about it either. :no:
Look bud...opinions are like butt holes...everyone has one!!! I could careless what you think I should or shouldn't of done. I was sharing a short story. I know several guys on here that would of done the same thing I did. Sorry Mr. President, but I bet you've done a little sky busting and water swatting in your time too and will still probably do!!!! So don't try to feed these dudes on here how much of a conservationist you are and all the ethics you possess when you'd done the same thing!!!!

#5 ·
I can tell you I wouldn't have tried to water swat a diver at that range. Had you of crippled him you wouldn't have gotten him. I have had ample experiance with crippled divers. I hate losing crips as it is a waste of the resource.

I have to agree it wasn't the most ethical shot to take and most long time hunters won't take such a shot and besides who wants to say they waterswatted their first Bull Can??? Not saying I haven't waterswatted ducks or taken the occasionial long shot because I have. That still doesn't make it right.

Mayes

#7 ·
I would not have taken a 70 yard shot at a duck, much less a nice canvasback. Don't expect to post a story like that on a water fowling forum and not expect to get a reply like mine. If you don't believe me, post this story in the puddle duck forum or honey hole and see what everybody says. I'm sure my reply would seem tame compared to most.

#8 ·
JamieDuck1993 said:
What kind of ducks are these? my cousin said they were canvas backs but I think he is pulling my leg. We was at brackley the other day and the bay was full of them.

Nice!!!!

#9 ·
duckbuster06 said:
I would not have taken a 70 yard shot at a duck, much less a nice canvasback. Don't expect to post a story like that on a water fowling forum and not expect to get a reply like mine. If you don't believe me, post this story in the puddle duck forum or honey hole and see what everybody says. I'm sure my reply would seem tame compared to most.
What he said.

#11 ·
For One of my buddies, this was his first time hunting.... The second buddy, this is his first season!!! All my other hunting buddies are getting married or just about too... So I have to go with these two guys the most!! Johnny and Nat seem to always be hunting when I'm working and vice versa.... So basically they had no idea what type of duck it was!!

#22 ·
Hey
....I wasn't inviting you to tag along on a hunt!!!! And second, I never shoot at ducks over 35 yards....But when I've been waiting for years to bag a big Can. I'm pretty sure 70 yards was the last thing that entered my mind.

#25 ·
besides the moral code some and some don't go by why are we arguing about this? He didn't cripple the duck, i do believe at some point in time we have all done something others didn't see was right. So why argue about it, its not solving anything at all.

#26 ·
Really who gives a crap??? People do way worse things than shoot at a duck at 70 yards. Thats actaully a killable range with some of the loads today. People shoot turkey at that range all the time and people shoot elk at 1000 yards all the time (check youtube). All I'm saying is its a duck. I know this guy and let me tell you, if he had crippled that bird I guarantee that he would have been out there in his boat biting its head withing 2 minutes. So everyone back off I'm sure you've done more stupid things in life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.